Have a look at my rear RHS alloy wheel.

Came back from a trip yesterday, went to a Shine car wash next morning my wheel is heavily marked and it will not come off, went back to the car wash they couldn't get it off but off course it's not their fault.

The other 3 wheels have very slight marking in spots and that wont come off either.

Any opinions ?

post-6491-0-20434900-1394421605_thumb.jp

post-6491-0-43392100-1394421641_thumb.jp

The wheel cleaner they used was too acidic/agressive.I think your rims will have to be rubbed back and clearcoated again.Complain to the supervisor and if you don't get anywhere work your way to the top.

Just spoke to the carwash again, I think he realises that what you say is true, he sounded a little sheepish, I said I'd wait for a ruling from Lexus to confirm.....getting money out of them may be a different matter,

Detailing forum thinks that an acidic cleaner was used and left on the wheels for too long as well: http://www.detailparadise.com.au/showthread.php?10959-What-happened-to-these-wheels-Was-the-cleaner-too-acidic

They said to try hand polishing, if it has eaten into the clear though I'm not sure of how much help that would be.

Why did it take so long for the damage to show up ?

It was ok when I left the car wash.....I didn't look but I presume it didn't look like it does now,

Maybe they forgot to rinse off the cleaner and let it dry? Then slowly it has been eating away the clear.

Detailing forum thinks that an acidic cleaner was used and left on the wheels for too long as well: http://www.detailparadise.com.au/showthread.php?10959-What-happened-to-these-wheels-Was-the-cleaner-too-acidic

As above.This is exactly what's happened.It's time to head to the carwash and calmly but firmly ask them to fix it for you at their expense.

Seems the wheels are actually painted so they need repainting, about $1500, now for Shine to take responsibility.

Hope your wheels come back great after the repainting. I have x wheels too with same finish...make me nervous / extra aware when I go to car wash shop after hearing your story.

This is one reason why I will never take any future new car to a commercial carwash - whilst they might look slick and suggest they know what they are doing, god only knows what 'products' they are using to clean your car

Like you, learnt the hard way with my car - not as bad as yours but these marks are definitely due to wheel cleaner etching the clearcoat and probably going beyond and mixing with surface brake dust just for good measure! I think I read somewhere that acidic cleaner combined with relatively hot wheel temp and time is a bad combination! Lexus wheel coating might also be soft?

Not sure I've heard/seen this happening with other makes though

Putting it through insurance, they can deal with them.

I wouldn't go through insurance if I was you, they may just not bother with the carwash and you will end up paying excces and may loose your no claim bonus, very costly!

Get a letter from Lexus to say in their opinion it was damaged by using acid, armed with this ask ( in writting) the carwash to pay for them to be repaired, DON'T give the wheels to them to repair.

If they refuse or don't reply your next step is fair trading, it will only cost you $50 for the claim.

Your only other option is a Lexus warranty claim, assuming its still under warranty.

Good luck and let us know how you go .

Insurance already told me there will be no excess payable and they took the carwash details.

I'm not concerned,.

Taking someone to fair trading is a pain and it doesn't mean you'll get your money even if you win.

Taking it for assessment tomorrow, I get a hire car free too.

I'll let you know how it ends up.

Insurance already told me there will be no excess payable and they took the carwash details.

I'm not concerned,.

If thats the case well and good.

Taking someone to fair trading is a pain and it doesn't mean you'll get your money even if you win.

Fair trading judgement is final and binding on all parties.

"""""""Fair trading judgement is final and binding on all parties."""""""""

Got a judgement on someone once, he laughed walked away and I never got the money, I think someone else bankrupted him in the end, still no money.

Well you can't get anything from a bankrupt !!

I don't know why you would take your car to a jo-blows car wash.

I can get one free cae wash per month from my Lexus dealer as long as I own the car, thye do it while I'm having free coffee on them. I don't intend to use their service, I prefer to wash her myself.