Nitrous Oxide

Hi from Pukekohe

Its good to finally find some info on Altezzas from people in NZ, I was referred here from the U.K Lexus owners club.

I was hoping to find someone that may have installed nitrous in a RS200Z. Im wanting to know how it compares cost wise to turbo/supercharger setup and whether the performance for the cost is worth it.

The car is still standard so im trying to figure out a plan of attack.

Is it worth removing the cat converter from the standard exhaust, Im a bit worried that it will make it sound like *BLEEP*, really raspy. It happened to my GTi Pulsar when i had it and i couldnt put the thing back in fast enough. The exhaust note now is a little raspy when its cold and around 3000rpm so would it get worse?

It would be good to hook up with some fellow owners in NZ sometime for ideas.

Heya hoon-glad you made it.

I pulled the pre-cats out of my last altezza,and it did sound a bit tinny-A good rear muffler should cover it up tho...??

We have just started having regular meets(last sunday)which gives us a chance to exchange ideas,and see how each other are developing their cars.

Will make some enquiries as to whether removal of the cats will benefit performance,or if these motors are reliant on a bit if back-pressure,and a simple cat back system(such as mine)will be sufficient.

Welcome to the club-glad I could be of help to ya on the UK site.

Gav

Yeah, I think if you replace the cat with a little straight-thru hot dog it will stop that tinny sound without losing power. How about trying an exhaust shop that works on race or rally cars. They usually gather all sorts of info about non-standard systems.

Welcome to the club Hoon. i've dropped a few cards off at Pukekohe Toyota and I'm down there again one day next week.

keith :)

Cheers guys

I have just read an article in the performance car yearbook 2003 and found Boosted performance in howick has put NOS on a 3-SG engine in a ute so I might go see him on Monday.

I also want to get rid of the 180-190Km/h engine cut. Anyone know the best fix?

The car gets to 180 ish easily and wants to keep going, its a shame it cuts out so soon.

Are there any higher reading speedos for these?

The standard IS200 dash in UK reads to 150 mph(with kph as well)-tho I'm unsure if it would be compatable with the 4cyl motor,and TRD do a 300kph speedo cluster.

In regards to the engine cut-Mine didn't have one(worked ecu)but I have installed the APEX RSM which allows facility to override both the speed and rev limiters... or pre-set your own.

Think I remember selling that NOS kit to jess at Boosted; neat little ute too.

3SGE is real good base for modding, as you got access to factory turbo gear easily available (MR2 or GT4) NOS option prob easier and slightly cheaper mod. Just the refill costs to consider and turbo will give better scope for overall power potential.

Either way, you still got plenty of fun to be had!

Was new "Nitrous Works" kit i had kikn around.

Genuine NOS kits are quite comprehensive and good quality.

Dropped in price a bit recently, especially with lot of people importing direct.

Were bout $2500ish, prob closer to $1800 now, but dont quote me.

Will check with my supplier & let you know if you like.

Really want to go for 'wet' kit(NOS & fuel) Costs little more but heaps room for changing/upgrading later. 75-80hp pretty good setup for reliable street use.

Dropped in price a bit recently, especially with lot of people importing direct.

Really want to go for 'wet' kit(NOS & fuel) Costs little more but heaps room for changing/upgrading later. 75-80hp pretty good setup for reliable street use.

This isn't to do with nos

But about the custome intake system, any info on that ?

since u didnt come to the meet

Thanks for that. Would those prices be plus install/tune etc?

I was thinking along the lines of 50HP but 75-80hp sounds good, would the standard engine cope?

Also Ive heard of a digital controll that makes it a smoother shot so its not so hard on the engine is this correct?

The wet system sounds good because later i would like to go turbo and a whole engine rebuild, but for now I would like something quick and easy. I have access to a s/h apex super afc would that be of any use to me?

50-75hp kit when set up right will still leave you with a reliable vehicle.

Prices not including install, will sort couple prices for you tho.

Digital control would not be too necessary as not really a high power kit. (by some standards)

As for intake kits, will put up couple pics soon. Only prob i found is couple of parts that have to be used to make up kit are only available thru one supplier at big cost- pushing kit price to approx $495.

Was hoping to get closer to $350ish, so still trying.

ST HITEC are possibly the best people to go to for perfromance parts. I have got a bit of stuff of them as they know what they are talking about!!!

They are more low key compared to other places like advanced imports but the owner is very knowledgable of all Japenese engines and tuning. He's possibly the only person I would trust to work on my car so thats why I make the 1 and 1/2 hour trip down there to get stuff!!

A lot of other people and now going to him as the word gets around but if you look at some of the cars featured in performance car you will notice in the Thanks column, ST HITEC, as I have only just relized.

But also he doesn't get cheap stuff its the quality japenese brands and his prices are good but the stuff by nature isn't the cheapest way to go!!!

Well thats enough marketing for them!!!!!