Does any one know whether the computer in the LX470 (mine is a 2004 model) has got a kind of learning ability (Artificial Intelligence) of my driving pattern to optimise the control of the engine thereby, optimising the fuel consumption.

The battery in my vehicle had to be removed during a repair (took a few days) by Lexus and once I got the vehicle back my consumption figure on the LCD jumped to around 22lts/100kms (I was aeraging around 14). Within a week it has gone down to 18.4. Lexus says that that this is normal after a break in the battery supply and to run for a few more days to allow the computer to learn my driving pattern...!! Me being an electronic/electrincal engineer (ofcourse not up to date with current auto electronics) could not believe this. I would expect that what ever the sensors would pick what ever the consumption pattern at any given time and indicate on the LCD and if at all do the optimisation sort of on-line.

Can any one educate me on this. I was trying to find a workshop manual for LX470 (which alarmingly the Lexus Agent did not have for me to look..!) when I stumbled up on this member's site.

Cheers

Does any one know whether the computer in the LX470 (mine is a 2004 model) has got a kind of learning ability (Artificial Intelligence) of my driving pattern to optimise the control of the engine thereby, optimising the fuel consumption.

The battery in my vehicle had to be removed during a repair (took a few days) by Lexus and once I got the vehicle back my consumption figure on the LCD jumped to around 22lts/100kms (I was aeraging around 14). Within a week it has gone down to 18.4. Lexus says that that this is normal after a break in the battery supply and to run for a few more days to allow the computer to learn my driving pattern...!! Me being an electronic/electrincal engineer (ofcourse not up to date with current auto electronics) could not believe this. I would expect that what ever the sensors would pick what ever the consumption pattern at any given time and indicate on the LCD and if at all do the optimisation sort of on-line.

Can any one educate me on this. I was trying to find a workshop manual for LX470 (which alarmingly the Lexus Agent did not have for me to look..!) when I stumbled up on this member's site.

Cheers

14 is a low figure unless you are doing purely country driving.

My LX-470 (2003) gives's an average of 20 round town - 14 would be the lowest I have ever seen on a trip.

I would say the problem is in the measurement metrics.

If you leave the car idling after fillup you will see 99.9 after a while.

Once you start driving, it takes a while for that to come back to reality.

The only true test would be to use the old trusted method of doing the calculation when you fill er up.

• 1 year later...

When a battery is taken out the ECU resets, this is not really the car learning your driving pattern but is more it learning and adjusting to the type of fuel it has in it and what it can wring out of it.

14 is very nice, in ours with mostly highway driving it still sees 17-18 on average. (This is in a 2004 model, weighs in at 3.2tonnes with all the fluids full and gear on board so it might use a little more than a standard one)

Edit: Just realised that the original posts were from january 2009, i thought they were from this year! mod please delete if this violates any necro rules!