hi all

my tyres that came with the new wheels i got were ok when they were new...... now about 80% worn and my car sounds like a 4wd and in the wet is quite dangerous.

does any one recomend a good tyre for set of 18's at an average price?

nice quite tyre.

any ideas what to do with old ones?

Depends at what price you're looking at, how "quiet" you want your ride and what size your 18's are (some obviously way more expensive then others).

Kumho do pretty good low profile tyres for a decent price. I have Kumho KU31's in 225/40R18 form. They could be a little quieter but they are a great performing tyre that don't hit the budget too hard.

Toyo Teo Plus's are nice quiet tyres aswell for a bit more then the Kumho's I mentioned.

Different people judge quietness and price differently so its hard to tell.

Depends at what price you're looking at, how "quiet" you want your ride and what size your 18's are (some obviously way more expensive then others).

Kumho do pretty good low profile tyres for a decent price. I have Kumho KU31's in 225/40R18 form. They could be a little quieter but they are a great performing tyre that don't hit the budget too hard.

Toyo Teo Plus's are nice quiet tyres aswell for a bit more then the Kumho's I mentioned.

Different people judge quietness and price differently so its hard to tell.

Yeah i should have mentioned that they are 225/40/18

Appreciate your input tho. Thanks. Just trying to see whats out there and opinions on the tires.

I want a fairly quite tire and smooth comfort.

What price were yours

Well I actually work at a tyre shop so my tyres were just a little cheaper then what you are going to pay. Off the top of my head they retail around $300 - $320 per tyre (I wouldn't know for sure off the top of my head though). My tyres are a little more agressive then you probably want though with road noise I guess I'd gauge as low-mid level.

The Toyo Teo Plus would be a nice tyre for you I think, very quiet and smooth at a reasonable price and I think perhaps the Kumho KU21 might be alright in this particular size delivering a nice ride at a reasonable price.

If you want the best of both worlds with a nice ride and good performance go Michelin however they will be expensive. If you want the best performance go a Pirelli PZero however you won't get as quieter ride and again it will be quite expensive (then again most in your size will be expensive, haha!).

By the sounds of it go the Toyo, it will deliver great ride comfort at an affordable price. But I guess you have to weigh up your budget wth what you want out of your tyre.

Well I actually work at a tyre shop so my tyres were just a little cheaper then what you are going to pay. Off the top of my head they retail around $300 - $320 per tyre (I wouldn't know for sure off the top of my head though). My tyres are a little more agressive then you probably want though with road noise I guess I'd gauge as low-mid level.

The Toyo Teo Plus would be a nice tyre for you I think, very quiet and smooth at a reasonable price and I think perhaps the Kumho KU21 might be alright in this particular size delivering a nice ride at a reasonable price.

If you want the best of both worlds with a nice ride and good performance go Michelin however they will be expensive. If you want the best performance go a Pirelli PZero however you won't get as quieter ride and again it will be quite expensive (then again most in your size will be expensive, haha!).

By the sounds of it go the Toyo, it will deliver great ride comfort at an affordable price. But I guess you have to weigh up your budget wth what you want out of your tyre.

Wow. Cool thanks so much your a legend. If i was to pay 150 to 200 hundred how do you

thinnk i would go getting a quite comfy ride?

Where does the toyo come into the price range. I dont think ill pay over 250 due to budget problems though..

How about falkens. Azenis st-115 in particular are they still made and at what cost

Honestly dude $150 -$200 isn't gonna get you a great tyre, certainly not one that is nice and comfy. I consider my tyres middle of the range and I paid in the upper part of your bracket for them and I purchased the tyres direct from the supplier.

I'm not sure exactly what there is out there but off the top of my head you will want to be spending around the top of your budget for a nice tyre. The Toyo I believe is around $320+ (maybe more) each RRP.

Falkens? I don't really rate them and personally wouldn't put them on my car or suggest it to a fellow Lexus owner.

Unfortunately mate you have pretty low profile 18" tyres and they're not cheap!

Honestly dude $150 -$200 isn't gonna get you a great tyre, certainly not one that is nice and comfy. I consider my tyres middle of the range and I paid in the upper part of your bracket for them and I purchased the tyres direct from the supplier.

I'm not sure exactly what there is out there but off the top of my head you will want to be spending around the top of your budget for a nice tyre. The Toyo I believe is around $320+ (maybe more) each RRP.

Falkens? I don't really rate them and personally wouldn't put them on my car or suggest it to a fellow Lexus owner.

Unfortunately mate you have pretty low profile 18" tyres and they're not cheap!

Yeah. My budget has to be reclvised lol. Its ok though. I got some prices today i now realise that im going to have to pay alot more then i expected. But i really want it done just will be a little post poned. I was offered dunlops today for 300. Aparently reduced from 410. Im kicking myself tho i cant remember which dulop it was.

Mate your a legend thanks for your help.

Mate had a look at work today and I suggest these two tyres (couldn't remember which patterns came in 225/40R18 you see)

Toyo TASW - Nice smooth quiet tyre. You should be able to get for $230 - $250 each. Really good design and comfort levels for the price.

Federal FD2 - Very good design IMO from a decent brand that you may not have heard of. You are looking in excess of $270 for one but I rate this tyre very highly for its price.

Either one of these will be good, perhaps the Toyo even moreso for yourself due to the pricing.

And when you are getting quotes ask the following questions they will be pretty useful.

- Is fitting and balancing included in the price? (some dodgier places won't include this in the cost of "a tyre")

- What sort of balance do I get with it? (Some places do more then one types of balancing and for a low profile tyre you will want/need a good balance.)

- How much is tyre disposal? (some places don't include this in the price and lets be honest your not going to keep you sh*tty ones for memories)

-How much is a wheel alignment? Any discount with the purchase of tyres? (If you are getting new tyres I would also want a wheel alignment, you not only want your car driving nice but you want your new tyres to wear evenly. And a tyre shop isn't in a shopping centre, they can knock money off the price!)

Go get 'em tiger! :P

• 4 weeks later...