1998 Ls400 Instrument Cluster Fault Finding

Hi guys,

I have a post in the US forums on this subject, but in brief summary my revs, speedo, fuel and temp would all cut out after 10 minutes driving. Yet turn the car off for 10 minutes and they worked again for another 10 minutes.

Being the 1998 the multifunction display at the bottom would still work as a fuel gauge and indicate any faults so felt reasonably safe continuing to drive (just couldn't over take anyone else I risked excessive speeding fines!) So took the car to a couple of places to try and find the fault and 8 weeks later the last guy fried the board completely. Great.

So asked dealer how much for a new part, he quoted a number so huge I can't justify the cost of replacement. So the only alternative is a second hand part.

Does anyone know someone who is wrecking a 1998 LS and has part number 83800-50070 available?

I am based north of Auckland in NZ, but work part-time in the UK so can probably source from there (thats were my '92 LS400 is parked right now!).

Any leads/info greatly appreciated as I have an expensive piece of driveway furniture at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I have a post in the US forums on this subject, but in brief summary my revs, speedo, fuel and temp would all cut out after 10 minutes driving. Yet turn the car off for 10 minutes and they worked again for another 10 minutes.

Being the 1998 the multifunction display at the bottom would still work as a fuel gauge and indicate any faults so felt reasonably safe continuing to drive (just couldn't over take anyone else I risked excessive speeding fines!) So took the car to a couple of places to try and find the fault and 8 weeks later the last guy fried the board completely. Great.

hi, im wrecking a 95 ls400, i will check the part number out and get back to you