Hmmm. Moisturises everythin in theory. Has potential to make other things (leather) smelly.

I dont know !!

Would like to see the test results on ppl and the leather.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the new GS is awesome.

I got to drive it along with the latest E class Benz, two current model 5 series BMWs & the latest Audi A6. there was also an A7 there.

I will write up a bit more when I get a chance.

Oh gosh, will be waiting impatiently for you to write this up...

• 1 month later...

Well the new GS is awesome.

I got to drive it along with the latest E class Benz, two current model 5 series BMWs & the latest Audi A6. there was also an A7 there.

I will write up a bit more when I get a chance.

Hey yeah, what happened to the review??

I understand that Lexus has also offered journos the opportunity to test the GS alongside its competitors. That says a lot about how confident Lexus are about this new model.

Dis-lex-sic, how do you think it stacks up?

• 1 month later...

Dis-lex-sic, how do you think it stacks up?

Well when I drove it in December last year they also gave us 2 BMW 5 series, a new Benz E-class, an Audi A6 & A7.

The GS350 F-Sport was the best car there.

bbaf3352.jpg

The BMW 535d was a close second.

Surprisingly the E-class was the worst. The 520 was horrible. The BMW 520 was completly different to the 535.

The Audi A6 was nice but not as good as the GS & 535d.

e053b491.jpg

The GS450h I drove was a Sports Luxury but being a pre-production car didn't have the Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDH) system with Dynamic Rear Steering. The GS350 F-sport did and there is a big improvement.

6c6ddb2f.jpg

For those familiar with the current GS the boot size in the new one will be a big improvement. The boot in the hybrid especially.

What impressed me the most was the GS250. Maybe my expectations weren't as high as the GS350/450h but it must be geared different to an IS250 because it's performance was better than expected. Sure it's no GS-F but it's not meant to be. For the price it is awesome value.

Now the launch will be at the end of the month. I will bring one to the next meet if you guys like??? for you all to have a fiddle with.

If anyone wants to come to the launch or better have a drive once they are here...let me know.

Oh and the new tech is great and for some customers is going to take a bit of learning.

Auto high beam, blind spot monitor. The big screen/split screen in the upper models is great.

There is a lot more to run through & will be good as an indicator of what to expect in the new IS.

Now the launch will be at the end of the month. I will bring one to the next meet if you guys like??? for you all to have a fiddle with.

If anyone wants to come to the launch or better have a drive once they are here...let me know.

You have my number!! :D

Prices and feature lists are out:

SELF-HEALING PAINT a no-cost option! It's like they were listening to me! Yay ... but the PR suggests that it's "available" as "standard", meaning that not all paints are self-healing ... I wonder which ones are?

Edited by Lexus Nerd
Font size

hmm. 350 fsport.. not what i was expecting. although the 250 range sounds like great value. but i want POWER as well as class.

Pre loved IS-F??

STEPPING into a Lexus GS sedan is about to cost $20,000 less, with Lexus Australia today announcing a $77,900 (plus on-road costs) starting price for the new entry-level V6-powered GS250 to be launched nationally in the first week of April.

Lexus has also reduced the prices of its existing GS models, including a $5000 drop in the case of the GS350 Luxury ($89,900) compared with the model it replaces, the smaller-engined GS300 Luxury.

But the biggest saving is reserved for the slow-selling hybrid-powered GS450h, the price of which now starts from $99,900 for the cheapest of three versions of the new model – some $26,900 less than the price of the previous single-model offering.

It now costs only $10,000 more than a GS350, whereas the gap was previously close to $30,000 (to the GS300).

The new opening price point lines the GS250 directly against its main rivals from Germany, the Audi A6 2.0 TFSI and the BMW 520i – both of which are similarly petrol-powered and priced at $77,900 plus on-road costs.

However, while the Audi and BMW are powered by turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder engines – producing 132kW/320Nm and 135kW/270Nm respectively – the GS250 arrives with a naturally aspirated V6 that develops more power (154kW) but less torque (253Nm).

Lexus_GS_stack.jpgIt also makes do with a six-speed automatic transmission while the BMW has an eight-speeder and the Audi a continuously variable transmission (CVT) with seven simulated stepped ratios.

The new entry-level model and sharper pricing could reverse a worrying trend for the GS, sales of which have gradually declined from 737 in 2005 to just 114 units last year.

All three GS models are now available in three specification grades – Luxury, F Sport and Sport Luxury.

The GS250 will arrive with standard equipment including a blind-spot monitor, tyre-pressure monitor, parking distance sensors, a reversing camera, adaptive bi-Xenon headlights, metallic ‘self-healing’ paint, automatic wipers, digital radio, satellite-navigation, smart-card entry and Bluetooth audio streaming.

It runs on 17-inch alloy wheels and features interior appointments such as cruise control, leather accents, fog-lights, LED daytime-running lamps, dual-zone climate-control, ventilated and heated front seats, 10-way electric front seat adjustment with driver memory positions, and self-dimming and heated exterior mirrors.

Apart from being powered by a bigger 3.5-litre V6 developing 79kW more power (233kW), the GS350 comes with the same equipment as the $12,000 cheaper GS250.

Lexus Australia admits that the all-new GS450h – which will not be available until June – “addresses the outgoing model’s price and packaging shortfalls”.

F Sport variants of all three models will ride on unique 19-inch alloy wheels and get adaptive suspension with sports tuning, sports pedals, an additional Sport+ drive mode, specific interior trim, 16-way bucket seats, a body kit and slightly different grille treatment.

However, GS350 and GS450h buyers ticking the F Sport box will additionally get a rear-steering function (called Dynamic Rear Steering with Lexus Dynamic Handling System), a pre-collision safety system with active cruise control, variable-ratio steering, larger front two-piece rotor brake package and head-up display.

Top Sport Luxury specification brings the addition (over Luxury) of a 12.3-inch navigation system, a driver alert monitor, the pre-collision system, 20-way adjustable seats, head-up display, a 17-speaker Mark Levinson audio system, three-zone climate control with rear controls, automatic high-beam control, side and electric rear window sunshades, and upgraded leather and woodgrain interior treatment.

Lexus Australia CEO Tony Cramb said the all-new GS would redefine how Lexus is perceived, now and in the future.

“The all-new Lexus GS goes right to the heart of our brand values, delivering a vehicle that improves on the past and sets the benchmark for the future,” he said.

“With its bold new look, newfound athleticism, innovative features, expanded range and exceptional pricing, the all-new GS range is sure to impress.”

As well as lining up directly against the Audi A6 and BMW 5 Series, the Lexus GS also competes with the Mercedes-Benz E-class and Jaguar’s XF range.

GS 250 Luxury $77,900 F Sport $85,900 Sport Luxury $99,900

GS 350 Luxury $89,900 F Sport $99,900 Sport Luxury $109,900

GS 450h Luxury $99,900 F Sport $111,900 Sport Luxury $121,900

• 5 weeks later...

It all sounds very impressive dis-lex-sic.

do you think the 250 has enough power for the size of the car?

I tested a GS250.

The engine is not the same as my IS250.

The 2.5 has been tweaked, and has a lot more bottom end torque than both my IS250 and my GS300.

Thus, to answer your question, does it have enough power to lug some 1.7 tons - the answer is a resounding yes!

I was surprised myself.

I originally thought the 2.5 would be quite sluggish.

However, flat out, the GS250 still takes 8.6 seconds to do 0-100.

Compared with a 1996-01 ES300 which takes 8.4 seconds.

And a 2005-12 GS300 which takes 7.3 seconds.

The top end of the GS250 is certainly a bit compromised, however you won't feel that around town.

Thus, combined with an entry level take home price of $84k, I think this new GS range could sell in much greater volume...

Had a look at new GS last weekend. No test drive but spent about 10 minutes inside 350 F-Sport:

* Love the alloy finish

* More space for things next to driver compare to IS

* Massive boot again compare to IS

* Very quick menu and response of system/NAV

* Remote touch, somewhat compromised - I prefer 1st gen with side buttons. May be I need to get used to it

* Seat - magnificent, limitless adjustements

* Interior looks more special than 5 series (never been a fun of MB 100s of buttons)

* Front looks very good in person, rear is average (I prefer 5 series tail lights)

Eager to test drive it.

• 3 weeks later...