Wheel Spinning?

OK - so I have this favourite piece of road where I turn onto the motorway (North Western) by way of a nicely banked left-hander (Te Atatu on-ramp).

I come out of the left-hander at about 60kph and floor it

As the car accelerates, my orange 'loss of traction' light comes on (on the dash next to the handbrake light)

The car doesn't feel like it is losing traction - and the light will go off at about 90kph

Naturally I immediately take my foot off the gas and cruise to work at 100kph ;)

Any ideas?

you are appliying power before the car is completely straight or as you are just exiting the corner....the rear wheels are losing grip ....i dont know how you cant feel that but the car can. It closes the throttle unless you clutch or back off to prevent you from spinning the car.

You can either

a) learn to gradually apply the throttle at the corner exit

B) never turn the traction control off

Yeah, that's the whole point - it tells you when the TRC has been 'activated' by your heavy right foot. :D

Funnily, even with TRC on, if you accelerate heavily exiting a corner, it's entirely possible to get the rear end out - I've done it while pushing too hard. And the TRC's attempt to bring it under control was almost scarier than the loss of traction itself!

And the TRC's attempt to bring it under control was almost scarier than the loss of traction itself!

This is SOOOOOO true....imagine you are controling the slide and bam NO POWER....the car plants itself in the direction you are pointing and next thing you know you are going at a curb or whatever ...i hate traction control :lol:

Traction controll can be good in the wet but yess it is possible to loose it in the wet with traction on if you whip around the corner pulling lovely g'ss.

I typically turn teraction of in the dry, but there is nothing more anoying than going round your favourite bits of road driving hard and seeing the bloody orange light spoiling your fun.

Not that i'd ever do that.

Traction controll can be good in the wet but yess it is possible to loose it in the wet with traction on if you whip around the corner pulling lovely g'ss.

I typically turn teraction of in the dry, but there is nothing more anoying than going round your favourite bits of road driving hard and seeing the bloody orange light spoiling your fun.

Not that i'd ever do that.

I find it even more dangerous in the wet. I mean you are so much more likely to lose the car in the wet. You kinda want the power there to help you out. Of course throttle application means everything in cases like this.

Even with TRC off i get this beeping sound whenever the rear slips out

HiLextacy:

Ur IS300 has VSC rather than TRC(Vehicle stability control) which is a more sophisticated system than Traction control. VSC is equvilant to Mercedes' ESP, BMW's DSC

I think TRC basicly working on rear wheels(driving wheels) only, where VSC also works on the front brakes to control the whole dynamic of the car by using motion sensors.

I think IS300 only has "VSC OFF" button rather than "TRC OFF" button.

But I think car computer might still override and kicks in during extreme condition.

Beeping sound indicates VSC is working.. TRC doesnt make any sound, only flashes light

SSML