Are there any recommendations running in the engine on the is250? I asked the dealer and he pretty much said you can thrash it from day 1.

I remember distinctly when I got the merc 3 yrs back they told me to do a combination of short, intermediate and long drives, dont rev above 6000rpm or use the tiptronic until past 5000km.

I am at 988km on the lexus so far and have only opened it up once or twice in sports mod redlining it prior to buying it...I dont know whether to believe the dealer, or drive it easy for the first few thousand kms.

any comments?

Are there any recommendations running in the engine on the is250? I asked the dealer and he pretty much said you can thrash it from day 1.

I remember distinctly when I got the merc 3 yrs back they told me to do a combination of short, intermediate and long drives, dont rev above 6000rpm or use the tiptronic until past 5000km.

I am at 988km on the lexus so far and have only opened it up once or twice in sports mod redlining it prior to buying it...I dont know whether to believe the dealer, or drive it easy for the first few thousand kms.

any comments?

everyone has a different opinion regarding this. me personally i have always driven it moderately in the first 1000, not babying it but not thrashing it either. i did read on clublexus or my.is forums that you only need 10-15 wots and you're set and then you can pretty much do whatever you want. apparently if you baby the engine in the early stages it will never make full power. don't hold me to that, it's just what i read on another lexus forum!

any comments?

everyone has a different opinion regarding this. me personally i have always driven it moderately in the first 1000, not babying it but not thrashing it either. i did read on clublexus or my.is forums that you only need 10-15 wots and you're set and then you can pretty much do whatever you want. apparently if you baby the engine in the early stages it will never make full power. don't hold me to that, it's just what i read on another lexus forum!

some additonal reading:

http://my.is/forums/f127/lexus-is250-break...od-help-340536/

http://my.is/forums/f136/engine-break-question-356250/

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=40551

You were told this due to the fact that the engines are pre-run prior to delivery. In my opinion, treat it the same way that you have always run an engine in. Go through the rev range for the first 1000k. Don't go stupid on a cold engine obviously. You would have to imagine, if tolerances have not been created,ie. the bedding in process, you are better off on the non-balistic side rather then pushing too hard too early. I still believe in the ol' oil change prior to the 15k service, (not that I have done mine yet).

Don't think that you can really go wrong now at this stage!!