Hi All

I just got my 2008 Lexus Sports which has 11,000 km on the clock. (built in 2007,but first reg in 2008). I found the engine when left idling sounds like a small diesel engine. It has this small periodic tappet type noise. It sounds like one of the those diesel vans or trucks with the volume turned down. but once you start driving, it sounds like a normal petrol engine.

when you stop and put in P, the sound comes back.

Does anyone know if this is normal ??

thanks for the inputs

I'd be getting that checked out for sure. Mine is quiet as a mouse and definately no tapping noise. I have done 15000km and still running perfect (touch wood :o )

Keep us posted.

I'd be getting that checked out for sure. Mine is quiet as a mouse and definately no tapping noise. I have done 15000km and still running perfect (touch wood :o )

Keep us posted.

Thanks Franky for the response

I got Ryan from Lexus Blackburn to check it for me. It turns out to be perfectly normal. It is the fuel pump making the sound. and it is at the driver side, as you stand towards the passenger side, you can hear it less. He says because it is a direct injection engine, the fuel needs to be pumped from 40 psi to 120psi or something hence the pump making that noise. It does sound better from the passenger side. He started another car just to show me the exact same sound is produced under the hood. he also suggests it gets louder when the engine is warmer up too which is quite true from my experience as when I started my car this morning, the noise was a lot better than by the time I got to work.

So there it is. Phew there is nothing wrong with my baby (thank god).

I will upload some video with the sound of my car later, so you guys can compare to yours. see if it is normal.

cheers

Great forum!

Hi Uad,

I too had the same concern as it is quite loud as you say. Rest assured, my engine has exhibited it since day dot and it has not changed even slightly to this very day. Currently im on 17k. As you have been told, it is my understanding that it is quite normal!!

Hi Uad,

I too had the same concern as it is quite loud as you say. Rest assured, my engine has exhibited it since day dot and it has not changed even slightly to this very day. Currently im on 17k. As you have been told, it is my understanding that it is quite normal!!

thanks for the information ProjectIS and now my mind is at ease and i can sleep tight at night LOL

Good stuff

Cheers