Owning A 4-cyl Altezza

From the Japanese sites, and driving my own, several common characteristics emerge. ;)

The clutch is sharp or shuddery until it warms up, maybe 10minutes of driving, then smooth to use. This would call for a flywheel replacement under warranty in Japan when new, but a lot did not get done.

The exhaust, raspy at any time, reverberates in the body at 3000rpm when slightly decelerating. If you complained about it in Japan they would replace the system under warranty, so I assume some do ands some don't.

In the manual gearshift the gearlever boot squeaks in gears on the righthand side of the change pattern. This can be fixed by using vaseline on the boot fabric, as described in the UK forums.

The CD changer refuses to let you have the last CD back, or errors on it. This was on the '98 & '99 Altezzas, until they changed the player. Reloading and stripping again eventually fixes it. (or see Gav for a new unit!)

The brakes clunk when being used under turning for the first time each day. This is from the pads/calipers being set back from the discs and is not a problem.

The early '98 models had air-mass sensors that failed, and hopefully they have been fixed before any get here!

Notwithstanding these niggles, the 3SGE is a real driver's car!

:D

Best I contrive a 6cyl version of the "Owning a 4-cyl Altezza" so everyone can see the differing ways in which these cars drive.....

(sigh) where to begin?

Can't have Keith having ALL the fun in the wet now,can we? Maybe I should put my foot down a little harder,but that TERRIBLE LSD ;) just holds me back!

Lol Gav! We need a gymkhana on a BIG carpark one wet day!! :lol:

I forgot to mention the PAINT.. Lexii have terribly SOFT paint, due to the diamond hard two-pack they used to use killing all the painters. This new water-based enamel is environentally friendly but very soft and flexible. Scratches soooo easily! I had a supermarket door dent taken out by Dentsplus here in Ak for $90, and you cannot see where it was. The guy inserted a long aluminium rod with a curved end into the door via the wiring hole and carefully worked the dent out. With the flexible paint there are no cracks or marks. Much better than bog and a re-spray!

Anyone think of anything else?

(Will they take the new 24" rims....) :D

• 2 weeks later...

From Hamilton "greeneyes". Although obviously its not as quick of the mark, I find the top end on the open road to be pretty quick compared to the evo, although probably just forgotten how fast it was.

I'd agree its definately nicer to drive and a better car than the evo, just needs a turbo.

You guys are from Auckland aren't you??

Are there many turbo altezza's up there in auckland, a guy i know has just finished building a yellow turbo altezza, so should be cruzing around soon, supposed to be getting number plate HELTZA or something like that (he lives in Auckland also)................

From Hamilton "greeneyes". Although obviously its not as quick of the mark, I find the top end on the open road to be pretty quick compared to the evo, although probably just forgotten how fast it was.

I'd agree its definately nicer to drive and a better car than the evo, just needs a turbo.

You guys are from Auckland aren't you??

Are there many turbo altezza's up there in auckland, a guy i know has just finished building a yellow turbo altezza, so should be cruzing around soon, supposed to be getting number plate HELTZA or something like that (he lives in Auckland also)................

4ROLLIN...Just saw your pics, who ever that did the Lexus Grille, Rear Badges and Wheel caps did a good job, I knwo you can't help with the visors, but there is one more thing....the Antenna!!! lol....

If you like to swap the Steering Wheel badge I can do that too, I will swap one for ya......

Matt :D

Are you saying its not a Lexus!!!!!!

It actually came like that from Japan, the only difference between it and a lexus is basically the engine is 4 cylinder and it has no leather. Its registered as a Lexus IS200 aswell and paper work came through that way, so its almost half and half. :D

About the steering wheel badge, it currently doesnt have one as the lexus one got stolen some where in transit to NZ, so the dealer said. Do you know where I can get another Lexus badge from. An old guy in Hamilton also has a altezza/lexus as his has full Lexus options including leather but was orderd from the factory in Japan with an altezza 4 cyclinder engine. :lol:

cheers.........

Hayden

P.S Ive tryed brefily to get a Lexus steering wheel badge but neither Hamilton Toyota or even LExus NZ could come up with anything

It actually came like that from Japan, the only difference between it and a lexus is basically the engine is 4 cylinder and it has no leather. Its registered as a Lexus IS200 aswell and paper work came through that way, so its almost half and half. :D

About the steering wheel badge, it currently doesnt have one as the lexus one got stolen some where in transit to NZ, so the dealer said. Do you know where I can get another Lexus badge from. An old guy in Hamilton also has a altezza/lexus as his has full Lexus options including leather but was orderd from the factory in Japan with an altezza 4 cyclinder engine. :lol:

cheers.........

Hayden

P.S Ive tryed brefily to get a Lexus steering wheel badge but neither Hamilton Toyota or even LExus NZ could come up with anything

Hey Man:

I can hook you up with a "L" badge if you have a "Altezza" one, do you ahve one?

Matt

cheers.........

Hayden

Hey Again:

There are a number of reason why the 4-cylinder is not a Lexus.....

-The engine is far too light for the car - lexus owners (usually old farks) expect a smooth ride on the highway

-When accerlerating, it is too noisey to be a Lexus, as I said before lexus owners dosent like it

-The engine is too sporty for a lexus, lexus in US does NOT have a not smooth lexus, that why a IS200 is not there, (i dont actually know why IS200 is a Lexus)

-Lexus is made out of a few things - Reliability - Customer Service (4 Year Warranty - Service Plan - 24 Roadside Rescue - Set of free Tyres - 24Hours Hotline etc) also quite, smooth, prestige, Basiclly the best of Toyota with Rolls Royce Service.......My dealer rocks on service, my dealer (Kelvin) is more like a friend to em than a salesman.....they are the bomb......

Matt

PS: Altezza is already a good car, be proud of what it is..why make it into a lexus???

Sweet as, I can see what your saying and dont argue the fact about lexus vs altezza.

If you read what I said, I said that I bought the car like it is, meaning that it came from japan badged and registered as a lexus. As far as I know you cant import IS300's as they only were offered to NZ as a new vehicle to Lexus, could be wrong........but honestly i've never seen a IS300 but others have told me theres some around.

If I had the extra 10,000 I would have bought an EVO 7 but pretty much did a straight swap for the evo 4 at the time as the car I have now was the best IS200 I could find at the time..

cheers Hayden

Sweet as, I can see what your saying and dont argue the fact about lexus vs altezza.

If you read what I said, I said that I bought the car like it is, meaning that it came from japan badged and registered as a lexus. As far as I know you cant import IS300's as they only were offered to NZ as a new vehicle to Lexus, could be wrong........but honestly i've never seen a IS300 but others have told me theres some around.

If I had the extra 10,000 I would have bought an EVO 7 but pretty much did a straight swap for the evo 4 at the time as the car I have now was the best IS200 I could find at the time..

cheers Hayden

Hey Hayden:

Altezza's are great cars, but its actually very different to a IS300... Altezza is a sweet car if you want a WRX but with no turbo, savings on insaurance etc....it is a good looking car and is a alternative to cars like WRX (not Sti) and others with around the same price and power, it is more focus on the Young market at people that like a sporty car, or boy racers...on the hand, a IS200 is fighter towards the BMW 318i which is a beter powered, euipped car..etc (HID headlight, Basiclly really high spec for a 2 litre) and IS300 is a 330i BMW, but a bit lower euipped...but over $20,000 cheaper, and they still dont get standard HID's...i don't see why Altezzas what to be Lexus in (NZ) and Lexus trying to be Altezza in (US)??? lol, no hayden I m not saying you are cheap and trying to be a lexus, i know u wouldnt of done that in NZ, is those guys inJapan that does it, the only people that change the badge in NZ are theose tards in Collins Autos......

Matt :D

sweet as. It pulls the ladies though so im pretty happy , although I dont have a mrs at the moment :( :( :( :(

Yes It does catches alot of ladies eyes.....:D i dont have a misses as well, maybe its jsut me.......

matt

Not many mods at the moment, just really a pod air filter, 35mm lowering springs and stereo system. Not sure whether I want to spend much more money on cars as lost $15000 on the evo so need to start lookin at buying a house and saving up for my OE but some chrome mags would be nice.

If I had bought an altezza first I would have spend probably over 10,000 on mods but that situation did not happen, but its the kind of car that you can be pretty happy with without to many mods anyway.

cheers

Hayden

Not many mods at the moment, just really a pod air filter, 35mm lowering springs and stereo system. Not sure whether I want to spend much more money on cars as lost $15000 on the evo so need to start lookin at buying a house and saving up for my OE but some chrome mags would be nice.

If I had bought an altezza first I would have spend probably over 10,000 on mods but that situation did not happen, but its the kind of car that you can be pretty happy with without to many mods anyway.

cheers

Hayden

Hayden:

Yeah you dont really need much mods witht these things, unlike a civic!!! :blink: what springs do you have at the moment Hayden? I know that kings is 30mm, so you must have somethign else......

Matt