Best Engine Oil For High Km Isx50

OK, my beloved car has just ticked over the monumental 100K km mark, and it's going strong than ever. No major issues what so ever through out the life, true Toyota relibility there.

The only minor issue I've noticed lately is the "low engine oil" light is coming up a lot sooner than before. For my last two oil change services, the light came up after only travelled 6000km out of the recommended 15000km service interval. I had to top up about 1 to 2 Lites of engine oil just so it can last until the next service.

I know Toyota engines in general, espically car in this age tends to chew thru engine oil faster. ---> Result of 3 hours of research on various Toyota/Lexus/IS forums.

This issue is also has been verified by the Lexus service centre guys and treated as a normal behavior.

Now, since I'm going to do DIY oil change from now on, I'm interested to see which Engine Oil and Oil Type/Grade you guys using or been told to use?

On the OEM Oil Cap -> 5W30

Chatwood Lexus Recommend -> 10w40 (better engine protection with this thicker oil?)

Chatwood service manager told me they use -> Caltex Engine Oil

Fuel Economy -> 550KM Full Tank

There are similar topics covered on the U.S forums, but I don't think it's applicable here as we have a warmer climate.

Especially love to hear feedbacks from high KM ISX50 owners.

Also, for people want to learn more about engine oil and the differences between types/grades, read here:

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

You said high mileage? 100K isn't high, 200K+ is what I'd class as high mileage these days. I'd stick with 5w30, I definitely wouldn't use 10w40, not good for VVTi or fuel economy. If you must run a 40 weight then 0w-40 or 5w-40 synthetic only but you've got another 100K before you even need to think about going that thick. Back to your 5w30, Motul 8100 or Mobil1 are very good options.

Thanks for the advice Carl!

100K is already the highest km car I ever owned, usually I change to a younger car before reach that, but I guess this time the IS is a keeper.

Funny thing is, after the major 90K service, I'm acutally getting better milages with the thicker oil (10W40). I used to only get less than 500Km per tank, but now it's at least 550Km each tank.

I think I'll try 5w30 this time, may be Mobil 1

Mobil1 is far superior to Castrol Edge sliq. You've been sucked in by the marketing if you think otherwise.

The reason you're fuel economy has improved is more down tho the fact a 90K service replaces trans & diff oil as well as spark plugs. 10w40 will never improve fuel economy over a 5w30

If you want to learn more about oil then there's only one place on the net worth looking http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

If you want the best >> https://www.facebook.com/motulaustraliacars

Thanks for the feedbacks guys!

I went down to the local Autobahn and the rep recommonded Motul, so I bought the last 2 bottles of 5L Motul Eco 8100 5w30, I don't think they even stock much of these.

Going to change oil & filter this weekend, I'll see how this plays out.

Which one did you get? Eco-clean or Eco-nergy? Hopefully the nergy. That's a good price for Motul. M1 is $87 for 5L at supercheap. You get what you pay for with oil, don't be fooled by cheap "synthetics" like castrol which are made from group 3 (hydrocracked) base stocks rather than group 4 (PAO) like Motul & Mobil1

From my experience Castrol is rubbish, the Edge Titianium goes down fast and the engine is especially loud compare to Mobil. In my opinion Mobil is pretty good! Definitely will supply my own Mobil oil next time i go for service.

• 5 months later...

Mobil1 is good but Motul is better again (speaking from personal experience).

All the Motul products you mentioned are designed to meet different specifications whether they be manufactures specs, ACEA or ILSAC. Look at the performance standard for each range & you'll see they're all different. C3, C1 A5/B5 etc. They're to to with ash content, fuel economy, HTHS etc. Have a read to see what they all mean http://www.infineum.com/Documents/ACEA/ACEA%202012%20oil%20sequences.pdf & http://www.infineum.com/Pages/ACEAandAPITables.aspx

I can vouch for the X-clean 5W-30 being a very good oil, we use it in a lot of Toyota/Lexus direct injection motors here. That would probably be my choice although the Eco-nergy looks interesting but probably a bit on the thin side

I run 300V 5W30 in my own car but that's another story...

• 3 months later...

Topped up my IS250 with mostly 10W30, but that wasn't enough. So I used a little bit on Castrol Magnatec 10W40. I know mixing oils is best avoided, but is this ok for the time being?

Hoping to get my car serviced with my local mechanic, I believe he stocks Magnatec 5W30, not sure if he has 10W30 like the dealership.

• 4 weeks later...

From my experience Castrol is rubbish, the Edge Titianium goes down fast and the engine is especially loud compare to Mobil. In my opinion Mobil is pretty good! Definitely will supply my own Mobil oil next time i go for service.

So your is250 sipping engine oil with the Castrol Edge 5-30W?