Joe Z Exhaust - Possible Defect Of My Isf

@mans247

Hey Guys,

I just got back from overseas to find a letter from the EPA, requesting that i book my car in for a DB test, someone lodged a complaint. I called them to dispute this and they said that it was not a person of the general public and it was most probably a cop. If it was a public citizen I would have simply received a warning. She also told me that if it doesn't pass the test of being below 90 DB at 4,950 revs then the car would be defected.

Has anyone else had this issue? What a pain in the @ss. I am now going to have to return the exhaust back to stock and get the test done. It is making me question whether I should keep the exhaust at all if I am going to have this issue again. A cop can simply take your rego number down and call the EPA. Another annoying thing is the closest testing facility is in Granville and I live on the North Shore so I will have to take the day off.

Anyone know the DB of their Joe Z Exhaust by any chance or have any advice for me?

Appreciate your help.

well it must have been a cop who saw me rip it at the lights or something. Really annoying, the wife is telling me not to bother putting the Joe Z back on incase it happens again. Hate it when shes right!

Did you buy the Joe Z from Chatswood? If so I would go back to them and have them sort it out for you. We all know the Joe Z is not under 90dB, however I would think the Chatswood guys would have taken this into consideration before selling it to the public?

Just a thought.

So you did buy it from them? Did they make you sign a waiver before selling it to you stating they are not responsible for any fines etc? If not, I would make them take it off and put back on free of charge.

lol vincent

no car with an aftermarket exhaust is under 90db

unless it's a fujitsubo

even just taking off a centre muffler the sound lvl goes up

Yea Danny I know anything other than stock won't pass the test. But as a big dealer selling something they know won't pass an EPA inspection, wouldn't they be liable (if it was installed by them, which for mans247's case it is not)?

Yea Danny I know anything other than stock won't pass the test. But as a big dealer selling something they know won't pass an EPA inspection, wouldn't they be liable (if it was installed by them, which for mans247's case it is not)?

I dont reLly care either way but This is a great way to have chatswoods return to a normal dealer and offer nothing after market. If this is what you want keep recommending blaming the dealer who sounds like they just want to help their perfomance oriented lexus customers, I don't know the story with chatswoods selling after market parts but I am sure they are not professing them to be eom.

I'm not an expert, but I don't believe they would be liable. No dealer would be responsible for the usage of parts supplied - you can legally use your car with aftermarket exhaust, tyres or ECU mods on a track.

I'm sure a tyre provide can fit slicks on cars, but doesn't mean they are liable if the owner decides drive on them straight away and use the car on public roads.

yeah at the same time though I dont think you will find many dealerships selling parts for a high end vehicle that can cause that car to be defected. Its not like this exhaust was bought in China town at Paddys market...

• 3 weeks later...

I got the epa test results back and its all cleared now - funnily enough the stock exhaust reads 86 DB only 4 below the legal limit. They must have a different limit on each car because there is no way that a C63 would be below 90db.

One thing that was interesting was that they went through the entire car, I had to get the rampod covered up (luckily there was a performance place across the road that could do it).

An exposed air filter is apparently a defect.

I got the epa test results back and its all cleared now - funnily enough the stock exhaust reads 86 DB only 4 below the legal limit. They must have a different limit on each car because there is no way that a C63 would be below 90db.

I dont think there is an actual db level for OEM exhaust out of the factory. A lot of the hyper cars has buttons open to straight thru exhaust. I think the rule is, if it came from the factory like that it is OK.

doesnt make sense but like must rules i guess