89 Celsior Cost Of Maintenance

Hi guys,

I am thinking about getting a 1989 toyota celsior imported. My big questions are:

- are parts cheap and readily available?

- do you have to import parts or could you use domestic supplied lexus parts?

- being a highly efficient v8, I am assuming it will probably be about as ecomonical as an aussie boat anchor commodore v6 and wont cost as much as an ls1 v8 to run?

- are they cheap to service and maintain or bloody expensive still like a new luxury car?

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am thinking about getting a 1989 toyota celsior imported. My big questions are:

- are parts cheap and readily available?

- do you have to import parts or could you use domestic supplied lexus parts?

- being a highly efficient v8, I am assuming it will probably be about as ecomonical as an aussie boat anchor commodore v6 and wont cost as much as an ls1 v8 to run?

- are they cheap to service and maintain or bloody expensive still like a new luxury car?

Any thoughts?

Parts are reasonable from me since I get them directly at Jap Prices...but from Toyota NZ ouch! but you do really have to consider this mate is it a 15 year old car, with some decent tuning and if the previous owner(s) looked after it probly it will eat as much as a Aussie V6 or V8, more like inbetween to me, but unless you are getting a extremely good deal it might not be worth it.

Matt :)

• 3 months later...

yeah i am in the process of trying to get mine on the road 15 year old cars have problems i mean the motor is FIIIIINE but there are ALOT of electrics that can bugger up. the air suspension would be getting long in the tooth too and they are NOT cheap to replace (unless u go for spring and shock setup).

over all i am happy with mine BUT its going to take ALOT of work to get it blingin

and also ALOT of fibreglassing to get these rims under the guards ;)

• 10 months later...

dude, u dont buy these cars as ecconomical get abouts.. they r luxury cruisers... on the highway, it'll be great, around town, probaby not soo good, either way, u dont buy this big a car for fuel ecconomy... my old many and i just bought one each - now that the 15yr rule has changed.

as for parts, its like anything - who u know and also what u know.. if u r mechanically minded and can do work yourself, u will save heaps.. if not, u'll pay heaps.

• 2 weeks later...

My 91LS drinks an average of 14.5L/100km when I am driving normally. I can get better fuel economy if I baby the accelerator and keep the revs in each gear basically below 2000rpm.

This car is an old V8, and no mainstream V8 will ever be fuel efficient. If you are concerned about the fuel economy of the Celcior, especially with PULP @ $1.15+ per litre, then go for a more economical car.

Being 15+ yo, you should expect to have a few problems arise, like a few rattles at best. Aside from the minor stuff, you had better have some money aside for the odd expensive repair, like a power steering pump repair / timing belt etc.

I've had mine since Nov 04 and the only problem has been a few rattles in the roof lining, which has also become unglued - I'll get a motor trimmer to isolate the rattles and reglue the lining.

The Celcior will cost you heaps of money if you get it serviced thru Lexus. You will either need to do some repairs yourself or find a good mechanic that knows Lexus cars. The previous owner of my LS gave me his service records since 2000. All work was performed at Lexus and the cheapest service was $700. The most expensive was approx $4,000!!!!! On average, he was paying about $1,800 per service which is criminal.