Heater, No Hot Air ?

There is an issue with our 2010, RX-350, Sports Luxury Pack, heater this winter in Brisbane, not the coldest spot in the world I know but when you pay $111,000 for a vehicle you expect the Individual Climate Controls to do do what they are designed to do, right?

Anyway, the 2 drivers side outlets (near door & center dash) only blow cool air even on the highest heat setting, meanwhile the passenger side & rear outlets are blowing hot air. The difference is very noticeable just by feel with your hand.

Anyone from say, Victoria, that would use the heater a lot and can tell me if there vents are outputting the same temperature for passenger & driver?

OK, update, they called back today & want it back in on Friday to run more checks, will keep you informed!

Thanks, John

There is an issue with our 2010, RX-350, Sports Luxury Pack, heater this winter in Brisbane, not the coldest spot in the world I know but when you pay $111,000 for a vehicle you expect the Individual Climate Controls to do do what they are designed to do, right?

Anyway, the 2 drivers side outlets (near door & center dash) only blow cool air even on the highest heat setting, meanwhile the passenger side & rear outlets are blowing hot air. The difference is very noticeable just by feel with your hand.

Anyone from say, Victoria, that would use the heater a lot and can tell me if there vents are outputting the same temperature for passenger & driver?

OK, update, they called back today & want it back in on Friday to run more checks, will keep you informed!

Thanks, John

OK, everybody, listen up, especially Victorians and other cold area 350 owners, check your heater outlets now! They told me today that this is a RARE condition, sure, and then they say they need to order parts in and need car for 2 days to fix it.

So they have to replace the radiator & the heater core; this tells me that they installed maybe a Kluger radiator & heater core, which maybe does not have separate controls & outlets for heat & cooling.

This will be a Warranty fix, and I think it could be a recall issue or at least every vehicle need to be tested at next service as they did with the Nudge Bar thing. I know they sure tried to brush me off with some BS, but I stood my ground and now getting some ACTION !!!

Let me know what you find out, be awhile before mine is fixed, but will update when I know more.

That's the sort of blunder I would expect from Land Rover not lexus.

I would have thought it near impossible for heater units to be installed in the wrong vehicle...thinking along the lines of production techniques...particularly production line assembly.

But from my experience especially with the Range Rover HEVAC (heating and ventillation & A/C)which was always having issues, it sounds to me like the blend door which seperates the hot from the cold have stopped working.

The blend doors are what give you hot on one side and cold on another. there will be multiple doors and flaps most likely controlled by electric motors. It's most probably a door motor or control for that motor in terms of a control unit (ECU).

I like you would be a little dissapointed if they really have fitted the wrong heater/cooler assembly!!!

Thanks

simon

That's the sort of blunder I would expect from Land Rover not lexus.

I would have thought it near impossible for heater units to be installed in the wrong vehicle...thinking along the lines of production techniques...particularly production line assembly.

But from my experience especially with the Range Rover HEVAC (heating and ventillation & A/C)which was always having issues, it sounds to me like the blend door which seperates the hot from the cold have stopped working.

The blend doors are what give you hot on one side and cold on another. there will be multiple doors and flaps most likely controlled by electric motors. It's most probably a door motor or control for that motor in terms of a control unit (ECU).

I like you would be a little dissapointed if they really have fitted the wrong heater/cooler assembly!!!

Thanks

simon

Simon,

Thanks for the reply and interesting information. Please remember that I do NOT know the exact reason the radiator & heater cores both have to be replaced: what I suggested was just off the top of my head reasoning, for sure I was like you thinking that it should only be some small defect in the control circuit either air flow or water but what do I know about modern digital, electronic cars of today? Not much it seems, give me the old mechanical stuff and I'm much better!

If the service sheet provides an answer, a logical, understandable answer that is, not the mumbo jumbo rep speak they give you when picking up the vehicle, then I will post it here.

Stay tuned, John

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, booked in for this week, Wednesday to Friday, now they need 3 days, hopefully get some facts after they are completed :huh:

Monday update, more parts ordered, still in the shop, no ETA given...

My wife picked up the 350 Wednesday afternoon, I am overseas. Basically all the information I have is that they told her the heater core for drivers' side was blocked; now blocked with what or how would be very interesting for us mechanical types.

Also, she was told they did replace the radiator as well as a precaution so that is good too. So all you owners down in colder climates, anybody had a chance to check their heaters yet or anyone with a similar problem, please post here, regards, John

My wife picked up the 350 Wednesday afternoon, I am overseas. Basically all the information I have is that they told her the heater core for drivers' side was blocked; now blocked with what or how would be very interesting for us mechanical types.

Also, she was told they did replace the radiator as well as a precaution so that is good too. So all you owners down in colder climates, anybody had a chance to check their heaters yet or anyone with a similar problem, please post here, regards, John

The fact that Lexus had to order more parts, and keep your car longer than expected, suggests that the cause of the problem was unexpected. So I think it's unlikely that anyone else here will have a similar problem, but let's see ...

The fact that Lexus had to order more parts, and keep your car longer than expected, suggests that the cause of the problem was unexpected. So I think it's unlikely that anyone else here will have a similar problem, but let's see ...

For sure, an unexpected problem. The main thing to learn from my posting is: don't let the smooth talker in the suit at the service department butter you over with the BS they tried to give me. They actually had a list of temperatures they had taken from another RX-350 and tried to tell me that it was OK just because another car also had low readings? DOH :o

When you know you have a problem with your car, stick to your guns, get it investigated / solved / fixed or you will suffer as long as you own it!