Hey all,

Spent the last 2 days forum hopping and researching and i cant say i have found a definite answer for my problem.

I recently purchased a 06 prestige is250, they tyres where worn out so i thought i would go to 18" wheels with a new set of tyres. Unfortunately i think the tyre store has screwed me over and put the wrong sizes on. From what i have been able to figure out, the 16" are all the same size but when you go upto 18" the wheels need to be staggered? (smaller front larger rear). Also the offsets need to be look at too.

Looking on the Lexus.com.au website

Prestige Auto

- Tyre width (mm) 205

- Tyre profile 55

- Tyre rating W

Tyres - rear STD

- Tyre width (mm) 205

- Tyre profile 55

- Tyre rating W

Sports Luxury Auto

- Tyre width (mm) 225

- Tyre profile 45

- Tyre rating W

Tyres - rear STD

- Tyre width (mm) 245

- Tyre profile 45

- Tyre rating W

The rims i have on now are all 18" (unsure of what offset but i know that they come in a +45 and +35 offset)

and all four tyres are 235/40/18.

Looking at the front tyres there is very little gap and i am sure i have heard them scrape under brakes while turning.

Does anyone know if i need to go back and get the tyres changed over to a smaller front wheel setup?

Hope i have been clear, thanks in advance.

If you don't mind, can u post pics of your wheels, i'm keen to see how they fill the gaps as you said very little gap left.

As for 235/40, if u feel the rubbing is abit much, might go back and get 225s.

Hi Duman,

Welcome!

As LDC mentioned, post pics. The most important thing to consider here is your off-sets. Never mind about the tyre width for now. 235's with the correct offset are fine. (8.5)

Guys have gone up to 10.5" @ the rears with no probs. Again, you need to have the correct off set to accommodate the desired tyre depth. There should even be the slightest hint of scrubbing with 18's and especially with 235's.

You are correct though, a staggered set-up is prefered so the you get the flush line.

Anyway, so we can best help, post pics so we can see your current setup and how flush the wheels are to the guard! Are the rims full faced or dished??

as requested guys i have attached some pics, but im not sure what pics you are after? So here are some random ones. The wheels dont have their caps on them yet...they had the wrong sizes so i have to pick them up later this week.

post-3458-1248650193_thumb.jpg

post-3458-1248650223_thumb.jpg

post-3458-1248650238_thumb.jpg

Hi Duman,

Yeh the pics do help some what!

I do need to ask though, what do you mean by smaller?? Are you talking about the rim dia or width? Looking at the pics, I would say that your wheel guy has actually done quite well with the fitment. If the off-sets were wrong, the wheels would either stick out too far or not enough in relation to the guards. Yours look quite good. I would say that he put the +35 at the rear due to the flush line. (again, the common mistake is made with the rears and you will see them in too far hence some guys will opt for the spacers. (Hence the staggered fitment)

Are you familiar with what is meant by off-sets, staggered fitments etc?

You mention something about the fronts having too little gap. Are you talking about the gap between the plastic inner guard and the rubber at half to full lock?

If you are, with the 18's, you will have about a fingers space between the two (at its closest) as the ride dia would of increased a little from the 16's. Generally the guys are only doing the heat gun mod to the inner guard with 19's. Again, 18's should be sweet!

Again, im not quite sure what you mean by smaller size so please let me know so that I can get some idea of where you think this scrub is coming from! ;)

Having seen the front shot, i would think he meant the wheels cannot go in much further. Given the wheel's offsets are +45 or +35, i would think he's got the +45 (the smaller the offset number the less outwards the wheel is based). If it is indeed +45 and he's got 40 series tyres on and it's rubbing, might look to get 35 series profile.

Project IS, how sure are u with 19s (and assumming 225/35 tyres) you'd need to roll the fenders?

I do need to ask though, what do you mean by smaller?? Are you talking about the rim dia or width?

Sorry about the lack of clarity in description guys, Was on my way yto work this morning so a bit of a rush. I meant the width, as in the lexus website lists the fronts as 225 and the rear as 255, where as i have 235 for front so i wasn't sure if having larger than the listed 225 would cause problems.

You mention something about the fronts having too little gap. Are you talking about the gap between the plastic inner guard and the rubber at half to full lock?

If you are, with the 18's, you will have about a fingers space between the two (at its closest)

Spot on! When i full lock there is exactly a fingers worth of gap in the inner plastic guard and i wasn't sure if that would cause problems when braking and turning? In regards to understanding offsets i kind of do :) I know it has to do with the amount that the tyre sits inside or outside of the wheel bay and that its important...but that's about it, im more of a computer guy not a car guy..i just know i love the is250 :)

If it is indeed +45 and he's got 40 series tyres on and it's rubbing, might look to get 35 series profile.

when i look at the site for the wheels it says the wheels i got come in +35 and +45 offsets, looking at what you guys have written in regards to the pictures sounds like he has used the right offset, its just i have read things like +45 and +50 on US sites so i wasnt sure if there were goign to be issues with my set.

I rang Lexus today and asked if having 235 all round was going to be an issue wih warranty and in general and he said allthough the 18's from lexus come as a staggered setup, having 235 all round shouldnt cause any problems. When i pick up my caps later this week ill post some full shot pics.

Thanks for all your help so far guys!!

Having seen the front shot, i would think he meant the wheels cannot go in much further. Given the wheel's offsets are +45 or +35, i would think he's got the +45 (the smaller the offset number the less outwards the wheel is based). If it is indeed +45 and he's got 40 series tyres on and it's rubbing, might look to get 35 series profile.

Project IS, how sure are u with 19s (and assumming 225/35 tyres) you'd need to roll the fenders?

Hi LDC,

I didn't actually say that you had to "roll the fenders" for 19's. :D What I did say is that most if not all the guys that I have spoken to have done the re-shaping exercise where you utilise a heat gun and deform the inner "plastic" panels inside the front guard. This is to prevent the scrub that i mentioned where you generally only have the finger space clearance. I had 235's (18's) on my fronts Duman and absolutely no scrub. There was no need to mod the inside panel. ( and mine didn't sit as well as yours)!

Guys have successfully gone to 20's with 10.5" rubber on the rears. I personally wouldn't but it is quite possible if you select the right fitments.

Anyway, off topic just a tad, let us know when you hear the scrub again. Looking at the way your fronts lines up, and knowing that you have 18's with 235's, you should absolutely have no issue. Check the point where we said that you only have a finger clearance. That is the closest point and you should notice marking.

As for what LDC mentioned about rolling the guards, I doubt very much that it would touch there as you are still riding on stock suspension and I know you would agree that there is no chance of you getting that much traverse in your shock! Unless you use your IS250 for 4x4ing! Ha!

Later!

LDC, let me know when you decide to buy wheels !! I will help you as much as I can! Especially if you are going to buy online and want confirm fitments!!! ;)

LDC,

Mate, you can go with any spring you like! How good the Kings are, I don't know!!! Hopefully you will be the first riding on them and you can post your findings in my "suspension" thread I started way back when! (which I might add has died)!! Come on guys, post your setups!!

Anyway, back on topic, LDC, I could not personally recommend the Kings as I don't know much about them. ie, spring rate or drop for the IS. As for your question, you aren't going to have a problem in that way unless you dropping it on the deck! I haven't read of anyone being that aggressive on springs alone. (You ain't gonna chop are you)!!! Coilovers and bagging, yes!! :D

Hope I kinda answered your question in a round about kinda way!!!

Hey all,

Spent the last 2 days forum hopping and researching and i cant say i have found a definite answer for my problem.

I recently purchased a 06 prestige is250, they tyres where worn out so i thought i would go to 18" wheels with a new set of tyres. Unfortunately i think the tyre store has screwed me over and put the wrong sizes on. From what i have been able to figure out, the 16" are all the same size but when you go upto 18" the wheels need to be staggered? (smaller front larger rear). Also the offsets need to be look at too.

Looking on the Lexus.com.au website

Prestige Auto

- Tyre width (mm) 205

- Tyre profile 55

- Tyre rating W

Tyres - rear STD

- Tyre width (mm) 205

- Tyre profile 55

- Tyre rating W

Sports Luxury Auto

- Tyre width (mm) 225

- Tyre profile 45

- Tyre rating W

Tyres - rear STD

- Tyre width (mm) 245

- Tyre profile 45

- Tyre rating W

The rims i have on now are all 18" (unsure of what offset but i know that they come in a +45 and +35 offset)

and all four tyres are 235/40/18.

Looking at the front tyres there is very little gap and i am sure i have heard them scrape under brakes while turning.

Does anyone know if i need to go back and get the tyres changed over to a smaller front wheel setup?

Hope i have been clear, thanks in advance.

LDC,

Mate, you can go with any spring you like! How good the Kings are, I don't know!!! Hopefully you will be the first riding on them and you can post your findings in my "suspension" thread I started way back when! (which I might add has died)!! Come on guys, post your setups!!

Anyway, back on topic, LDC, I could not personally recommend the Kings as I don't know much about them. ie, spring rate or drop for the IS. As for your question, you aren't going to have a problem in that way unless you dropping it on the deck! I haven't read of anyone being that aggressive on springs alone. (You ain't gonna chop are you)!!! Coilovers and bagging, yes!! :D

Hope I kinda answered your question in a round about kinda way!!!

I have is 250X which comes standard with 18 inch rims. Tyre sizes are front 225/40/18 and rear 255/40/18.

Hope this helps

I have a set of 235/40/18's on both front and back with a 42 offset 18 x 8.

I get very slight scraping under braking and full lock (like when you are driving around an underground carpark and going up or down levels. It is pretty much the only time it happens and because it is so slight I can't see where it is scraping nor can I see extra tire wear anywhere.

I get very slight scraping under braking and full lock (like when you are driving around an underground carpark and going up or down levels. It is pretty much the only time it happens and because it is so slight I can't see where it is scraping nor can I see extra tire wear anywhere.

Thnaks Kinjuru, sounds like the same scenario as me, i hear the scraping but cant see any scraping marks anywhere either. After spreaking with the manufacturer of the wheels i have found out that infact the wheels are a staggered setup but the tyre place has put the same wheels on all round... Guess next set of tyres i will change it to a staggered setup.

They still havent received the caps, now they are saying next week so ill post photos when they finally arrive..

Thnaks Kinjuru, sounds like the same scenario as me, i hear the scraping but cant see any scraping marks anywhere either. After spreaking with the manufacturer of the wheels i have found out that infact the wheels are a staggered setup but the tyre place has put the same wheels on all round... Guess next set of tyres i will change it to a staggered setup.

They still havent received the caps, now they are saying next week so ill post photos when they finally arrive..

Yeah same - I want to go staggered next time I need new tires (which will be soon) atlhough:

1) Price of tires for staggered set ups might be more expensive (especially the rears)

2) I think the rears are 18 x 8.5 (whereas I have 18 x 8) so I don't think I can get 255's back there.

• 5 months later...
as requested guys i have attached some pics, but im not sure what pics you are after? So here are some random ones. The wheels dont have their caps on them yet...they had the wrong sizes so i have to pick them up later this week.

Hi,

Welcome aboard!

I did the exact same thing as you. Went from 16 to 18! Looks like the guys done a good job with fitment, if you'd remember how indented the stock 16's were? They were horrible to look at!

I ran 235/40/18 on 18x8 45 Offset all round for about 12 months without a drama. Looks like your setup is the same! I wasn't quite satisfied with the fitment as the wheels were still slightly indented so when i got my new wheels i ended up with

18x8 wheels +45 Fronts & 35+ Rears. Both front and rear have 10mm spacers and now my wheels line up with the guard perfectly. Although i did got for a staggered setup this time around with 225/40/18 Front & 245/40/18 Rears.

Hope this helps!

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up this old thread.

I'm thinking of getting spacers for my wheels. My indented rims never really bothered me until I lowered my car and compared it with all your perfectly flushed rims.

Cevu, are you still using spacers on yours? Was reading the other threads about how it affects insurance, safety, etc.

Seeking advice on what my options are, besides getting new rims. Is everyone else still against the use of spacers?