Updating the entertainment and GPS capabilities

Hi Everyone

I recently purchased a 2013 RX 270 which is a very nice car but I'm wondering if anybody has ever attempted to update the GPS and entertainment software on the car and how they went about it or recommendations for tradespeople. 

Not that it's a huge issue but having updated maps would be beneficial

• 2 months later...

I don't know your vehicle specifically but to keep air conditioning and existing speakers normally requires replacing the unit  with an Android-type device ($600+ plus shipping/install), you'd have to order it from overseas, and then roll the dice on quality. Pretty risky (for electronics) given how harsh a car environment is, i.e. +70c temps in the sun. I wouldn't trust a no-label device to stay working for long.

You can replace maps with an updated DVD/SD/HDD. These are pretty costly unless you can find a copy and replace yourself.

Best value option is a quality, heavy-duty seat rail mount for an external phone or tablet ($150, another $100 to install or DIY). Don't get an air-vent mount, they will snap the vent plastics.

You could check with a tradie on AirTasker to see if they have done and recommend any.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 11:48 AM, Alysha said:

Hi Everyone

I recently purchased a 2013 RX 270 which is a very nice car but I'm wondering if anybody has ever attempted to update the GPS and entertainment software on the car and how they went about it or recommendations for tradespeople. 

You can purchase a Grom Vlite or Grom Vline 2 from a Australian distrubutor Cushie Audio in QLD for just under or just over $1000 which is plug and play and uses existing system but gives you Apple car play and Android auto at minimum or the more expensive system allows you to install apps etc. I have chosen to do this as you don't have to change original system and you get Waze or google maps, spotify etc.

https://cushieaudio.com.au/

Owners name is Skot, and according to the all 5 star reviews he goes way beyond customer care most expect.

Hope that helps

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2023 at 11:42 AM, cressida said:

You can purchase a Grom Vlite or Grom Vline 2 from a Australian distrubutor Cushie Audio in QLD for just under or just over $1000 which is plug and play and uses existing system but gives you Apple car play and Android auto at minimum or the more expensive system allows you to install apps etc. I have chosen to do this as you don't have to change original system and you get Waze or google maps, spotify etc.

https://cushieaudio.com.au/

Owners name is Skot, and according to the all 5 star reviews he goes way beyond customer care most expect.

Hope that helps

grom is buggy as hell

https://www.lexart.com.au/products/lexion-carplay-system-for-3rd-gen-rx-09-15

this is better

On 7/14/2023 at 1:48 PM, Alysha said:

Hi Everyone

https://www.lexart.com.au/products/lexion-carplay-system-for-3rd-gen-rx-09-15

very popular unit