Advise On Whether I Should Buy An Is200

Hi Guys,

I really need your advice on whether I should purchase a second hand IS200. I have just sold my MX5 because of a coming baby so I am looking for a MX5 handling car with 4 doors. I like the IS200 because if its close to 50:50 weight distribution.

Please tell me how the car handles at the limit ?

I have driven the car and so far, I do like what I am experiencing except that it may be a bit too refined for my taste.

9.5/10 magazine reviews I have read have mentioned that the IS200 is not as good of a driver's car as it is pretending to be. However, my experience with test drives is proving otherwise, it has been very very difficult for me to unstuck the car in tight corners.

Am I missing something ? Of course there is going to be some biasness here being an IS200 forum but your most unbiased feedback would be greatly appreciated.

why not a RS200? More power and lighter aswell :--)

a four door with the handling of a MX5.. y not a 4-door integra typeR?

i havn't driven a MX5 before, but i've driven the 4-door R, handles really well, even with the stock suspension..

yea no way a stock IS or RS can have the handling of a MX5, but like Matt has just said, throw in some sports shocks and you're close to there haha

Go for it man, i'm sure your baby will like it too :-- D

Jason

Go IS300 or altezza rs200, I was cruising with Matt in an IS200 auto today, All I can say about it is that its got good looks and its good for granny.

It needs suspension, 6spd gearbox and major engine work to be a drivers car in my opinion. :ph34r:

I hope i dont offend anybody :unsure:

u say u planning to have a baby ? u definately dont wanna go with sport suspension then. ur child is bound to have a headache man. the kid dont deserves that. u see the sad thing is that sometimes u can not have your cake and eat it. u gotta decide what u want man. its either u want the handling or u want a family car. the is300 is ur family choice, RS200, with uprated suspension and lightened wight sure makes a good ride man trust me. handles like a beauty (when u buy the right suspension though )

remember ur child in whatever u do man, the kid comes first. or buy another car for ur wife to drive around in

u say u planning to have a baby ? u definately dont wanna go with sport suspension then. ur child is bound to have a headache man. the kid dont deserves that. u see the sad thing is that sometimes u can not have your cake and eat it. u gotta decide what u want man. its either u want the handling or u want a family car. the is300 is ur family choice, RS200, with uprated suspension and lightened wight sure makes a good ride man trust me. handles like a beauty (when u buy the right suspension though )

remember ur child in whatever u do man, the kid comes first. or buy another car for ur wife to drive around in

I don't think we have a RS200 here is Australia. I guess the question I am asking is how does the IS200 handle in comparison to its competitors like the Honda Euro, Mazda6 and Subaru Impreza base models. All of the mentioned cars are faster than a 6 speed IS200 with the exception of the Impreza base model.

It should have an advantage because of its close to ideal weight distribution.

Well the others cars u listed are FWD wheras the IS is RWD and the Subaru is AWD of course

As for suspension, if you get some Tein coilovers with the EDFC control unit you can make them as hard or soft as you like. So you can have your cake and eat it too!

lolz...Subaru...try going to the gas station every 2nd day and service 4 - 5 times more than a Lexus, like RSTEZZA (James) said. All his money he spent oh his previous WRX he could of put it on all these beautiful mods...:D

Matt :)

Yesterday, I went for probable my 8th test drive of the IS200. And I've got to say that though no matter how positive you want to be, its a slow car. Slower than quite a lot of Camrys i would say. So it doesn't really matter how it handles because there really isn't enough power to take it out of the corner.

I am not really a rev head either as I will be satisfied with a car that can do 10 seconds 0 to 100. however the IS feels like its more like 11.3 from 0 to 100. Its a weird car...almost confused of what it wants to be.

I drove a manual IS by the way. These comments are not meant to insult. Its my frank opinion on my experience.

Its such a pity because it looks like the car did have some potential, however the weight kills it, the weird gear box ratio also kills it.....

fair comment thats why most of us here have the RS200 altezza model :o , however I guess it does come down to your persoanl preferences and tastes!

The IS200 is very good for what it was designed for, which unfortunately wasnt power or aggressive driving but its general ride and driving performance is a lot better than other comparitive cars!

Perhaps your trying to compare it to sportier cars in this price range and a sports car the IS200 isnt! (although as others have said if you want to spend a bit of cash on mods, it can become sportier

The Australian members on this club have some very nice examples of Lexus IS200's so maybe they have more to say!

anyways good luck on your decision what ever you choose...........

fair comment thats why most of us here have the RS200 altezza model :o , however I guess it does come down to your persoanl preferences and tastes!

The IS200 is very good for what it was designed for, which unfortunately wasnt power or aggressive driving but its general ride and driving performance is a lot better than other comparitive cars!

Perhaps your trying to compare it to sportier cars in this price range and a sports car the IS200 isnt! (although as others have said if you want to spend a bit of cash on mods, it can become sportier

The Australian members on this club have some very nice examples of Lexus IS200's so maybe they have more to say!

anyways good luck on your decision what ever you choose...........

I second that hayden!

Matt :)

For grunt, you need to talk to Gav or Altezza-girl, both with 156KW TRD IS200s.

or the guys in the UK side of the club with their supercharged ones.

You can get grunt, but it doesn't come standard.

They sold the Altezza as the young dudes sports car and the IS200 for an older more staid market. You could try importing a 3SGE engine from here and it should fit in easily! There are three or four SXE/GXE 10s at the wreckers in Hamilton.

keith