Is250 Dash Rattle Squeaks And Rattles

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering, my IS250 warranty is running out soon and it does rattle and squeak quiet a bit over bumps and what not. Is this a thing that I can claim under warranty?

Has anyone else had it repaired before and did Lexus do a good job?

Yes, it helps to take it back to the dealer and be persistent - there are plenty of threads on the forum on this topic - results are mixed, experiences seem to vary quite a bit - some dealers appear to take such complaints more seriously than others.

Good luck!

I too had rattles in the dashboard on my 06 sport luxury.

At the 30K.service, they kept it overnight as 'the dashboard had to be removed'

The rattle happened only over rough roads.

It was 6 months later that the rattle was there again, but not as loud.

On the once a year out of town trip, when it rattles, a bang in the centre of the console fixed it.

High tech repair.

• 2 weeks later...

I just called them up and was informed that rattles caused by insulation is only covered by a 1 year warranty while clip rattles are covered by the 4 year warranty. I haven't taken it in to look at yet but is this true?

Seems like a bit of a joke that an $80k car rattles vs $15k cars.

Agree $80K vs $15K car, not a good quality advertisement.

What is the difference between "rattles caused by insulation" compared to "clip rattles"????

Did they give you any explanation?

To me, a rattle is when something is lose and vibrating.

If an item is loose, then it can vibrate/rattle as you drive along.

WRT the insulation, the materials that I have seen are of a soft composition that should not make any noise if it vibrates if its loose.

Make sure that its not the loose parking money in the glove box. :)

Rattles are hard to pinpoint and can take hours looking for them, then, just a couple of minutes to fix.

Get it done under warranty as they may have a list of the same report by other owners..

Good luck.

• 7 months later...

I know there is a TSIB in the USA for the 2006-2007 IS250 and IS350 for the dash rattles/squeaks.

Does anybody know if there is TSIB in Australia for the dash rattles/squeaks for the 2008+ model 2nd gen IS250 and IS350?

If there is, do you know the TSIB number?

Thanks.

Well IMO

the car is too quiet for its own good and it back fires at times

car would have more road noise and other noises that cancel out the interior rattles

it seems most lexus owners notice it abit more than other car owners due to the fact that its so dead quiet

go have a drive in other cars with the windows up and no radio or music

you would hear alot more noise

Lexus makes good cars

but nothing is perfect

the noise is just amplified more due to the car being so quiet

I know there is a TSIB in the USA for the 2006-2007 IS250 and IS350 for the dash rattles/squeaks.

Does anybody know if there is TSIB in Australia for the dash rattles/squeaks for the 2008+ model 2nd gen IS250 and IS350?

Thanks.

Given the prevalence of some rattles and squeaks, I would guess there exists a documented procedure for fixing them.

But, perhaps, your real question is, "If there a recall for the 2008+ model 2nd gen IS250 and IS350, with regard to rattles and squeaks, so I can get them fixed free of charge?"

I would guess again that the answer is no. But there are some factors that might minimise any cost to you for fixing them outside of the warranty period. I believe there are three kinds of rattles and squeaks:

1. The most common one emanates from the glovebox. It is easily found when the technician fiddles with the air filter and/or removes the shelf inside the glovebox. Perhaps your Lexus dealer will be nice enough to help fix this one without any labour costs, since it's easy to identify and fix. (And if they've recently performed a major service and replaced the filter, then just complain that they didn't do a good job, because it's been rattling since you got the car back.)

2. The second one involves the door seals. The doors can rattle due to dry door seals, particularly in winter. Your Lexus dealer can show you how to fix these yourself, so the only cost to you would be some lubricant spray.

3. The third one involves the foam inside the body panels. I once had a rattle in the B pillar on the passenger's side. A fix would involve removing some interior panels, and perhaps insertion of even more foam. I suspect these are the kinds of problems that would cost you if you find them outside of the warranty period, but they're not as prevalent as the other two types.

Thanks.

Given the prevalence of some rattles and squeaks, I would guess there exists a documented procedure for fixing them.

But, perhaps, your real question is, "If there a recall for the 2008+ model 2nd gen IS250 and IS350, with regard to rattles and squeaks, so I can get them fixed free of charge?"

I would guess again that the answer is no. But there are some factors that might minimise any cost to you for fixing them outside of the warranty period. I believe there are three kinds of rattles and squeaks:

1. The most common one emanates from the glovebox. It is easily found when the technician fiddles with the air filter and/or removes the shelf inside the glovebox. Perhaps your Lexus dealer will be nice enough to help fix this one without any labour costs, since it's easy to identify and fix. (And if they've recently performed a major service and replaced the filter, then just complain that they didn't do a good job, because it's been rattling since you got the car back.)

2. The second one involves the door seals. The doors can rattle due to dry door seals, particularly in winter. Your Lexus dealer can show you how to fix these yourself, so the only cost to you would be some lubricant spray.

3. The third one involves the foam inside the body panels. I once had a rattle in the B pillar on the passenger's side. A fix would involve removing some interior panels, and perhaps insertion of even more foam. I suspect these are the kinds of problems that would cost you if you find them outside of the warranty period, but they're not as prevalent as the other two types.

Thanks for that Lance.

I believe there is a 4th rattle/squeak. Just near the speaker on top of the dash at the base of the windshield. It seems to be a very common place to rattle/squeak based on what people say on the US Lexus forums. This is TSIB i'm looking for, if there is one that is.

That's the rattle I had, I ended up fixing it by cutting up an old belt and squeezing it between the dash and the windshield there and it's gone. If you hold down the dash as you drive do you find the rattling stops?

my 350 has rattle too. I dropped it to Chatswood Lexus 3 times just purely for the rattle fix. Unfortunately, its still negative outcome.

I can tell the technician started to feel annoyed on me on the third visit. Honestly, i don't want to waste my time to keep dropping the car to dealer. I'm just trying to live with the rattle now....I dropped my car 4 times to the dealer last year (including the cam gear change). I think its more than enough for me!!!!!!!

and yea...what a joke !!!!! we are talking about Lexus !!! its classified as luxury car (correct me if am wrong). Its not the noise we are expecting.

Not sure if 3IS would have this kinda rattle.

good luck guys for the fix.