Ooo ... these are definitely sneak peek shots, given that we're still 40+ hours away from the official global "reveal".

A little more conservative than first thought, though ... I would have thought the chrome grille surround would have followed down to the lower grille, a la Audi, and the upper and lower grilles uninterrupted by a body colour bumper, a la Audi, HSV and others.

Or perhaps we'll still see that in an F Sport version?

looks like a hyundai with a fatter ct200h front

im very mixed atm

the lines doesnt seem to flow too well

*so happy they got rid of that stupid 1 piece massive grille*

If DIS-LEX-SIC source which i imagine is correct ;)

Its not what i was expecting from the promo sneak peaks.

Not sure i like it anymore i was loving it.

looks like a hyundai

Lots of people have said that, although there is a subtle difference above the tail lights which, say Mark Templer of Lexus, improves aerodynamics.

Here's the official press release:

http://www2.toyota.co.jp/en/news/feature/20110819.html

But missing from the press release are some of the features that really make this an exciting car. These were mentioned in the Pebble Beach presentation:

- The first variant unveiled, the GS350, has 306 hp (228 kW) and direct and port injection, which would make it pretty much the same powerplant as the IS350. This output in the base model is higher than what you'll find in the base-model E Class and 5 Series.

- Paddle shifts and shift changes similar to the IS F

- Mark Levinson 17-speaker, 835W sound system - almost 3 times the output from each speaker

- Huge LCD allows you to use smartphone apps, search the Web, and even change your audio controls while still seeing your satnav map

- Easier to use remote touch, OR ... control the LCD using voice command

- Energy efficient airflow

- Heads Up Display

- Blind spot display

- Warning when you're falling asleep at the wheel

- Night view on LCD

- Lane assist and "active steering torque" that assists you getting back on the road

How awesome is that ???

just saw the whole video

specs list is awsome

now the GS gets the manual gearbox like the ISF standad across the range

this just means the next ISF will be so much better lol

but im starting to like the front

but the rear is still a hm.. for me

tail pipes are awsome but the rest of the rear is abit.. yeah not great

love it

but the rear just looks like a hyundai for some reason... i cant really pick it out, but something about it

but anyway, looks like its gonna be an awesome car

oh, and they dropped the V8's from the GS range?

I Finally had time to watch this video today and i must say i love it!!

Apart from the little bit perhaps "under engineered" tail.... lets face it. . . .can you see it whilst your drivng, i mean thats one of the main reasons you buy a car . . . to drive it!!!

I think this is a huge improvement on the current GS..

Its not over quirky with the technology. . . . its all awesomely perfect!! Lexus' Persuit of Perfection is really showing in this car. Yes it does have similarities to other cars on the market ie cheaper markets. But. . . . . ITS NOT!! ITS A LEXUS!!

If you were to sit in one and drive it im sure you would not be caring about how hyundai the rear end looks. And the features are astounding.

To be honest this isn't lexus' top of the line car so imagine how much better the ISF and the LS will be in years to come.

I have several questions that some or one of you may know the answer -

Does anyone know when it will be available in Australia?

Also is there going to be other variants (GS480/460/600)???

What will the base rates be

- GS350 base (prestige)

- GS350 sports

- GS350 SL

it's pretty much has all the features of the higher end models which have been filtered down

ie LS/ISF etc

On that note ... it looks like the GS350 F Sport will inherit the (original, 10-spoke) wheels from the IS F.

Does anyone know when it will be available in Australia?

Lexus Australia simply says "early 2012". I note that, when Lexus Australia gave a release date of "early 2011" for the CT200h, it was released in March.

Also is there going to be other variants (GS480/460/600)???

It has been said that there won't be a V8 version, with Lexus instead concentrating on providing an improved high-output hybrid version. The hybrid version will be released at a car show later this year. All we know so far, from the teaser photo, is that it will carry the Lexus hybrid badge. :P

What will the base rates be

- GS350 base (prestige)

- GS350 sports

- GS350 SL

I don't think even Lexus Australia knows that yet. They would have to decide what features to put into each grade, and negotaiate the list price with Japan.

Here's the Australian press release - the US press release was as informative as a dot-com company's product news flash ("it looks good and it does ... stuff"):

http://www.lexus.com.au/about/news/2011/08/19/news-lexus_reveals_new_gs

• 2 months later...

By now, most of you will be aware of not only the GS350 launch, but the launch of the GS F Sport and GS450h.

It is said that Europe will get a hybrid engine for the F Sport, whereas the US will get the 3.5L petrol engine.

Does anyone know ...:

1. Will Australia get a GS350 F Sport, a GS450h F Sport, or both?

2. I note the Lexus hospitality centre at the Melbourne Cup featured a new model GS (lucky patrons). Will this appear in Sydney any time soon?

• 2 weeks later...

New GS will feature an "air-conditioner that moisturises the driver's skin":

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lifestyle/lexus-unveil-in-car-moisturiser-using-nanoe-technology-in-its-new-model-gs/story-e6frf00i-1226195388770

Hmmm ... What do we think of that?