Some Advice For A Novice

Hi Guys,

This is quite long - my apologies as it is my first post.

I am completely new to modifying cars but have become extremely interested it over the last few months. I have found this forum very helpful but i do have some specific questions i was hoping you guys could help me out with.

First off, my car is a V6 2.0 Lexus IS 200 [Australian version/auto] As you all know 114Kw and 195 Nm is not exactly thrilling. But i really like the ride of the chassis and comfort/look of the car. You can see it here

http://www.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/locnz?page=44

I have started with lowering 35mm all round, dark tint and 17" 16 spoke limited edition Lexus wheels. I have just ordered a TRD air filter [to go into the standard box]

What exactly will the TRD air filter achieve for me? I thought for less $200AU is was worth trying out.

My aims for this car over time are below and i was wanting to know the best way to achieve them

1) I have no interest in big body kits or huge exhaust/muffler systems. I do like the TRD grille though which i will do next! I dont mind modifying the exhaust system as long as it is discreet and doesnt look like there is a bowl haging off the back of the car.

What is the standard diameter of the exhaust on the IS 200 Aussie edition?

2) I want the car to stay as stock as possible in looks so i am not hunted by police and insurance.

3) I am aiming to get 125-130KW [not at the wheels] and 220-250Nm [not at the wheels] or basically increase the bottom end power as the stock sucks and that is putting it nicely. Can i get to this without a supercharger?

4) It seems to be really sluggish between 1st and second gear changes in the auto box - what is the best way to improve this? Is UNICHIP a good idea?

5) And finally an estimate in AUS dollars to achieve it...

These questions have pobably been answered a million times in the forum before - if they have i apologize to put you all through it again

Thank you all for you time.

Matt

Hunt down the TRD/Qualitat specs of Altezza Girl or Gav, as they have 156kw out of your engine. (not a V6 actually...) You can get a boost from an intake system and a free-flow exhaust, but more than about 10kw starts to cost a lot. The next would be an aftermarket computer, and after that it's taking the engine apart to up the compression.

One of the noticeable differences between the 6 and the 4 is the compression ratio. The six is smooth and lazy, whereas the four buzzes and vibrates with a comp ratio that was in racing cars only a decade ago.

I don't know about improving the auto box change, I've never owned an auto...

keith

Matt,

I think you did a big mistake not getting the filter off me, you have atleast wasted $50, also the TRD FIlter is no longer the best for the IS200...Tom's has just released a new filter and it has a far better air flow compare to the TRD, plus it will be cheaper! For 10-15 more kw I would prefer you to get a Trust Intake System and a Oval Shaped Muffler...That will garantee you a 15rwkw (20kw) with S-AFC II Tuned...As for the TRD Grille, I m doing a groupbuy on it so I m sure you can also save alot on that!

Keith Have to correct you, TRD did not tuned the Modellista IS200 (Quadlitat) It was only performance mag thought... ;)

Matt I have a great knowledge on the IS200/300 so if you ever need any help, either questions or parts let me know and I will do my best to help, welcome to our site and hope you will find it useful!

Matt :D

Hi Guys,

This is quite long - my apologies as it is my first post.

I am completely new to modifying cars but have become extremely interested it over the last few months. I have found this forum very helpful but i do have some specific questions i was hoping you guys could help me out with.

First off, my car is a V6 2.0 Lexus IS 200 [Australian version/auto] As you all know 114Kw and 195 Nm is not exactly thrilling. But i really like the ride of the chassis and comfort/look of the car. You can see it here

http://www.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/locnz?page=44

I have started with lowering 35mm all round, dark tint and 17" 16 spoke limited edition Lexus wheels. I have just ordered a TRD air filter [to go into the standard box]

What exactly will the TRD air filter achieve for me? I thought for less $200AU is was worth trying out.

My aims for this car over time are below and i was wanting to know the best way to achieve them

1) I have no interest in big body kits or huge exhaust/muffler systems. I do like the TRD grille though which i will do next! I dont mind modifying the exhaust system as long as it is discreet and doesnt look like there is a bowl haging off the back of the car.

What is the standard diameter of the exhaust on the IS 200 Aussie edition?

2) I want the car to stay as stock as possible in looks so i am not hunted by police and insurance.

3) I am aiming to get 125-130KW [not at the wheels] and 220-250Nm [not at the wheels] or basically increase the bottom end power as the stock sucks and that is putting it nicely. Can i get to this without a supercharger?

4) It seems to be really sluggish between 1st and second gear changes in the auto box - what is the best way to improve this? Is UNICHIP a good idea?

5) And finally an estimate in AUS dollars to achieve it...

These questions have pobably been answered a million times in the forum before - if they have i apologize to put you all through it again

Thank you all for you time.

Matt

Unfortunately, prices in Aust are far too high for imported parts/accessories. I purchased some TRD Sports Air Filters from HK and they worked out about $88 AUD each :D