yanking off the mirror is probably the easiest way to go about this procedure, I personally did not want to try that method after reading about some members cracking their mirrors when putting it back on.

The following is the method of swapping out the puddle lamps that I found to be the easiest and safest way. However results may vary, so please don't be mad at me if you break something smile.gif.

Step 1: Position the mirror as follows to expose the bottom outside screw.

mirror_1.jpg

Step 2: Use a long phillips head screw driver as follows to the loosen screw. (Note: It might help to stand up and apply pressure to the back of the mirror housing, so you can press the screw driver firmly to prevent stripping the screw head.)

mirror_2.jpg

Step 3: Position the mirror as follows to expose the top outside screw.

mirror_3.jpg

Step 4: Use a long phillips head screwdriver as follows to the loosen screw. (Note: It might help to stand up and apply pressure to the back of the mirror housing, so you can press the screw driver firmly to prevent stripping the screw head.)

mirror_4.jpg

Step 5: Now that you have both outside screws removed, use a plastic prying tool, such as a credit card to separate the housing halves slightly as shown below.

mirror_5.jpg

Step 6: Once the housing has been separated, maneuver the puddle lamp assembly out as follows.

mirror_6.jpg

Step: 7: Twist off the puddle lamp housing and replace the bulb with a 194 style bulb of your choice.

mirror_7.jpg

Step 8: Double check to make sure the bulb lights up properly before reassembling.

mirror_8.jpg

Step 9: Step back and enjoy the finished product!

mirror_9.jpg

yanking off the mirror is probably the easiest way to go about this procedure, I personally did not want to try that method after reading about some members cracking their mirrors when putting it back on.

The following is the method of swapping out the puddle lamps that I found to be the easiest and safest way. However results may vary, so please don't be mad at me if you break something smile.gif.

Step 1: Position the mirror as follows to expose the bottom outside screw.

mirror_1.jpg

Step 2: Use a long phillips head screw driver as follows to the loosen screw. (Note: It might help to stand up and apply pressure to the back of the mirror housing, so you can press the screw driver firmly to prevent stripping the screw head.)

mirror_2.jpg

Step 3: Position the mirror as follows to expose the top outside screw.

mirror_3.jpg

Step 4: Use a long phillips head screwdriver as follows to the loosen screw. (Note: It might help to stand up and apply pressure to the back of the mirror housing, so you can press the screw driver firmly to prevent stripping the screw head.)

mirror_4.jpg

Step 5: Now that you have both outside screws removed, use a plastic prying tool, such as a credit card to separate the housing halves slightly as shown below.

mirror_5.jpg

Step 6: Once the housing has been separated, maneuver the puddle lamp assembly out as follows.

mirror_6.jpg

Step: 7: Twist off the puddle lamp housing and replace the bulb with a 194 style bulb of your choice.

mirror_7.jpg

Step 8: Double check to make sure the bulb lights up properly before reassembling.

mirror_8.jpg

Step 9: Step back and enjoy the finished product!

mirror_9.jpg

Thank you for such a great detailed reply. I think I may leave it to the pro's though...thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Hi LEX51S,

I am thinking of having a go with the method you have detailed, is the 194 bulb the standard that comes with the car? I really only want to change one side and therefore want them to be the same brightness. Where do you buy your bulbs from?

Many thanks

Thanks for this, Lex51S - very useful to know and looks quite easy to follow - with your photos.

Subby

Sorry a little off topic but don't think it's worth a new topic..

After removing those two screws, is the mirror cover able to be popped off? Or is there more holding it on?

There's a total of four screws that need to be removed so the two halves of the mirror housing will come apart.

In the illustrations in this thread, you can see that they are removing or loosening the two left hand screws. The other two screws are on the right side of the housing.

You have to remove the mirror itself to get to all four screw. Be aware that removing to mirror is "spooky" since the force needed to remove the mirror borders on mirror breaking force. I have removed four mirrors myself (to install the LED globes) and not broken a mirror yet!