Hi Guys,

i am attempting to do an oil and oil filter change on my IS200. im no mechanic but thought this would be a simple start. already changed the air filter, so the oil couldnt that hard either. heard its a bit of a nightmare getting the oil filter off but.

anyway i bought a K & N oil filter Part number HP-1002. the guy at autobarn said it will fit, i didnt think there were any K&N oil filters for an is200..??

has anyone used one of these? are they any good? will it fit?. i will change it on saturday morning but dont want to have and issues of my filter not fitting, save me from getting underthe car and oil all over me for nothing.. lol

i was going to get a ryco filter but i heard there pretty *BLEEP*.

any thoughts on this.

also he recommended using 10W30 Oil as my car has about 140,000kmh on the clock now. i thought the higher was more thicker and suited for high km engines?

cheers,

The IS200 is always recommended to have the 10w30, you will need 4.1 litres all up,

Always used genuine lexus *cough toyota cough* filters and they seem fine, so can't pass comment on the K&N ones, but I have plugged that part number into the K&N website and that filter is not for an IS200, will work in an IS300, SC430, RX300, LX470, LS430, GS430, GS300, ES300,

According to their site the only product they make for an IS200 is an air filter, i'm not sure if the IS300s filters have the same fittings but I know that the filter in the 300 is physically bigger (100ml bigger in the amount of fluid it will retain.)

HP-1002 Application List

http://www.knfilters.com/search/applications.aspx?Prod=HP-1002

Hey Mate thanks for the reply.

nice, glad i got the right oil then. i was trying to get a lexus OEM filter *cough Toyota* but i went to the local toyota spare parts and they said they dont stock them! only lexus do, and i didnt want to drive 30mins. had a long day on the road...

how much did u pay for the stock filter??

ive been to the K&N site and i saw the same thing.. so i was confused to y this guy sold me this one.. but i think the HP-1002 is for all 2litre models :S

it should matter that its longer it, just more worried about the fitting part. apparently this is the same as the Drift oil filters as well. same size. this was also next to the Ryco Filters Z418 which is specs for an is200..

hopefully it fits. if anyone has used one of these filtes, let me know, im sure someones bought a K&N lol..

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mate thanks for the reply.

nice, glad i got the right oil then. i was trying to get a lexus OEM filter *cough Toyota* but i went to the local toyota spare parts and they said they dont stock them! only lexus do, and i didnt want to drive 30mins. had a long day on the road...

how much did u pay for the stock filter??

ive been to the K&N site and i saw the same thing.. so i was confused to y this guy sold me this one.. but i think the HP-1002 is for all 2litre models :S

it should matter that its longer it, just more worried about the fitting part. apparently this is the same as the Drift oil filters as well. same size. this was also next to the Ryco Filters Z418 which is specs for an is200..

hopefully it fits. if anyone has used one of these filtes, let me know, im sure someones bought a K&N lol..

Hi there mate,

I have used the KN filters with no probs on my IS200. Actually, I've used them 3 or 4 times since I have the car.(I am a bit of a neat freak when it comes to cars) If the guy from Autobarn said it will fit, than they will fit. Not that I would trust them with my life or something but I bought my filters from there. A nice feature on this filter is that it can be screwed and unscrewed quite easy. Whn you get around doing it you will know what I am talking about. It is a pain in the back side to change it, trust me.

Cheers.

If the 300 one is abit bigger but still fits then it shouldnt be a problem. As long as the filter has a none return valve. I know that K&N usually use none return valves in their fitlers. Hence not a problem ;)

All Toyota filters has none return valves inside them.

I used bigger filters before with none return valves on cars, didnt notice any issues. But if you use a cheap filter with no none return valve it will cause a delay for the oil pressure to biuld up when you first start the car. So you will notice the oil pressure lamp stay on for few seconds after you start the car on the dash.

My car has done 130k-km ... I still use 5-30 Castrol Edge. I know its abit light, but its good when starting the car in winter and its generally good if you rev the engine ;)