Paint Protection

... guys some clown keyed my isf. Chatswood lexus are painting it for me but I wanted to get some paint protection, any suggestions?

Jay

Edited by Lexus Nerd
Edited for relevance to this forum

Sorry to hear :/

I'm very happy with opticoat and can reccomend a detailer who applies this (Frank @ bright shine mobile) he has worked on 2x of my cars, extremely professional.

Sorry to hear :/

I'm very happy with opticoat and can reccomend a detailer who applies this (Frank @ bright shine mobile) he has worked on 2x of my cars, extremely professional.

Does Opticoat protect against deliberate keying ?

... guys some clown keyed my isf. Chatswood lexus are painting it for me but I wanted to get some paint protection, any suggestions?

Jay

Wow sorry to hear..an ISF too!.. I wonder why people key other peoples cars... It's so messed up..

I was at a car park and there was a dark grey 2010 2IS and someone keyed the whole side of the car..literally from edge to edge!

Can you feel the scratch with your finger nail?

And was you car keyed in a car park?

Spec, I dont think any product would do that (only something like ventureguard/3M film that you can apply to the front of a car etc - but people generally key doors etc not the front)

"Opti-Coat is not a wax, nano or
sealant that will degrade over short periods of time. Think of it as
being another ceramic layer to your factory clear coat, only harder, and
with a higher resistance to staining."

more info :

http://www.brightshinemobile.com/permanent-paint-protection.html

or just google.

very happy with this product have had it on a volkswagen GTI (done by Dave @ Reflect Effect - Parramatta) and my 2011 and 2013 350 by Frank @ bright shine mobile.

Sorry to hear JayJay........jealous people with tiny minds.

Think of it as
being another ceramic layer to your factory clear coat, only harder

You can think of it as Kryptonite if you want but its not................nor is it harder than ceramic.

It would be done from factory if it were.

Nothing beats good quality wax done from time to time. A good det

Sorry to hear JayJay........jealous people with tiny minds.

Think of it as

being another ceramic layer to your factory clear coat, only harder

You can think of it as Kryptonite if you want but its not................nor is it harder than ceramic.

It would be done from factory if it were.

Nothing beats good quality wax done from time to time. A good det

I see, so it won't help Jay Jay's case. Only a good ol' fashion cane at the right time can sort that out :)

Opticoat is expensive though. I use apply wax on my previous cars, but have now moved to sealants.

I use Zaino, but I've heard Wolf and Nano have also got good products. Zaino (if applied correctly) can last 6 months on a garaged car and makes washing the car very easy as well. It does need a good clay before you apply it for the first time.

If you're planning to do this by yourself - reserve at least half a day to do the job correctly !

Well that's one opinion.

In my experience I have had "etched" paint in the past due to removing droppings, with opti even after a year same situation removed with no etching.

Anyway I'm happy with the product and use it on all of my cars.

The new technology used in super sealants such as Opti Coat and Final Inspection Full Metal Jacket most certainly do beat "good quality" waxes.

Pure/synthetic waxes offer limited protection that do not last anywhere near as long or perform anywhere near as well as high quality sealants.

The detailing industry has evolved a lot since the original "paint protections" that were offered years ago that were in fact just a glorified polish.

Furthermore, paint protection (a super sealant) will protect against some micro marring (scratching often induced while washing etc) to a degree but nothing will help against heavy mechanical damage such as keying unless it is in the form of a clear bra type wrap...

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2014 at 8:47 AM, Vaku said:

Well that's one opinion.

In my experience I have had "etched" paint in the past due to removing droppings, with opti even after a year same situation removed with no etching.

Anyway I'm happy with the product and use it on all of my cars.

Hi Vaku,

I am getting my new Lexus delivered on Wednesday. Lexus uses 'Opulent' paint protection and fabric protection. I need to decide whether to go for it or not pretty soon.

* What are your thoughts?

*Have you used it on your Lexus?

*How much does it cost?

*How good is it?

*Comparable to Opticoat?

Any reply will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nlf

Hi Nlf

I refuse to get any dealer 'paint protection' as its just wax that generally will last 6 months not a proper coating, having said that I know that a few actual detailers who are in talks to supply / train dealers to actually apply paint protection but I dont know if thats in place to be honest..  its probbaly much cheaper for you to get it applied by suppliers (reflect effect/bright shine mobile etc) anyway for the real thing.

So I cannot compare.

my 2011 and 2014 had opticoat applied and on my 2011 ISF I currently have body armour 9H ceramic coat 

vid here - 

2 hours ago, Vaku said:

Hi Nlf

I refuse to get any dealer 'paint protection' as its just wax that generally will last 6 months not a proper coating, having said that I know that a few actual detailers who are in talks to supply / train dealers to actually apply paint protection but I dont know if thats in place to be honest..  its probbaly much cheaper for you to get it applied by suppliers (reflect effect/bright shine mobile etc) anyway for the real thing.

So I cannot compare.

my 2011 and 2014 had opticoat applied and on my 2011 ISF I currently have body armour 9H ceramic coat 

vid here - 

Thanks heaps for the video Vaku. What are your thoughts on Opulent by MotorOne. Here is the link and the video in the link.

http://www.motorone.com/products/opulent/?state=New+South+Wales

Let me know whether it is a mere polish or a coating. They claim it has a life time warranty too. Have no clue on its cost though.

Thanks

Nlf

Hi Nlf

Im no expert in the topic so I do not want to provide you with incorrect advice re Opulent - but if you want my opinion - just go to the real detailers and get it done right - I know with reflect effect for e.g. most of the VW guys get the GTI/R/Sirocco etc sent straight from the dealer to him to apply it - says everything really.

If you are able to book it very soon (as in day of delivery or very close to delivery) I would ask them not to wash the car.. which they might not agree with as its lexus and all, but the less the car is touched the better and less work for the detailers as they have to machine polish the car before applying the sealant.

or if not do not wash your car unless using the proper method (two bucket/microfibre/lambswool) etc to avoid adding any swirls.

same with window tint, just get it done by a well known place and save (unless thrown into the deal!)

good luck ;)