I recently has my 30,000km service and had the opportunity to drive the 2009 IS.

I noticed the change in paddle shift function in the 2009 model versus my 2008. You can automatically use the paddle shifts without putting the gear lever into sports mode. Once it senses your not using the paddle shifts anymore it goes back into normal mode.

I think this function was great and really handy.

I asked the dealer (Brighton Lexus) whether I could get this upgrade in my 2008 model. She rang a mechanic and said it wasn't possible. I would have thought it would be a software update of some sort.

Has anyone managed to upgrade this in the pre 2009 models?

I did not know that you can use the paddle at will without engaging sports model. :unsure:

Thinking about it, the system shifts at the optimal level (fully auto mode), if you do it manually wouldn't this be a negative thing interms of optimal gear changes?

I tend to use the paddle shifts for downshifting and engine braking, especially from freeway speeds. I just found it easier not putting it Sports mode then using the paddles.

It was $539.65

Where did you have it done? I got quoted $700+ (base charge only) for mine from SCL, and I'm booked for next Monday. I thought that was a bit too much!

It was $539.65

Where did you have it done? I got quoted $700+ (base charge only) for mine from SCL, and I'm booked for next Monday. I thought that was a bit too much!

Oops, my mistake. Should have read your original post first.

It was stupid of me to actually tried this feat lol...i tried shifting the level in auto mode and it didn't work... :rolleyes: not a 2009er.