Tein Coilovers? 20" Wheels?

Hi guys,

Looking at purchasing some coilovers for my new ride on monday - I am looking The Tein Super Street Kit. Was considering airbag suspension - but at this stage will settle for coilovers.

Anyone had any experience with Tein coilovers??

Is installing coilovers as straight forward as changing springs (Have done a few of my own cars in the past) just wondering if the Altezza has any hidden surprises??

Once the suspension is sorted I am looking at upgrading the wheels - quite keen on 20" Albas - anyone on the forum running big rims on theres? hows the clearances?? I'll either settle for a chrome 20" wheel or go for 18" Enkei Tarmacs to keep with the cars white paint.....

Any advice/experience appreciated...

My car is a 99 RS200 6 speed - anyway to tell if its a Z edition?

Chassis no is: SXe10-00146282

Cheers

Jake

:)

PS Altezzas rock - by far the best car I have ever owned (theres been a few!!)

Hey mate. I have put Teins in my 180SX and they are awesome. Help with Drifting *BLEEP*loads.

You may have problems with clearance though. Coilovers are usually closer to the rim for some reason.

They are *BLEEP* easy to install. Just a replacement shock. Prob less than 8 bolts. I am changing the coilovers in 180 2moro. Takes me less than 2 hours to have the job done in no Rush.

You will have problems with gaurd clearance aswell. Becarefull the wheels dont rub on the shocks.

its not as easy as it sounds. The 180sx has a machpherson strut design where as the Altezza has a dual a-arm.

The springs and shocks will be hard to manuver through the a-arms with all of them connected. The brake lines will also get in your way.

To make your life easier you might want to disconnect the top or the bottom a-arm from the hub to give you some room.

For installation hints, u can go to www.is300.net

check under suspension. There is a thread about step by step instructions of changing suspension.

I got my springs installed by technician. paid AUD$185 , not inc alignment.

Best way to tell if it's a Z-edition is to check the equipment list here for what you've got: http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars/toyot.../equipRS200.htm

Best indicators for an RS200 6 speed manual to be a Z-edition are:

- traction control

- rear tints

- aluminium pedals and scuff plates

The RS200 6spd Zs and Ls have all of these afaik, and none were available as options on the normal edition.

Stay with 18-19's with a moderate drop on your car... usually with anything 18" + you are going to have alot of problems getting your wheels and guards coliding with each other. the Altezza arhces are really designed for 19 x 8.5 max with no drop on the US Spec IS300 which is already has a higher suspension setting compare to the Jap Spec Altezza's. If you are going to drop your car even with coil overs and putting 20" wheels you are going to see yourseld to become another Cameron Turner which have no luck going through most of the speedbumps in Auckland.

Matt :)

i agree.. i have 19s w/ h&r springs and i would NOT want to go any lower.. i did have to get the corners lipped (manadatory for 19"s) and the guys did have to pop out the plastic studs underneath to stop them rubbing on the wheels.. after that, it was a perfect fit.

anyone have 19"s and coil overs? would be interested to see what post-install work would need to be done.. if any.

the 19s are 8 wide.. and at the time i put on the 19's (3 years ago), i remember that the guys mentioned that they would have to possibly shave off several milimenters if i went any wider, so as not to make the wheel pertrude out from the body (no flares). probably why the guy in this months hot4s needed wald flares to add in 9 wide at the rear.

I tossed up between 18's and 19's and choose 18's based on lesser guard issues and the price of 19" tyre replacement.

19"s are pretty cool though but you may need to cut or remove plastic from the front guards. mine rubb only when reversing in the front for some reason!

BTW. The 180SX does not have a Mcferson Strut type shock. Nothing like it at all! Trust me. I have owned a GTfour with Mcfersons. Biggest bitch in the whole wide world to get them out. 180 has 5 normal nuts and bolts and is dead straight.

I tossed up between 18's and 19's and choose 18's based on lesser guard issues and the price of 19" tyre replacement.

19"s are pretty cool though but you may need to cut or remove plastic from the front guards. mine rubb only when reversing in the front for some reason!

yes mine do to 4rollin.. when it's in full lock.. the guys who did the lipping suggested that you can heat up the plastic and push the mould that sticks inward towards the wheel so it then is moulded outward.. but i passed that up as it doesnt bother me.. i dont full lock reverse hardly at all

yes mine do to 4rollin.. when it's in full lock.. the guys who did the lipping suggested that you can heat up the plastic and push the mould that sticks inward towards the wheel so it then is moulded outward.. but i passed that up as it doesnt bother me.. i dont full lock reverse hardly at all

yeah it happens often to me, but im not to bothered with it really either, theres worse things that can happen in life!