Rear-seat Dvd

I'm about to buy a 2006 Dealer-demo RX350 and understand that the nav-screen can play dvd movies etc whilst the car is stationary..

However, to keep the rug-rats happy, I want to add a dvd system for the rear seats - either the overhead or headrest type.

Lexus appear not to offer either a product or any recommendations and I was hoping that someone else may have already installed a system in their RX.

Any advice will be welcomed.

So far, the best unit I've seen is a Kenwood 10.2" overhead unit for about $1400 plus fitting from JB HiFi. I'm a little reluctant to allow these guys to hack into the roof-lining however, in case they do a less than stellar job and thus spoil the interior of the car.

Without wanting to sound like a wnnkrr, I'm prepared to spend whatever is neccesary to get a good solution that enhances the interior and provides an experience thats commensurate with the Lexus image/quality...

Any ideas?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Lexus appear not to offer either a product or any recommendations and I was hoping that someone else may have already installed a system in their RX.

Huh ? Who told you that ? :blink:

Lexus have their own DVD system available as an accessory for the RX : http://www.melbcitylexus.com.au/default.cf...p;productid=561

Contact your dealer for more info - there are also details on the system in the Oz RX brouchure.

Huh ? Who told you that ? :blink:

Lexus have their own DVD system available as an accessory for the RX : http://www.melbcitylexus.com.au/default.cf...p;productid=561

Contact your dealer for more info - there are also details on the system in the Oz RX brouchure.

Actually, I've confrmed directly with Lexus Custoer Service that there isn't a Lexus-approved/supplied DVD solution, that Melbourne Lexus's website is either out-of-date or its 3rd-party solution, and that its definitely not in the RX-series brochure as currently supplied to Lexus delaers.

Which is why I asked my original question....

• 2 months later...

www.lexusofchatswood.com.au look the answer to rear dvd entertainment is a couple of choices 1st choice is roof mount dvd unit that is a clarion unit with 4 year warranty just like factory warranty you get by lexus second choice is headrest monitors same quality as the screen in the front of your car in the factory sat nav so the brand name is eclipse and no lexus does not have geniune dvd units anymore the one s that used to supply anyway were audiovox which went out of buisness last year and were not the best quality anyway so my recommendation would be to ring or go to the link supplied and quiz them about the issue as they seem to have all the answers and do a great custom job which is up to the lexus quality that you expect

• 5 months later...
I'm about to buy a 2006 Dealer-demo RX350 and understand that the nav-screen can play dvd movies etc whilst the car is stationary..

However, to keep the rug-rats happy, I want to add a dvd system for the rear seats - either the overhead or headrest type.

Any advice will be welcomed.

So far, the best unit I've seen is a Kenwood 10.2" overhead unit for about $1400 plus fitting from JB HiFi. I'm a little reluctant to allow these guys to hack into the roof-lining however, in case they do a less than stellar job and thus spoil the interior of the car.

Without wanting to sound like a wnnkrr, I'm prepared to spend whatever is neccesary to get a good solution that enhances the interior and provides an experience thats commensurate with the Lexus image/quality...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Have you got this sorted out yet? The cheapest option is to purchase two head rest screens for the rear passengers and have a car audio technician guy hook it up to your OEM Lexus Navigation System. The unit will need to be taken out in order to electronically install an AV output to the unit as it does not come standard with this ouput. Once the ouput is in place, it's just a matter of hooking the headrest screens to the AV output and there you have it. The trick is to remove or disabled the factory setting that won't let you watch DVD while you're driving. For me the whole purpose of doing this is so that the kids at the back can watch DVDs and give you the peace of mind on long trips. I have this install on my new IS250 and it's great. Anyone who owns a Lexus with the OEM Nav system and have kids should go for this. Total cost...? you can buy the headrest screens with the headrest from eBay with the to match your interior(saving you from spending extra money on custom fit into your original headrest)...$200(from HK). Allow another $600 for the full installation. Prepare to go without your car for about 2 days cos the unit usually has to be sent away to get the AV output installed onto the OEM Nav system. Email me if you have questions. swo00p@yahoo.com.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Lexus Dealer offered me one from the brochure, being 7.0", but we found one thats 11.0", If you want the name just ask. You cant see out the back when it is down, but the clarity is amazing, and i can put the sound through the radio, if we all want to hear.

Hope that helped

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

An older thread, but I'm looking to adding a 3rd party rear-seat DVD unit myself.

I've got a few friends who own Klugers, and for what it's worth - they've advised me that the headrest units are much better than the overhead units.

Problem with overhead units is that the kids end up with crook necks, having to bend their neck backwards to view the screen. And from what I gather, there's a restriction on how far down the overhead unit can come down (makes sense, as too low - and it starts impeding your rear vision mirror view).

Head units are much better – but there’s a small problem… you need someone qualified to actually tear a hole in the headrest or you buy a compatible headrest fitted with a screen.

And that’s only the start of it – wiring, making sure it’s compatible with your front unit, turning off safety screen etc…

Either way, it’s an expensive exercise ;)