OBDII Dongle for '08 IS-F

Qazza

G'day,

I've done some searching online and through these forums but I can't seem to find a definitive answer on what OBDII dongles are compatible with the Lexus IS-F. I am after something that can connect to an iPhone through either Bluetooth or WiFi (preferably Bluetooth though) and then I would use a suitable app on my iPhone to check and clear codes. Are the common eBay ones OK to use? or do I need something a bit more substantial?

Appreciate your advice guys and girls.

Cheers

Edited by Qazza
needed clearer detail

Mine is "mini VCI Techstream" dongle from eBay and there seems to be heaps of sellers.

The issue isn't plugging it into the car, the risk is that it's pretty old tech, and the one I bought didn't work with Win10.  It just so happens I had a working Win7 laptop lying around, and after rolling back the java version to the 2011 version (lol) it works just fine.

If it's advertised for Lexus/Toyota, it should fit the car....but what I'd do, is message the seller to confirm that it works with Win10, so that if/when it doesn't boot up, you can claim a refund.

Thanks Babalouie. I knew I wouldn't have asked my question perfectly. I should have explained that I am after something that can connect to an iPhone through either Bluetooth or WiFi (preferably Bluetooth though) and then I would use a suitable app on my phone to check and clear codes.

I might edit my original post in case someone else is looking at this too (or for future searches)

I have found a device that I think should do the job, but yes as you've suggested, I have asked if it's compatible with my car and phone. Haven't had a response just yet though.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELM327-OBDII-OBD2-Bluetooth-Car-Scanner-Diagnosis-Tool-Torque-Android-IOS-iPhone/123882444242

I have this one https://www.ebay.com.au/i/192349771926?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-139619-5960-0&mkcid=2&itemid=192349771926&targetid=467329387106&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9071755&poi=&campaignid=6472420982&mkgroupid=77077696025&rlsatarget=pla-467329387106&abcId=1141706&merchantid=118973406&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_absBRD1ARIsAO4_D3sn6b6pjJuH30ySzAG7AYQH0H3fAZQeEgk4ZlxnAJtiE2TpRy52NxMaAgc4EALw_wcB

You can get it for as low as $10 lol.  Bit bulky though so i guess its possible you foot could possibly hit it but i havent to date.  Runs well with the torque app and my vline.  Havent setup and custom gauges just yet but works well.

Did have another smaller one but hit and miss with connection so got a refund on that.

20190924_154127.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I use this one with Harry’s LapTimer and it works well.

Tonwon OBD 2 Bluetooth Scanner - Amazon $31.99 Delivered

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07BVJJRLW/ref=pe_2361882_282382012_TE_item

I have only used the free features of the Auto Doctor and it works fine. It claims it is compatible with this and other specified OBD Scanner software ... so I assume it works with all the paid features too.

Harry’s LapTimer also offers Harry’s GPS/OBD Buddy app for a $1.49 ... it’s free if you already use Harry’s Lap Timer ... It presents a range of engine data in a much better format than the ‘Scanner’ apps I have attached a screen shot below ... unfortunately I am away so it is not connected to my ISF ... I will upload another screen shot later this week when I have it connected

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/harrys-gps-obd-buddy/id320423931 

4DCD15CC-8135-4652-8563-C6BF4A31A6BD.thumb.png.233c2043bcf7e89f38955891fe772d59.png     B1E2C2DF-0C23-4EFF-AA7C-C99A7CB385E9.thumb.png.0932aec186dde0fe87ae7ee2dd7896a0.png

Hey guys,

Thanks for all of the valuable input!

I thought I should do an update on my findings so far...

I purchased this device
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELM327-OBDII-OBD2-Bluetooth-Car-Scanner-Diagnosis-Tool-Torque-Android-IOS-iPhone/123882444242

It turned up on time and as described by the seller.

Plugged it in and turned it on (it has a manual On/Off button. Connected it via Bluetooth through the 'Car Scanner' app and so far so good. No hiccups, no issues. It read codes but I technically haven't had to clear any codes as yet.

Once again, thanks for everybody's input!

Cheers

• 2 years later...