I’ve recently started experiencing odd AC issues. My ac runs very cool when the car is first started for about 5 minutes and when I take off and drive at a constant speed 50+ it runs very cold.

However when I come to the traffic lights it works for a while then starts to cool as if the AC button has been clicked off, as in not very well. The more traffic idling I do, the more the issue persists until I can get it at a decent speed for a consistent time again.

The only way I can get around this is if I switch the AC button off, wait a few seconds, then switch it on at which point it will be very cold for at least a minute of idling and then start again.

i have checked the fans and can hear them running when the issue is happening. I can also notice a change in RPM when the compressor kicks in which stays like that even when the problem is occurring so I’m assuming the compressor is still working. 

Refrigerant levels checked and they were only slightly low. Adding some extra to the levels made no change.

I hosed my condenser out clean from top to bottom and it made no change.

If anyone knows anything about what could be causing this please reach out.

Mainly it is due to the car defaulting to recirculate settings every time it is powered back on, but I’ve tried it without and it’s the samw