Springs - Fsports, Oem, Aftermarket, Etc

Hi Guys,

I have F-sport springs installed on my car about a month ago but my wife is the daily driver for that car and she couldn't cope with the stiffness and bumpy ride, therefore I'm thinking to reverse it back to stock springs. But I have some ideas and what you guys comments:

1. Is sport luxury model has the same springs as prestige model, i.e. spring rate, overall height etc, as I've upgraded to 18" and I think the wheel arch gap is larger than the stock 18" wheels on sport luxury model?

2. Anyone with spare sport luxury springs and thinking to get rid of?

3. Anyone interested on my set of F-sport springs? Only about a month old and of cos will be discounted for sale.

4. Or alternatively, anyone have others aftermarket springs installed on your car and can recommend to me?

5. I've been reading a lot about coilovers, but aware that it is stiffer and harsh over stock, but would setting damper on softest close to stock ride feel? Anyone in Sydney with coilovers setup and don't mind letting me come and ride in their cars to have a feel please let me know.

Please chip in your ideas as much as you can to help me settle for a conclusion. I just want to find a "fix-all" solution once and for all. I just want to find a cheapest solution for this. Big Thanks in advance.

I've got a spare set (4) of shocks and springs off a 2010 model. I'm currently looking for the fsport springs. Let me know if your interested.

Andrew,

Hey Andrew, just PM you.

fix all cheapest solution is put your stock springs back on.

You cant mod your car or suspension without sacrificing one thing or another. its the laws of physics. Some thing has to give.

lexus ride is awesome that is because they have it set to a height to achieve a nice luxury ride with some sport in mind.

if you want a sportier look get sportier springs and as you are aware this will give you a sportier ride. If you want a luxury ride get normal springs this will give you luxury height.

Come to the meets and you will see other ppls setups and be able to compare brands and ride quality.

That's not always true. But true usually in the case of springs.

Some coilovers will have variable dampener valving ratings which will make a comfortable ride (basically stock) but can be dropped to nice height with slight improvements in stability.

I've seen this in two coil overs that i know. But not for IS's Ohlins and KW. They both offer BETTER ride then stock. But offer better handling with ride height adjustability.

I believe KW has coil overs for our cars, but they are expensive.

That's not always true. But true usually in the case of springs.

Some coilovers will have variable dampener valving ratings which will make a comfortable ride (basically stock) but can be dropped to nice height with slight improvements in stability.

I've seen this in two coil overs that i know. But not for IS's Ohlins and KW. They both offer BETTER ride then stock. But offer better handling with ride height adjustability.

I believe KW has coil overs for our cars, but they are expensive.

I have 30 way damper adjustment. Yes it can be hard then stock but ppl get confused with the definition of softer.

YES it can be BUMPY and hard if you want a sporty feel.

BUT.

When you put it to soft it doesnt get rid of the bumps it makes it BOUNCY or springy. One bump or dip can have you bouncing for the next 200 -400 meters. Where as if you set it to a little bit harder you can find that balance you wish to have without springing up and down and with out an uncomfy jolting ride along the road.

How can you say better then stock. Its such an open comment. Better in which way.

Yes it can be better handling then then stock but 99% of the time if you want better handling you suffer in ride smoothness

Yes you can "softer" then stock but you will again suffer in handling.

Its really personal discretion and how people personally like the ride that will define if its better then stock to them.

From what " sun2on99 " has told me he want a soft ride and to be low. He wont get this without sacrifices and with coils you will be able to find a personal sweet spot but may never be entirely happy with the outcombe. If you dont like f sport ride you probably wont like a coilover ride. ( for comfort ofcourse)

Okay so when people talk about how much clicking their dampeners can do it doesn't really show anything. It's all about how much of an effect each of these clicks will do.

I've driven cars (is200) with bc coilovers or G4's and plenty of other taiwan/china coil overs. Those clicks really mean nothing, they don't have real effect. Now i've driven with teins, and the clicks make an effect, but they suffer from the fact their compression and rebound were single adjustment (i've never sat in N1 spec or driven, so I'm not sure about whether they are good).

But here is the good stuff, KW and OHLINS have NOTICEABLE differences when you click just once. Easily one click on KW makes 15 clicks on a bc coils. And to that, most of them will have compression and rebound adjustment which makes a real difference.

So why do i say it offers better ride then stock with these? Well it comes down to the valves. The valve technology is just that.... its technology, its real researched stuff, each car is usually tested individually sometimes on a suspension dyno.

They offer variable valving rates, dependent on the force and rate they will compress and rebound at different rates. So e.g. when a pot hole is hit, it will open valves at a larger rate, some with twin rates, will automatically open the larger valve. But when cornering, the large valve is not opened, and it bleeds into the reservoir at a flow adjusted rate. Spring rates? Well springs only play a small part of the whole package. The damper is by far more important.

Some other brands that i can recommend from personal experience (limited, cause they are not my cars): Arigosta, Bilstein, HKS, tein and probably some others i can't really remember.

But having said that for the money, i quite like the tanabe ones, but the adjustment is a gimmick. The BC golds, they are ok for the price, older models were not so good.

Please note, apart from they tanebes, these are all based on other model cars. Every car is different right?

How good is KW coilovers compare to my stock is350 sport ? and how much is the price for KW ? any idea?

I can bet they are going to be much better then your stocks. But i'm not sure if they make them for IS250/350/F. Someone might want to chime in with better knowledge.

Price? Not sure, but usually they go for somewhere in the 3k range for the V3.