Today driving back from a holiday in IS250 SL with auto wipers on, and cruise control at 110km/hr when it started raining heavily

the car would beep, and say Cruise control unable to be active - or something to that effect.

It occured 2 times, and on the second time I think it coincided with the wipers going really fast.

Is that some safety thing the car turns off cruise control as it deams if the windscreen wipers are going flat out you

should not be going that speed?

I've never seen it happen before, and was curious if it is supposed to occur, or there is a possible issue.

It was solved by just re-enabling cruise control and it worked again for hrs until the rain got quite heavy again.

Regards

I would be guessing that the rain is intereferring with the sonar/radar on the cruise control. The sonar/radar waves would be bouncing/distorting off the rain, resulting in the cruise control getting 'mixed messages' and therefore shutting down for safety reasons, particularly at 110km/h.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is a safety feature because using cruise control on wet roads can cause losing control of the vehicle due to 'aqua-planing'. some lady in Sydney done that and totaled the car. because travelling at constant speed on wet roads, the water on the road can form a layer of water between the tyre & the road surface.

I think it is a safety feature because using cruise control on wet roads can cause losing control of the vehicle due to 'aqua-planing'. some lady in Sydney done that and totaled the car. because travelling at constant speed on wet roads, the water on the road can form a layer of water between the tyre & the road surface.

Did that story go around as a hoax email a while ago? For starters, there is no danger in using the cruise control in the wet, since you have traction and stability control, that cut out the cruise control if there is a slightest problem.