Windom 91 Dash Needles Illimination

• 8 months later...
hi can anyone offer some info how u can replace bulbs or needles for dash - is it expensive?

my speedometer needle light is out others working ok

I have a 1994 Lexus es300 and ALL the needles are now just black.

If anyone has any alternatives to repairing these? or even know of a place that can do a white dial dash kit for this model, that would be great to know

thank

mr_es300.

• 10 months later...

outta luck on that idea guys

The needles cannot be brought from toyota on their own, only the entire guage cluster at NZ$1100+gst

I have the needles off my spare dash. they'r easy enough to get off, just take the coverings off the front and gently lift them off, problem is, they'r a line of VERY tiny LED's. someone that has the electrical expertise would be able to repair them, i found a guy in NZ that can but thats NZ$130 per needle minimum

i will put up some photos in a few days

• 6 months later...

The needles cannot be brought from toyota on their own, only the entire guage cluster at NZ$1100+gst

I have the needles off my spare dash. they'r easy enough to get off, just take the coverings off the front and gently lift them off, problem is, they'r a line of VERY tiny LED's. someone that has the electrical expertise would be able to repair them, i found a guy in NZ that can but thats NZ$130 per needle minimum

can you access the needles from the front without having to remove the whole indicator cluster, and do they just pull off or are there any attached wires, I would have assumed the leds are powered via a brush type arrangement and if so is it the connection that fails or just the leds

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

My tacho and speedo are mostly dead, an occasional flash of light.

I don't have any problems doing the electrical/electronic repair, but I was wondering what the procedure is for removing the instrument cluster.

If anyone has done this and could post details, I would appreciate it. Photos would be good.

I will post details when I repair the instruments. this will include procedure, photos, and parts required as well as necesary skill level.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Getting the guage cluster out is relatively simple, just take off the surrounds, (2 screws hold the top on the underside) and undo 4 screws that hold the cluster in, gently pull out and unplug the cluster.

Its relatively simple repair to make as long as u can get ur hands on the needles.

in answer to an above question, there is a pin assembly that goes up the center of the needle where it attaches and that powers the leds.

After replacement and a little cleaning of connections etc, i have had no problems with my needles since... just blown a backlight instead that i cant be naffed pulling out the cluster to replace lol