Mod My Soarer

where do i start with modifying my 92 soarer tt. Recently been thinking bout doing a large front mount cooler 600*300*3" or 750*450*3" which would be better? would the larger one give me problems with radiator cooling? would i gain more from the larger one or the smaller one? With my intake im thinking bout obviosly removing my stock cooler so that leaves me with the cooler chamber empty so i want to make a hole from the engine bay down to where the stock cooler is and make a pipe with pod on the end in that chamber, good idea? bad idea? To increase air to the cooler im going to fit a vertex bodykit which is basicaly the same as the 97 soarer front bumper slightly diferent. Also i want to get my soarer to make that woofing noise when i let go of the accelerator, not the bov noise but the turbo spining backward noise, as loud as possible, was suggested to remove and block off the bov but that may cause the car to still want to move after i release the accelerator?

Well, because of the ceramic turbos there isnt much point upgrading the IC (usually you need to in order to raise boost: prevent detonation) unless you upgrade the turbos too. I think the standard boost level is 0.6bar and you can only go to about 1.0 bar if you want your turbos to last: at that boost level the stock cooler is fine. In terms of the airfilter: did i read it right that after removing the stock IC, duct up from that empty space into a pod? It seems like a good idea but be careful of water entry. I have made the well documented BFI for my soarer which doesnt let water in (still uses standard panel filter with the front cut away from the airbox).....If using a pod, make sure to seal it off from the engine bay/hot air otherwise you may actually lose power. Im not sure what you mean by 'turbo spinning backward' noise...people spend a lot of money trying to prevent that....it kills turbos :)....I think a BOV is what you mean: best to talk to the professionals about that (bear in mind you will only hear when you take your foot off the throttle: not in gear changes [im assuming you have an auto soarer]......if you listen really carefully, you can hear the stock valve squeaking/venting back into the intake

Hi SilverJet.

Front mount ic is always a good idea as the standard one is prone to heat soak. If you do run a fmic you will find that the pipe will run the same track as the current one and will run where you are planning to put ya filter. a BFI is all good but i have never liked the idea of hacking into the filter box, Another option for an ic is to replace the current one with one from the new supras as it is a straight swap and is thicker, not as much gain from a fmic but alot better than the standard one.

And if ya want the bov sound it will tripple in loudness if you cange to a pod filter but being an auto only when the throttle is lifted.

thanks for the help guys, what i meant by the intake was actually making a 3'' hole into the area where the stock cooler is and fitting a pod filter under that barrier, spoken to the pros and they sayit can be done and a KnN filter is very good for such use, but to me that sounds a bit iffy. My next step is the exhaust and turbo work before i boost it, just doing the body kit , cooler and intake first get them out of the way but im out of funds for a while :( but thats not gonna stop me. The pros also suggested to remove the stock bov to create a louder noise, not the "psshhhh" but the " tu tu tu tu tu tu". If you dont know what i mean look up http://www.fullboost.com.au/racing/records/video.html in the Videos Online 12.05.04 section download the "4.7mb 10 second Commodore VL turbos" clip thats the sound im aming for. once again i really appreciate your help guys.

Hi there Silverjet,

When are you looking at getting your body kit and where from as i'm looking at getting one for mine as well.I to am looking at the vertex kit but also the Blits Motorsports one as well.Shipping the kit over from oz is about $400 but is cheaper than a Jap one.I wanted the C-one kit but at $3000 just for the front bar has turned me right off....

Cheers.......

Hi Swampy,

My kit will hopefully be finished by at latest late august, im looking at bout 2.5k supplied fitted painted, just supplied is bout 1.2k - 1.3k something like that, thats front bar, side skirts, rear lip. Getting it done at jetspeed in melb, they have good reputation but we'll see, hope they do awsome job. Dont know they're web page but phone number is (613)95488828 if your from overseas.