Those who noticed my first thread will know that I am looking for a good is250 manual (not in any hurry) and therefore spending a bit of time checking Carsales.

Most so far have been too old and high mileage (and overpriced as is usual on Carsales)

There is one on there currently that is all of the above but appears to be in really nice condition (looks like it's owned by an obsessive like myself)

Only problem is that it has massive 19inch wheels and has been lowered very substantially. So - yeah - owned by a 'petrol-head' - but I'm an old one of those.

The wheels I could maybe live with (if originals not retained by owner) but if I bought something like this it would have to be restored to normal ride height, as the current height is simply impractical and looks silly.

I am wondering what the costs would be like to return it to it's original height (springs & dampers?) The cost of springs, (assuming originals were not retained) and how much labour is involved in a job like that.

Comments Anyone ?

we offer those services at lexmania

standard shocks to install around 500-600 drive in drive out including parts

wheels anywhere between 500-1000 depending on OEM sizes 17" or 18" etc

get the car

sell the suspension

sell the wheels get stock parts

shouldnt be much for change over

Edited by ilv1004s

Have you driven a manual IS ?

I wanted a manual IS until I drove one.

I had a manual Altezza RS200 Z edition in NZ with the 6-Speed manual which had a great gearbox and a nice sport shift.

The IS IMHO has a shift like a Camry rental car. After driving the manual I purchased the Auto (my first auto ever!)

I'd make sure you drive one before you buy one, just in case you have the same thoughts.

Thanks for the replies.

Lexmania services noted for future reference.

Agreed that Klms are not everything, but as a general rule, you would prefer (everything else being equal) a 50Klms car over a 100Klms vehicle.

I just feel that a car with 100,000klms has all it's best mileage behind it.

Rian - I was a bit shocked to hear that the gearshift is crap. I have never driven one - no Manuals in this neck of the woods that I know of - and I just assumed that a conventional motor/gearbox layout would produce a pretty good gearshift.

What do others think?

A lousy gearshift action is a dealbreaker for me. All my cars are Manuals and I love swapping cogs.

Thats just my opinion, don't let it deter you. Go take one for a drive now though if you can find one because looking for an auto one will open up alot of options.

Ideally if you could swap out the gearbox for the supra gearbox or add a shortshift kit with a beefed up clutch to the standard transmission it might change the whole car...........

but then again I could have just driven a worn out clapper one and they might be alright?

Rian

Thanks for the replies. Lexmania services noted for future reference. Agreed that Klms are not everything, but as a general rule, you would prefer (everything else being equal) a 50Klms car over a 100Klms vehicle. I just feel that a car with 100,000klms has all it's best mileage behind it. Rian - I was a bit shocked to hear that the gearshift is crap. I have never driven one - no Manuals in this neck of the woods that I know of - and I just assumed that a conventional motor/gearbox layout would produce a pretty good gearshift. What do others think? A lousy gearshift action is a dealbreaker for me. All my cars are Manuals and I love swapping cogs.

Thanks Rian - I appreciate any insights.

Last thing I would want is to be blindsided by something as obvious as a lousy gearshift.

Front wheel drive cars often have poor gearshifts but you tend to expect a good one in a RWD.

Anyone else have any experience of Manuals?

the IS250 manual box is a very heavy duty box

feels like a dud

also the dual mass flywheel doesnt help it either

converting it to single mass flywheel can help but wont do much

is250 is no rwd sports car

and the manual gearbox lets it down even more

Danny - "feels like a dud" - so is it slow shifting, sticky, clunky, long-throw, imprecise/vague, what? Is the clutch heavy?

The is250 was always marketed as a BMW 3 Series competitor - i.e. 'sports sedan' - so I thought it must have had a nice slick change like the Beemer.

Danny - "feels like a dud" - so is it slow shifting, sticky, clunky, long-throw, imprecise/vague, what? Is the clutch heavy? The is250 was always marketed as a BMW 3 Series competitor - i.e. 'sports sedan' - so I thought it must have had a nice slick change like the Beemer.

maybe i was abit harsh on words

the box is not impressive but not as bad to live with

if you dont drive the car in a hm.. lets say spirited manner its a good box

smooth and heavy sure shifts

but try to have fun with it just wont follow

when i drive the manual (as we have a manual 250 in the household) and shift abit quick it tends to crunch abit when trying to quick shift

the 250 drive train is a big let down compared to the chassis its mated with

Edited by ilv1004s

Thanks, I'm starting to build up a better picture of the is250.

This is the problem of living up in the sticks. No opportunity to source a vehicle to test-drive.

I had focused on it purely because it was one of the only two front engine-rear wheel drive cars left (apart from the Holdens & Fords)

The BMW 3 Series has a lousy build/reliability record and so that only left the Lexus, which I thought was a 'sports-sedan'.

A Mazda 3 is beginning to look like a better prospect and forget the rear-wheel drive thing altogether.

Thanks, I'm starting to build up a better picture of the is250.

This is the problem of living up in the sticks. No opportunity to source a vehicle to test-drive.

I had focused on it purely because it was one of the only two front engine-rear wheel drive cars left (apart from the Holdens & Fords)

The BMW 3 Series has a lousy build/reliability record and so that only left the Lexus, which I thought was a 'sports-sedan'.

A Mazda 3 is beginning to look like a better prospect and forget the rear-wheel drive thing altogether.

Have a look at the Honda Euro (05-07) models. I bought a Lexus IS250 to replace a 05 manual Euro. Wanted an auto car for the wife who was always in the wrong gear driving the Honda. All I can say is the manual Euro is a much quicker car than the IS 250. The gearbox is an absolute gem for the person who wants to "drive" the car. Being 200kg lighter does help, the Lexus is definitely slow off the mark in comparison and the auto gearbox is changing down to 5th or even 4th when the Honda would roar up hills in 6th.

that said I still think the 2010 IS250 we bought is a magnificent car.

Mekon, I agree with what you say. I have always liked the Accord Euro - particularly the earlier shape which was quite elegant. The current model looks a bit 'bloated' by comparison.

I would prefer a rear-wheel drive vehicle but our preference for a Manual makes it all to hard.

If I was prepared to consider an Automatic then a late model is250 would be an easy choice, but I reckon I have one more manual left in me before old-age and indifference pushes me into an Automatic.

I hate the look of the current is250 so will never buy one of those.