Hiya!

I have a 2008 IS250X with sat nav. The Map button has the word Voice on it but when I press the speech button on the steering wheel I'm told by the polite lady that voice commands are not available on this screen. The only screen voice commands appear to work on are the telephone screen.

I've searched the forum here and found one reference to UK and US cars having voice commands for navigation, audio and aircon but not Australian cars.

Is this true?

True.

For a number of years, this has upset some Australian IS owners who have seen the sat nav voice command feature available on many other car models. But a recent car quality survey shows that, in a world where quality complaints are increasingly due to the flakiness of electronic gadgetry, Lexus came out on top. If that means omitting voice command software that is only going to work 80% of the time, so be it.

(Having said that, voice command is now available in new Australian Lexus models, such as the 2013 RX.)

Thanks for that. I was disappointed to find I (or my passenger) couldn't operate some of the sat nav functions while moving, then happy to discover there were voice commands to do it and then disappointed again when I found the voice commands don't work. It's made worse by having "Voice" written on the Map button. It's kinda in your face all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't the "voice" on the map button just force a navigation instruction? That's what it does on mine, anyway.

Thanks for that. I was disappointed to find I (or my passenger) couldn't operate some of the sat nav functions while moving, then happy to discover there were voice commands to do it and then disappointed again when I found the voice commands don't work. It's made worse by having "Voice" written on the Map button. It's kinda in your face all the time.