Speedometer Cluster Screen Replacement

Hi guy,

I desperately need some help, I just bought a 08 is250 and this guy who sold it to me sprayed "something" on the speedometer screen while cleaning the car. I just brought it home as I thought it would be easy to clean but it didn't rub out. I've used everything in my house to clean and it still wouldn't come off.. so I've removed the lens by taking the whole speedometer out and used a alcohol based liquid to clean the lens it. NOW I have a screen that is hard to see through..

the question is I have called car yards for a cheap parts but they are offering $100 just for the plastic lens for the speedometer. Do any of you guys have any good idea what I should do?

should I just but the secondhand lens for $100? or do I have any other options?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you have done your best to fix the problem and made it worse, by the time you spend the money and time trying to fix it and stressing,

you may as well spend the $100 and be done with it.

Scratched plastic is near impossible to make clear again....

Don't waste your time or money on products that probably wont give you the desired results.

Hi guys Thanks for the replies

now my second question goes

is it really important to have the screen on the speedometer? I've been driving around without for couple of days now and Im kinda enjoying the direct view of it.. are there going to be damaged if I don't put a screen on it??

Hi guys Thanks for the replies

now my second question goes

is it really important to have the screen on the speedometer? I've been driving around without for couple of days now and Im kinda enjoying the direct view of it.. are there going to be damaged if I don't put a screen on it??

Yes it is.The cover prevents dust and foreign matter from getting into the cluster and doing permanent damage to it.

AS manboy said spend the $100 and be done with it.

Scratched plastic is near impossible to make clear again....

I totally disagree with you but I don't know if he wants to fix his own or buy another for $100, I know what I would have done in his shoes.

You can make it look like new again .

... I just bought a 08 is250 and this guy who sold it to me sprayed "something" on the speedometer screen while cleaning the car. ... NOW I have a screen that is hard to see through..

the question is I have called car yards for a cheap parts but they are offering $100 just for the plastic lens for the speedometer. Do any of you guys have any good idea what I should do?

should I just but the secondhand lens for $100? or do I have any other options?

Try Meguiars PlastX. It does help remove scratches from plastic, and supposedly removes haze too.

If you live in Sydney, PM me and I can let you use some of mine. Otherwise, Autobarn will sell it for 25% off this week.

Hi guys thanks for the replies,

I actually took the screen away to see if it can be fix but cuz I've used a alcohol based liquid it smudged the plastic ( melted) therefore it cant be replaced..

ended up buying the screen for $100 which I think it was awfully expensive..

newayz thanks for the replies!!

wrxhoon......

Please tell me what you would have done to fix scratched plastic as I am quite interested to know .

That would depend on the extend of the scratches, very light ones would just polish off with a fine compound ( machine much easier than hand). Deep scratches may require rubbing with sandpaper, again depending on the scratches as to what grade you use , you may have to start with 320 and finish with 1200-1500. I have seen even glass polished that way.

Cluster is very small and wouldn't take long to polish.

So it really comes down to cost of products to repair and time and hassle Vs Cost of replacement.

In this case I think Ogkiko did the right thing spending the $100 even though it was a bit pricey.

I am still a bit sceptical on how an abrasive i.e 1200- 1500 grit can make plastic as clear as new, Polish maybe.

I am still a bit sceptical on how an abrasive i.e 1200- 1500 grit can make plastic as clear as new, Polish maybe.

I don't think you understand, when you finish with the 1500 you have to polish it off with compound, the compound with take oof the fine scratches the sandpaper leaves.

Much the same as you do with cars paint, cut back and then buff.

The end result is mirror like finish.