hi Everyone,

ive searched and searched regarding headunit change on my is 350 F sport with nav. no problems in one without nav but with nav i can’t find a anything.

Now there’s nothing wrong with my unit i just hate the display and not have carplay 

any help would be greatly appreciated 

• 2 years later...

I have tried GROM in my 2012 IS350 and ended up returning it as it was very unstable. 

GROM seems to focus their development and testing on older 2IS cars. 

Now there is a new head unit for our cars that looks quite promising: T'Eyes CC3.

https://teyes.com.au/products/lexus-is250-xe20-2005-2013

They have 3 alternatives:

+ Option A for most recent 2IS, Option B for older 2IS; these look OEM!

+ and another version for cars with no OEM navigation.

I am most interested in Option A which is the one I would need for my car. Has anyone installed this?

There is a forum in the UK with interesting information; ignore the XTRONS posts:

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/133798-mini-review-of-xtrons-head-unit-for-the-is250/?&page=2#comments

According to that forum the temperature buttons come hardwired for LHD cars (which will annoy me!) but a guy has found a way to swap it (no details).

Has anyone had any experience with this or attempted swapping the buttons around?

Looks interesting. Never seen this one before. Pity about the left bank of buttons loosing their function, prob not too big a deal. 

Wish I has a spare $580 lying around or I would get one 😞

It is actually the physical buttons on the tablet that get hidden behind the frame what they refer to.

The only thing I don't like is the temperature buttons the other way around (driver and passenger).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

does anyone know if you can get a "blank" unit instead of the CD stacker once this is installed?

just a quality of life thing to make it look more sleek seeing as the CD stacker and those lower buttons are no longer used.

TIA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

CarPlay success in a 2012 ISF

Purchased my 2012 ISF a few months ago, always with the intention of installing CarPlay

Success or not with the GROM units, to some extent, seems to be the luck of the draw.

Was almost going to buy a unit from a mob in Melbourne, posted ^^^ further up.  But after numerous attempts to contact them they responded and said they are, basically, not available.  I feel I dodged a bullet there. Especially considering that the non Grom units often use the Aux input and you loose functionality like track skip via the wheel controls etc

So I picked up a Grom Vlite.  Read the warning that with the “LEX6” Grom version you may need to engage the car UI before selecting reverse to get the camera to work.  True in my case.

Instal took most of the day.  Gritted my teeth and pulled the centre vent out (use pliers, not a coat hanger!) Headunit out, passenger knee bag and glovebox out.

Mic wired into the overhead light console, into the spare mic port adjacent to the factory unit

USB run to the centre console (pain in the arse that was).  headunit wired up, interface in the glovebox.  Lucky I’m not a smoker, barely room for ciggies in this car now …

Boom. Works. Like magic.  It’s been 2 weeks and to say I’m impressed is an understatement.  It’s responsive and quick to load.  The old original touchscreen works better than expected, keeping in mind it’s resistive, not capacitive.

The interface switches between CarPlay and standard UI no issue (for climate, to control the fan speed, for example).  Music is crisp and clear. Maps work great.  Call quality is good (slightly muffled voice out due to my preferred mic location)

Siri, notifications, warnings, steering wheel volume and track change buttons work.  CD, original GPS maps (hahaha) all work.   Wireless CarPlay even.  Took some patience to set that up via Bluetooth initially.  Fires up wirelessly every time

So, the reverse camera.  I have to select the car UI with the Climate button first  Wait a second, then select reverse.

I figured that support would be paramount, expecting the “inevitable” issues. So I was pleased to see I could buy locally.

I bought the unit from Cushie Audio on the Gold Coast.  Skot there answered my initial questions and follow up afterwards.

I feel that the unit is an investment, makes the car more enjoyable to drive and it’s satisfying to buy from a business that supports what they sell.