Tyre Advice For My Tezza

I have some 18inch rims on my ride, the Amistads, i'll try and post a pic or somethin. but they be some wide asss rims. anyhows, i use to have a crazy drop on the car. with front clearance of negative 1/4 inch and rear wheel clearance of 1/2 inch. the camber was off then. i have on some Yokohma Street racing Sliks 215/40/18 on the front (the problem tyres), i wear 225/40/18 on the rear (which is quite fine).

As i live in very bad terrain, i had to raise the height of the car. i am now 1 & 1/2 inch clearance to the front and 1 & 1/2 clearance to the rear. The camber was corrected but now i realize that the inner tread of my front tyres are wearing away rapidly.

My tyre dealer recommended that i fit some 225/40/18 Federal tyres on the front wheel to protect the rim and correct the camber to get rid of the tyre wear on the inner side of the tyre.

i dont know, but with the tyre i currently have they provide me with concave sidewalls so, i i dont have to worry when my fibre glass fenders rub on my tyres cause they will never meet. however with the federals they tend to have str8 sidwalls which i beleive will possibly crack my fenders if it comes in contact with it, especially at high speeds.

Please guys, i need help, i know some of u guys must be riding 18s with sweet drops, i just wanna know what size tyres y'all wearing and if str8ening the camber alone will work ?

Thanks alot guys.

yeah im runnin 215/40Z/R18's and reasonable low but not sacked out. I do notice rubbing on the front guards which is only when turning and usally when reversing.

Matt was telling me about camber kits so maybe one of these could help fix your problem but in general when you go low you hit these problems straight on!!!!!

I think the altezz's and lexus's wear the tyres out pretty quick on the inside my standard 17's had decent wear on the inside rears I noticed when I took them off for new mags

Yeah, the inside wear is a problem on a lot of IS200s. I'm not sure if camber is the problem tho', as toe-out wears the inside of the tyre much much faster than camber. Toe will change a lot with ride height as you brake and corner.

Certainly an adjustable camber kit would be needed if you lower it, as ride height moves camber straight away. A really good tyre alignment shop is needed here, preferably someone who works on racing cars. You should be able to run -3/4 to -1degree easily.

The wider the tyre the more the grip & the more the fuel usage from extra drag. I've stuck with the standard tyre sizes and gone for the best tyres for grip. Lots of tyres now overlap the rims to protect them from kerbs, and I wouldn't rate Federals very highly for grip.

So grab a camber kit and a good workshop, then try different tyres. maybe we can swap tyres within the club for a week...

:D

keith

Yeah, the inside wear is a problem on a lot of IS200s. I'm not sure if camber is the problem tho', as toe-out wears the inside of the tyre much much faster than camber. Toe will change a lot with ride height as you brake and corner.

Certainly an adjustable camber kit would be needed if you lower it, as ride height moves camber straight away. A really good tyre alignment shop is needed here, preferably someone who works on racing cars. You should be able to run -3/4 to -1degree easily.

The wider the tyre the more the grip & the more the fuel usage from extra drag. I've stuck with the standard tyre sizes and gone for the best tyres for grip. Lots of tyres now overlap the rims to protect them from kerbs, and I wouldn't rate Federals very highly for grip.

So grab a camber kit and a good workshop, then try different tyres. maybe we can swap tyres within the club for a week...

:D

keith

Yeah all the Altezzas I have seen so far have cambar problems because alot of people do not go back and get wheel alignments etc etc, I think problems only occur with IS200 sports in the UK, because they have a slightly lower suspension which may cause that problem. all standard height IS200/300 have absolute no problem, my Dunlop S9000 were fine for 26000 km until I lowered it with Eibachs and the help or Mag and Turbo doing that *BLEEP* job my tyre ran to its end of its useful life on 35500km...I have had me Contis for 5000km now and the alignment was done by Toyota and I havent had a problem yet, I heard from those US guys the IS can be lowered up to 2 inches without a camber problem if align probly...

Matt :D

Dang !!! my Camber was supposedly corrected when i raised the car, well thats what the alignment guy said, so i never expected it to wear you know. but what i wondering though , is , if the width of the rims is in any way contributing to the wear ? but then tyre size wont change no matter the width of the rims huh ? dang !!

Well i am trying to hook me up with some Yokohamas Street Sliks again but i am weary of the size to wear u know ?