Put my car in for 70K service today. I was given an RX330 for the day, fully loaded with only 3500kms on the clock. I took the long way to work, and then home again, to test out the touch screen Sat Nav. It works very well, better than the version in the IS300! The sound system was awesome, the gauges were very nice too. The drive is, well, cruisy. The suspension was tighter than I expected, and there was no adjustable dampers which was about all the car was lacking. The reverse camera is groovy, and the electric tailgate which can be opened and closed at a distance with the key is just too much fun!

Got my car back this afternoon, washed and serviced. And there was a box of Chocolates and some bottled water waiting for me in my car when I got it back! And it didn't cost the earth.

Gotta say ? Lexus deserves all the accolades it receives for after sales service. Very very impressive!

Also had a chat to some of the guys there about the club and the car. One of the mechanics was very interested about the aftermarket clutch and flywheel options I have been looking at. He said that if would be easiest to machine the factory flywheel, however this cannot be done as it is a dual mass flywheel. He also said a new factory flywheel costs a whopping AU$2600!!!!

He also said that, due to the triple syncro on 1st-2nd, that I should never hurry the change from 1st to 2nd. If you want it to last, he said, always do the 1st to 2nd change as two throws, ie. throw to neutral and then throw to 2nd, which is pretty much what I do anyhow. You can just feel that it is a gearbox which doesn't like to be hurried.

HI Thunderbird2:

wouldnt it be v slow to do 2 throw action from 1st to 2nd? I might give it a try.

how about clutch? do u release clutch pedal when gear stick is in neutral?

Lexus has great aftersales service.

RX330 is in v high demand in BNE, havent see any RX330 service loan car yet.

70,000km should be a minor service, 80,000 would be a major one, and expect a huge bill for that.

Just had my 40,000km last week, (consider major),$603.69 AUD, no wheel alignment/balance upon my request, I provided engine oil meself......

but replaced many things.

SSML

would u get the same car if you didn't tell them your surname matt? :P

i think i might check out my next service with syd city lex ... artarmon service centre dont even give you chocolates.. not that i want chocolates.. tissues would be a nice touch coz i get a runny nose alot.. hell how much are tissues gonna bring down on their $70/hr mechanics rates and profit margin.

yeah thats pretty much what ive been doing with the gearbox going to neutral between 1st and second but it does get real anoying and you lose alot of power! makes the car feel really slow all the time when driving at low speeds........

I started going back to just 1st to 2nd gear changes after bout a year!

HI Thunderbird2:

wouldnt it be v slow to do 2 throw action from 1st to 2nd? I might give it a try.

how about clutch? do u release clutch pedal when gear stick is in neutral?

Lexus has great aftersales service.

RX330 is in v high demand in BNE, havent see any RX330 service loan car yet.

70,000km should be a minor service, 80,000 would be a major one, and expect a huge bill for that.

Just had my 40,000km last week, (consider major),$603.69 AUD, no wheel alignment/balance upon my request, I provided engine oil meself......

but replaced many things.

SSML

i leave the clutch pedal in but go from 1st to neutral and then 2nd, and you find the change is alot smoother!!!!! just takes twice as long.......

hehe

yea.. I got a box of lex chocs for my 80K service. but they didnt even washed the car !!! was pissed as !! Paid my $800+ as it was worth since its a major service. This was at Sutherland.

Now I gotta point out, forking out $800 was steep, but reasonble since its lexus. Least they could do was give it back decent or even take it to a car wash for $20 bucks !! or ven put the dam wash on the invoice !!!Their excuse...?? water restriction.

thats just pathetic ...

so.. I gave my work mates the chocs.. saying...

thats a $200 choc piece ...

(there was only 4 pieces) hahhaha

still taste crap. cadbury is better.

that was my service history.

Wish they gave me the RX though.. I would get lost on purpose !! hahaha :)

I must admit I like the RX. Always weird to drive after driving either the SC400 or IS200 for a couple of days, you feel like your 3 storeys up. Therefore I like to use the RX as a work car and the SC/IS as weekend cars.

SC400 beautiful ride, pure comfort

IS200 harder ride, sportsy

RX300 softer ride and rolls more in the corners, space wise-perfect.

Now I gotta point out, forking out $800 was steep, but reasonble since its lexus. Least they could do was give it back decent or even take it to a car wash for $20 bucks !! or ven put the dam wash on the invoice !!!Their excuse...?? water restriction.

I get mine serviced at Sydney City....gets washed each time. Apparently, they offer free washes (without a service)..just need to book in advance.

Haven't used the service.....prefer to wash it myself :P

On the topic of loan cars......a couple of years back, I took the IS in to have the wheels replaced. Since it wasn't officially booked in, the ONLY loan car left was a Camry Vienta!

It was a warmish day....drove to Chatwoods and on the way back to Lexus, it overheated! So the return trip from Chatwoods to the dealer was via a flatbed tow truck ;)

i think they use clay in their washes.. coz when i come back and they've cleaned it its always more shinier then a normal kinda wash.. i dont think they wax it either... so im assuming they use a clay wash

confirmation anyone?

Stephen - a return trip via aflatbed...sounds familiar, hey Joe?!?

Joe/Shane: the service was at Sydney City Lexus - the only place to go IMHO. I was quoted for the service beforehand, 340something, but it only ended up costing me 323.00

They replaced the faulty tailight, did the usual fluids, tested and tightened everything INCLUDING body and engine mounts.

Oh yeah - and Joe, got 4 peices of chocolates, and 2 boxes of mint wafer chocolates (about 10 pieces in each?!) .....they must have seen me coming...mmmmm..chocolate....!

The car feels much better after driving it to work today, most notable is a somehow smoother gearbox?! Regarding the 1st to 2nd change - clutching out and then back in while in neutral is double declutching, since the gearbox has triple syncros you don't need to do this. basically, you can't hurry the change into 2nd, you have to pause when going to 2nd. yes, makes the change much slower, however i have found that above 4000rpm you can make the change quite fast and smooth ie. you don't feel any resistance. There's a sweet spot there i think.

They also RECOMMENDED that if i have any issues with the gearbox, i should take one of their mechanics for a drive to show them the problem. Most other dealerships i have delt with, you have to practically beg them to do this. And in most cases they just give you the car back with a "there was no problem there that we could find"

I will ask them about the car wash too. The wash seems good, although not as good as the finish i get with Meguiars wash, wax and poly sealant. I was thinking about it today though - it's in their interests to wash the cars, as it means people not only say 'hey, get your car serviced there, they wash it for you' but it helps the corporate image, as you get all these nice shiny Lexus' driving around!

hmmmm.. yes pls find out if the car wash thing is true.. and if its ok if we go there on a weekly basis :-)

In Melbourne we get Lexus / Toyota wash for life. This means for the life of the warranty you can get roll in everyday and get your car washed no need to book its like a carlovers behind the dealership. You drive in stay in the car and they high pressure was it for you in about 3Mins. I go every weekend. They also recycle 90% of the water so no water restrictions excuses.