Is200 Premium Sound System. Really?

Hi Everyone,

I bought a IS200 Caliente and was keen to see how good the "premium sound system" was. Much to my disappointment it was average. I guess back in the days (2002) it may have been considered good, however in todays terms, the base is a little weak. In my opinion for sound quality, the treble is reasonably good, the mid range is average and the lower range is average. You really need to crank the system up to get good audio quality with more mid-low base response.

What is everyone elses thoughts.

Hi Everyone,

I bought a IS200 Caliente and was keen to see how good the "premium sound system" was. Much to my disappointment it was average. I guess back in the days (2002) it may have been considered good, however in todays terms, the base is a little weak. In my opinion for sound quality, the treble is reasonably good, the mid range is average and the lower range is average. You really need to crank the system up to get good audio quality with more mid-low base response.

What is everyone elses thoughts.

it probably doesnt have the premium sound system installed. The premium has an amp installed under the glove box and higher quality speakers. im sure someone will correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure this is a premium sound system and the standard wont have them.

i took the standard stuff out not that there was anything wrong with it (left lexus speakers) i installed a dvd screen but i found in both my is 200's (first and now) they both had this amp and the sound quality was fantastic and is still fantastic because of the fantastic quality speakers and a good quility deck.

also perhaps you have a cracked speaker??

to sum things up. standard is200 premium sound systems are fantastic IMO. but perhaps you may not have the premium sound system. or cracked speakers. (IMO)

others may have had diff experiences.

I'm sure it has the premium sound system installed. Like I said, at a low sound level, there isn't much base range, but when you crank it up to a louder level, it does come through. I'm comparing from experiences in other (less premium cars) e.g Honda Euro and even Holden.

I'm hoping it isn't due to cracked/blown speakers. I checked and didn't see any noticable cracks (if its that obvious). I must say I did have an accident and when the repair guys returned the car they had the volume on MAX!!. (I had to return the car a number of times for this and that, so I think I pissed them off), and when I turned on the system, I saw it was on max and within a split second I quickly turned it down with only a verrrry short burst of loud sound. I'm hoping that split second of sound didn't F@# up my speakers.

With blown speakers I think they usually crackle alot or not even work, but I don't have any of these issues... guess I'll just need to turn the volume up a little more ;-)

• 2 years later...

Hey Guys,

Yeah my sound system was cranking at the start, After having the dvd nav player installed they seem to have bypassed that amp and has just taken the sound back to *BLEEP* stock.

Lost all sub sound as it was mint quality before the install.

Will have to get that looked at.. Has anyone had this problem?

Cheeeers

• 3 weeks later...

well when i changed my head unit to a sony x plod dvd player i tried running my speaker off the amp under the dash and then off the dvd unit it self and i found it has better sound from the dvd player i quess it comes down to the quailty of the unit you are replacing it with

• 2 weeks later...

standard sound systems are fantastic, however they do deteriorate with age. I have a 03 IS200 and i admit over the years I think the speakers have taken a decent beating. I'd upgrade the speakers if you can for the extra quality you are after. However I still find the standard headunit + amp to be the best sound system I've heard so far bar the mcintosh in subaru and mark levinson in the high range lexus.

• 2 weeks later...