Guys,

Got my car serviced at Chatswood Lexus last week and asked them to install a brand new set of 2012 DRL Headlights for me. It's an Australian spec "stripped set" I bought from eBay, I had high hope for this. But it turns out the "stripped set" is missing a few essential bits if you retrofitting them on the older model of 2IS.

According to Chatswood Lexus, I need the following additional parts:

LX-8112553540 - Headlamp Loom Harness $92 pair

LX-8110753501 - Control Module/Ballast $950 pair

LX-9007566004 - Locking Cap $32 pair

My car is a 2007 X-edition, which didn't have the factory xenon option. I currently run a aftermarket HID conversion kit on the existing headlight unit. Now, the question is if I want to re-use the existing aftermarket HID, do I still need to buy the control module (LX-8110753501)?

Also, do I need anything else?

If you use an aftermarket ballast then you won't need the ballast but will it fit into the OEM wiring and seal the headlight properly? The Lexus ballast is designed to form a seal around the headlight and keep out moisture/air. If I were you, I'd just buy a cheap second hand set on ebay.

That's all the parts you need and the bulbs too. If you want it to work like stock 2011+ models, in the sense that the DRL turns on in the day and 50% dimmed at night you might need to make a harness unless Chatswood knows how to do that.

It's a great upgrade though, be sure to post up some pictures when you're done :)

You can use your aftermarket HIDs but most likely you'll have to drill holes in your headlight covers for the wiring which is not recommended in case it rains. Best to look for genuine ballasts off eBay if you can get them cheap second hand or from a older headlight HID model.

If you need it to work like factory then you might need some modules and relays.

Thanks for the info guys!

With my current hid setup, I followed the DIY guide on the Club Lexus forum, drilled holes on the headlight housing cover to run the wiring out to the ballast. This particular aftermarket HID conversion kit came with plugs that sealed up the holes nicely.

Now with this new headlight, I thought about using the OEM ballast, but all info I heard is that it'll require baking the headlight, open up to insert the OEM ballast properly. This sounds a bit risky and complicate to me. So I opted to go aftermarket HID instead.

Since I already has the aftermarket ballast, I've since purchased a new set of D4S bulbs for the new headlight.

John, got any more info on the module/relays? Where I can buy it from?

Chatswood Lexus was going to link the DRL to the park light switch as they have no idea how to make it work like OEM.

I really want it to function like OEM.

There is a lot of info on the US forum, but from what I can gather, their headlight wiring is different to ours.

Once I get everything sorted out, I'll post up a DIY guide to help the next guy.

you dont have to open the headlight to get the ballast and stuff in

they are on the bottom all you have to do is

take off a braket and remove the cover

install ballast and then reassemble

its a 5 min job

and you should have called me

i got alot of HID stuff and parts for spares

could have sold it to you for less than half price of a stealership

Edited by ilv1004s
  • Like 1

Keep us informed how you go, I put some 6000K HIDs into existing 2010 headlights, these were done before the DRL model came out. It was a job done by a motorsports garage, they knew what they were doing and suggesting removing the bumper and placing the ballast under the head lights. This was a much neater job then placing the ballasts in the engine bay. The car was still under new car warranty so I did want any noticeable add ons, then replaced the fog and main beam with Phillips 5000K Halogen so all the lights look same colour.

Thanks for the info guys!

With my current hid setup, I followed the DIY guide on the Club Lexus forum, drilled holes on the headlight housing cover to run the wiring out to the ballast. This particular aftermarket HID conversion kit came with plugs that sealed up the holes nicely.

Now with this new headlight, I thought about using the OEM ballast, but all info I heard is that it'll require baking the headlight, open up to insert the OEM ballast properly. This sounds a bit risky and complicate to me. So I opted to go aftermarket HID instead.

Since I already has the aftermarket ballast, I've since purchased a new set of D4S bulbs for the new headlight.

Did you buy d4s for your existing ballast?

Yep, it's a 55w digital kit, the maker only carry up to D2S bulbs, so I'll have to modify the bulb base to fit in D4S socket.

I might look into the OEM HID setup if it's as easy to install as what Danny said.