IS and IS-F stereo upgrade with Android/Carplay Head Unit and Stinger dash trim kit

_ISF

Not necessarily IS-F specific, as it relates to the 2006-2013 Lexus IS chassis in general - but i have made some initial inquiries and done some basic research on upgrading/updating the IS-F stereo/nav etc as it's very much outdated, quite daggy and not great to use in my opinion.

I was wondering if anyone else on here has done a similar update? Stinger sell the complete new dash trim assembly (not cheap...around $1200) and it incorporates a new little screen and controls for the HVAC unit. Android Auto/Apple Carplay head units can be purchased over a large price range from the basic ($400 approx) with many of the better ones around $700-900.

So it's roughly a $2000 investment to update the dash and stereo/nav. No doubt the price of the Stinger dash kit is enough to turn most away, but was just wondering if anyone has done the upgrade and if you are happy with it. Please feel free to share pics too.

I went with the beatsonic in my IS250, very happy, kit is made to suit auto so direct swap i had a little bit of modifying due to being manual but apart from that i am loving it!

Same deal uses an aftermarket HU so i went with the Kenwood DDX 9017DABS with all of the bells and whistles and it really brought life to my ML stereo!

IMG_0103-.jpg

I have the Grom Vline, full Android upgrade. It is plug and play and doesn't interfere with the stock nav system, you press the AUX or Audio button and it switches between stock/Vline. Full steering wheel controls and android app support.

Got mine for about $500 I think with the pre order.

Yeah the GROM looks to be a winner, i read about 120859348 bad reviews hence not getting it, but hear that with some more recent updates its been working well! Deffinately an option for keeping the OEM look and getting some better tech. Beatsonic also retains SWC, including the choice of having some buttons work on the nav unit or all on the new HU and i also have to ability to push video from the HU to the factory screen, (that doesnt include phone apps, but actual DVD video).

There is another picture on the Stinger website of a RHD install. Plastics look to match up very well. Been thinking on-again/off-again about upgrading the nav system. Was going to wait until GROM sorted their issues out, now it's nice to have another option.

On 9/21/2017 at 7:03 AM, banserki said:

I have the Grom Vline, full Android upgrade. It is plug and play and doesn't interfere with the stock nav system, you press the AUX or Audio button and it switches between stock/Vline. Full steering wheel controls and android app support.

Got mine for about $500 I think with the pre order.

Did you purchase in Oz or from Os? What year is your Lexus?

I found this

https://cushieaudio.com.au/product/grom-vline-lexus/

$700 :wacko:

Baz

Yeah thats about right for the GROM, i think its $500 USD so i think thats actually cheaper than buying from overseas. Once again its a good chunk of cash but if it performs and does what you need then im sure most are happy to pay that. The beatsonic i got was AU$530ish from Japan, once again if you want the factory look the GROM is probably the best unit for that, other units exist, but none with as many features as the GROM so it comes down to what you really want out of the system, being a 06 my car had a stacker and a AUX port, no one uses CD's and AUX is awful for control of whats playing ect, i am very tech savvy so i saw what i could acomplish with the GROM vs beatsonic and i decided to go with the beatsonic, i regret it not at all, with Android Auto and Google Play Music i pretty much have every song i could ever want at my fingertips, i just press the voice button and say play "song name" and it plays. So for me that is pretty spectacular, as well as the fact AA makes taking calls, replying to SMS ect ect work flawlessly. Once again, what you want out of the system dictates your best choice, i wanted a system that would never date, and i have that, because if my system dates all it takes is a new HU.

Cost me $400 USD, usual price is $400. Model year 2011. Worth every penny in my case as I couldn't stand not having steering wheel controls and having to plug my aux in every time.

21 hours ago, banserki said:

Cost me $400 USD, usual price is $400. Model year 2011. Worth every penny in my case as I couldn't stand not having steering wheel controls and having to plug my aux in every time.

banserki, are you running with the GROM in the glovebox?

• 3 years later...
On 9/24/2017 at 7:53 AM, Murdzz said:

Yeah thats about right for the GROM, i think its $500 USD so i think thats actually cheaper than buying from overseas. Once again its a good chunk of cash but if it performs and does what you need then im sure most are happy to pay that. The beatsonic i got was AU$530ish from Japan, once again if you want the factory look the GROM is probably the best unit for that, other units exist, but none with as many features as the GROM so it comes down to what you really want out of the system, being a 06 my car had a stacker and a AUX port, no one uses CD's and AUX is awful for control of whats playing ect, i am very tech savvy so i saw what i could acomplish with the GROM vs beatsonic and i decided to go with the beatsonic, i regret it not at all, with Android Auto and Google Play Music i pretty much have every song i could ever want at my fingertips, i just press the voice button and say play "song name" and it plays. So for me that is pretty spectacular, as well as the fact AA makes taking calls, replying to SMS ect ect work flawlessly. Once again, what you want out of the system dictates your best choice, i wanted a system that would never date, and i have that, because if my system dates all it takes is a new HU.

Is or was ( 3 years ago haha ) 2009? I have a 2010 but I am not sure if I can do it in my car.

• 1 year later...

There is a new head unit for our cars that looks quite promising. T'Eyes CC3.

https://teyes.com.au/products/lexus-is250-xe20-2005-2013

They have 3 alternatives:

+ Option A for most recent 2IS, Option B for older 2IS; these look OEM!

+ and another version for cars with no OEM navigation.

I am most interested in Option A which is the one I would need for my car. Has anyone installed this?

There is a forum in the UK with interesting information; ignore the XTRONS posts:

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/133798-mini-review-of-xtrons-head-unit-for-the-is250/?&page=2#comments

According to that forum the temperature buttons come hardwired for LHD cars (which will annoy me!) but a guy has found a way to swap it (no details).

Has anyone had any experience with this or attempted swapping the buttons around?