How Do I Know When To Change Brake Pads And Rotors?

Your rear rotors should be minimum 8.5mm thick and your front rotors more that 25mm. Your pads should have at least 1mm fat on them. I have used RDA rotors with bendix brakes and so far very happy, according to bendix there is not need to bed in these pads?

*when your brakes start to squeel

*when your pads have under 1mm of pad left i think it is (not too hard to check when the wheel is off - just turn the wheel and you should be able to see how much meat is left on the pad)

*for rotors, it is best to use those electronic caliper things to measure the thickness of the rotor, i forget what they are called

have heard good things about the bendix pads or if you want a bit more performance then get EBC redstuff pads. for rotors, you have RDA or DBA rotors

i'm sure there is a thread on here somewhere talking about brake pads/rotors etc.

I bought my rotors from out local parts shop, from memory it was just under $500 for 4 rotors and all the pads. I changed them myself but I remember someone on the forum getting quote around $1800 mark for genuine fitted.

I bought my rotors from out local parts shop, from memory it was just under $500 for 4 rotors and all the pads. I changed them myself but I remember someone on the forum getting quote around $1800 mark for genuine fitted.

Yeah i remember that as well, it was around 2000 to fit the genuine Lexus pads and rotors which is kinda ridiculous considering how dusty it is..and the genuine pads are really hard on the rotor as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up DBa front rotors for $58 each from repco! They have changed supplier and are getting rid of stock.

There might have been 2 more at repco nunawading (Vic). Was tempted to get them but it will be another 4-5 years before they need changing again.

Bendix pads were $135.

Will fit them tonight when kids are asleep.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys I had a question I was hoping someone could answer. A while ago my 2009 IS250 Prestige started to make some 'grinding' noises everytime you hit the brakes, obviously it didnt sound good so I called up Lexus . They said the brakes needed replacing and quoted $980 installed for just 2 to be replaced.. the front ones. So i gave that a skip, went to my local brakes plus and they had a full check and said the front brakes are fine but the rears need replacing, $200 all done. All was fine for a couple of days but now the grinding noises comes back here and there but isnt always there.. I'm a bit concerned as to what it is? Any ideas? I'm a bit worried. There's no squealing of any sort.. just the deep 'grinding' noise. Any help?

is the grinding noise occurring when the car is about to stop completely? The pads could be glazed if they weren't bedded properly.

Yeah just when the car is about to come to a stop. The intial braking is fine, its when it's about to come to a complete stop the sound occurs.. So you think the pads are glazed?

I am not an expert and just a home diy guy but I have done some internet research and most suggest that glazing is the probable cause. The downside none agree on a solution, some suggest regrinding the rotors and replacing with new pads others light sanding the pads and/or both. Also some pads could have a little more metal in their pads which are more prone to grinding/squeaking .