Ipod Integration

Hi,

I have a 2009 rx350 with satnav.Can connect the iphone4 via bluetooth but not the ipod function of the iphone4.

Have seen some d.i.y after market products to enable ipod connectivity and I think Lexus also have a gizmo that can do this.

My question is has anyone had one fitted that can offer some advise?

Are they hidden away or visible?

Regards

G'day John, welcome to the club.

Is your vehicle the latest (3rd generation) RX or the earlier one? If it's a second generation, there is an excellent thread at http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-second-generation/227901-vaistech-sli-installation-instructions-w-pics-for-04-07-rx.html

I installed the Vais adapter as per the instructions in that thread - it was pretty easy, though I managed to drop one of the bolts. I threaded the Ipod cable into the glove box where it is completely out of sight. The system works very well.

Hi Paul,

I have the 3rd gen with satnav but no USB connection.

Dont know if I trust myself to do the installation you have done!

Have put a call through to Lexus Service but I suspect they will charge like wounded bulls to do it.

Might just have to stick with the Aux connection and manual control.

Seems crazy however that the iPhone connects via bluetooth but iPod part of the iPhone cant work.

Regards

I got the Vaistec unit from Ebay for about $200, and installation took about half an hour. I believe you'd need the VML MultimediaLinQ (Part Number: SLVML-L2) which is a bit more expensive. Obviously the console is completely different, so you'd need the instructions for dismantling it.

Lexus of Perth quoted me $1000 for the adapter and installation. I'm by no means a mechanic, but I hate being ripped off, so I was prepared to give it a go. I also retro-fitted a Comand navigation system in my Benz after Westpoint Star told me it's not possible to retrofit them. :)

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have a 2009 rx350 with satnav.Can connect the iphone4 via bluetooth but not the ipod function of the iphone4.

Have seen some d.i.y after market products to enable ipod connectivity and I think Lexus also have a gizmo that can do this.

My question is has anyone had one fitted that can offer some advise?

Are they hidden away or visible?

Regards

I curently drive a 2010 GS300 Sports Luxury and discovered the same problem.Turns out after mths of liasing with Lexus that my iphone 3 and iphone 4 ipod app is not compatiable with the vehicle due to The Pioneer Stereo (with Mark Levison speakers )standard in the GS and RX just not being compatiable!!

• 4 months later...

Presented with the same issue, and not really wanting to spend multiple hundreds of dollars (or pull apart my dash) for the amount of time we spend in the car, I went into JB HI-FI and bought a tape deck adaptor. Something like this, though it is different: http://www.amazon.com/CASSETTE-TAPE-DECK-ADAPTER-ADAPTOR/dp/B001DNTGY4

My 2006 350 has the tape deck, and it works significantly better than ANY FM transmitter and there is no static whatsoever, for $30 was the most economical way to get my music playing through the sound system

• 1 year later...

To those with the Vais system - how do you find it ? I'm looking for an ipod solution for my 2008 RX350, something that will display song titles, artists, etc on the sat nav screen.

I asked my dealer, who pointed out the Vais system to me, but told me they have stopped installing them as they have found them to be "unreliable".

(btw, they didn't quote anywhere near $1,000 supplied & fitted).

Any input and opinions would be appreciated.

I had one in my old (2006) RX350 and found it pretty good. In the four years or so that I had it, it malfunctioned once, after the car had a flat battery and was jump-started. This was easily fixed by unplugging the control unit for a couple of minutes and plugging it back in. No other problems - I'd say it was very reliable.

It worked very well within the confines of the Lexus system. Some items were greyed out while the car was in motion, but generally you could see (and sort by) artists, playlists, album and track names etc. It was a much more successful integration than the Ipod adapter on my 2006 Mercedes, which cost a packet.

From memory (and this was some years ago) Lexus of Perth quoted $960 to supply and install an Ipod adapter (brand not specified).

Paul, if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you more questions on the Vais system -

Unlike the newer IS and RX courtesy cars I've had, my RX doesn't have an "Auxiliary" button or mode on the radio - is the ipod played using FM modulation over an FM frequency ?

Can you make song & artist selections on the sat nav touch screen, or can they only be made on the ipod itself ?

Thanks again.

On my 2006 RX the Vais system shows up as an external disk drive. Press the Disk button once to get your CD/DVD and a second time to call up the Vais. No need for an Auxillary button.

It's a direct connection into the head unit - no FM transmitters etc are involved. Just going from memory (as it's quite a while since I installed it)... The Vais system consists of three components - a cable to plug your Ipod into, a control box / main unit (not much bigger than a matchbox), and a wiring harness. Remove the main plug from the back of the head unit, plug the harness from the Vais into the head unit, then plug the main plug into the socket in the adapter. I tucked the control box down the side of the console (passenger side) where it's easily accessible if needed. I cut a small hole in the lid of the glove box and ran the Ipod cable into that. A bit of stick-on felt was used to pad the edges of the hole. It's actually quite easy once you overcome the fear of ripping half the dash apart to get the head unit out.

All controls work through the touch screen - the controls on the Ipod itself are disabled while it's connected to the car.

Have a look: http://www.vaistech.com/dev/sl3i.php

Edited by Poisson

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

You seem to be an expert in this :) I would like to install the same Vais unit in my 2007 RX350 Luxury (with Sat Nav).

I looked on eBay and this seller seems to have 2 different types: Sl2i-UP and SoundLinQ3 SL3i

Do you know which one would be best for my car?

Thanks.

Hi Paul,

You seem to be an expert in this :) I would like to install the same Vais unit in my 2007 RX350 Luxury (with Sat Nav).

I looked on eBay and this seller seems to have 2 different types: Sl2i-UP and SoundLinQ3 SL3i

Do you know which one would be best for my car?

Thanks.

Haha - I did it once and it worked, so I suppose that makes me an expert. :)

AFAIK the SL3i has superseded the SL2i-Up. Looking at the Vais site the two units seem to have the same compatibility with RX models, so I think either of them would work. The SL3i has some additional capabilities including internet radio but I don't know how well they would be implemented on a slightly older car. (I presume you'd need to use an iPhone rather than an iPod for inet radio?)

If it was my money, and seeing they both cost the same, I'd go for the newer model. I know the SL2i works, and I assume the SL3i works equally well and may have some improved functions. The Vais help line has a good reputation (there is a live chat link on their site) so it may be worth confirming with them before you commit.

http://www.vaistech.com/dev/home.php

Thanks Paul,

I think I will for the later SL3i model. I will attempt the installation myself and hopefully it will go smoothly.

I will try to update this post with photos etc. when I'm done.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I couldn't find much on the topic.

Hi new member here, my wife just bought a 2006 (3rd gen) RX350. Has no USB or aux input - currently using one of those tape --> 3.5mm adaptors.

I'm looking for a complete solution for USB / BT / Aux input which will display on the sat nav screen and utilise steering buttons. But also don't want to interfere with the in-built BT phone functionality

I'm considering a Pure Highway 300di as that is a DAB and has aux / USB input, but no steering controls or BT. But it's also well-priced at around $200 and the digital radio would be good.

Other possibility is Grom-type unit which should allow all functionality, but no digital radio.

There are some Dension units on Ebay from Germany which appear to do everything, but unsure about reliability or build quality: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-iPod-iPhone-Bluetooth-for-Lexus-Rx300-Rx330-Rx400h-Rx350-Sc430-/221850640252?hash=item33a7541f7c

It seems the Vais is now discontinued? I can't find much on the SL3i at least, and we don't have any Apple products (all Android) so this probably wouldn't suit anyway.

Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers

• 3 months later...

After much research for a USB alternative for a 2010 rx350. I have only come up with a few solutions that have been discontinued .

I am speaking with freeway car audio in Dandenong (Victoria) at the moment trying to work out a good compromise of either USB or a2dp.

I am also speaking with Lexus of Brighton about newer models with the media accessory behind the centre console and if the loom is plug and play.