Issues With The Quality Of The New Is250

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I am slowing getting sick of my new IS. It drives & performs well, but it is now in the shop once more (must be about 10th time) to be looked at for seat squeaks and dash rattles.

It also needed a new seat covering (Alcantara) replaced as the old one (on a seat that was only new in July) had distorted, and after 3 days in the workshop, no closer to having any problems fixed. :angry:

Am I the only one in Aust having these sort of issues, or is this forum really DEAD?

This may very well be the last time I ever buy a Lexus. :angry:

Hi!

I picked up my IS250 December 10. I recently started getting squeaks from the moon roof and the drivers seat. Its going in for service This friday, so i'll let you all know if it gets fixed. I agree that the car performs and drives well, but for 60 odd thousand dollars i would expect there to be no squeaking!

Cheers

Leeman

Hi!

I bought IS250 in NOV 06 and I'm also having dash rattles and front passanger door makes squeaking noise sometimes. I kinda feel really terrible, I have had other brand new cars before like silvia and etc, but I haven't had any trouble like this.

Which dealer did you buy it from? Is this covered by the warranty? When it's being serviced, do they give you the car for you to drive? The dealer who I bought from, I feel he kinda over promised on warranty and etc.

I do agree that IS250 is very nice to drive, but I wouldn't expect these kind of quality problem with 60-70 odd thousand dollars car.

cheers

:angry:

It is 4 years extendable warranty (at extra costs)/ 6 years paint and corrosion....

I also want to know about the servicing as i want to put in the best oil...I think it depends on the dealer but i would need to ring and ask for mine.

Yep. The standard warranty is as Idc has said.

You can extend up to 3 years from 4 years, and on the IS200s it was about $2,000. One year extra was about $1,300-$1,400, so getting 3 years is probably better value. You don't have to do it right now, but has to be done before the 4 year warranty runs out. That is, you can wait till the last week or so of the warranty period. Also, the extended warranty is transferable if you sell the car.

As for the oil, I am sure the dealer would put in the best for the car and recommended by the manufacturer, after all, it is under warranty and they have to fix the problems.

Hi,

I've had some minor issues too but nowhere as serious as Rap03.......taking it back 10 times is unacceptable, I'll ask for a new car.

Anyway, I've had my is250 for about 4 months and the sunroof started squeaking and rattling. But I took it into the dealership and they fixed with some lubricant. Still, not what I would expect from a lexus. Also I am getting the odd rattle in the interior around the dash but can't locate it, but overall okay. Service from lexus is also a bit up and down though to be fair this could be dealership dependant...though in theory they all should be the same.

Having a 325ci BMW previously, the lexus interior, panel fittment quality, service is in my opinion much better, but I expect it to be becuase it has to win customers over in areas where it may fall short ie. engine and chasis and lesser extent handling.

I'm going to give my first lexus a go for another couple of years, but I'm starting to feel myself shifting slightly back to a german car. ie. BMW. next time around.

G'day Lads,

Just a quick update.

Sunroof noise from the dealer was fixed with some "lubricant" as adised by the dealer.

The other rattles were from my drivers seat, apparently the bolts "get loose" and need refitment and tightening. Thats done and now it doesnt make any rattles.

My problem now is, when the sunroof "opens" it makes a louder then usual "thump".!!

Looks like it will go back again soon.. but i'll see.....

RE: Service, my experience was great.....I sent in a request via the Lexus Sydney website, and received a call within 20-30 mins to confirm the issues, i was booked in for service for the following friday (2 days). Dropped off the car, picked up the loan car (IS250 Prestige) and off i went!

Received a call at 4pm advising car was done....

Came in, the car was washed and vaccumed. Another little touch was a nice box of Lindt chocolates with Lexus Ribbon in the centre console. (yum!)

Also another thing... i enquired about purchasing extra "toyota oil" for the car. The service rep actually told me not to spend my money, and if i wanted to bring a container in and he would give some free! But he could only give a few litres at a time as "top up" oil! i think thats ok.. free new oil!!

Anyone else having problems?

Leeman

Did you take note fo the lent Is250? Any differences to your one?

As for extra oil. Do you do your own oil change or something?

Hi guys, funny you mention the quality issue as I just posted the very same comment in another section (what 18" for the is250)...I've had my is250 for 2 months and had the squeaky driver seat like some of you. .my moon roof also refused to close yesterday..I took the car to Lexus and they fixed the problems straight away but I was told the moonroof closing issue was quite common for the is250..aparently it a voltage/memory issue...

For those of you who experience the moonroof that won't close (why can't they just call it a sunroof?), you fix it by rotating the moonroof dial to the 'close' position and press it for 25-30 seconds..the roof will eventually trigger by opening all the way, then closing all the way..fixed ! (as told by the Lexus technician to fixed mine)

The only time i wasnt able to close my sunroof was when i forgot to close it when i turned off the engine (no this i not the part lol). I turn on the engine and could only close it by first turning the dial to open it and then turning the dial to close it.

Not sure if this is a fault or the way it works?

Idc.

I think it is just how it is. The same issues occurs if you open it using the remote key - that is, when you hold down the open button on the remote, all windows will open and the sun/moon roof will open. Obviously, the dial inside hasn't moved, so, to close the roof, either have to move dial to open and then close, or hold down the close button on the remote (fob) key and all windows should close and the roof.

Did you take note fo the lent Is250? Any differences to your one?

As for extra oil. Do you do your own oil change or something?

Hi!

Loan car was a prestige base model auto (no enhancement pack or moonroof) it was definitly not squeaking like mine!

I tend to replace oil on my own, but i havent done it for this car yet. I usually replace oil every 5000ks. I just dont feel "clean" with oil that is 15K old!

I might get lazy and just leave this car to the service agent! well see :)

Cheers

Lee

What is want to do is change my oil at avery 5000K, and at the major services that i need to take to the dealers, i would give them the oil that i have been using. Needless to say i would not tell them that i have been changing oils at 5000ks. Do you think they would approve to the oil i give them? I want to actually see them change my oil too,

• 1 month later...
What is want to do is change my oil at avery 5000K, and at the major services that i need to take to the dealers, i would give them the oil that i have been using. Needless to say i would not tell them that i have been changing oils at 5000ks. Do you think they would approve to the oil i give them? I want to actually see them change my oil too,

Hey everyone,

just an update.

My car went back into service for dash rattles and a-pillar rattles.

Its been in there for 1 week now, hopefully i will get it back Monday. (after being told it would be a one day fix). None the less i did tell them to fix it properly and i didnt want to be back again.

So far the service has been good (customer service that is...), and the loan car has been fun (RX 350), but after reading the TSIB's for the fixes, im scared my car is coming back all hacked up.

FYI the TSIB requires the tech to remove the head liner, and then hacksaw some clicps, and use a screw driver to pry certain hinges open!!!

I will be giving the car a very good check when i get it back to make sure there arent any defects on it!

We'll soon see!!

For those who dont know.. if you want the copies of the offical TSIBs goto :

www.lexushelp.com

Cheers

Lee

What dealer did your car repairer go through?

I'm going to cancel my appoinment this week cos it's going to rain and i want to make sure the sound can be heard properly.

• 1 month later...

Like most of you I have had several issues with my is250

It's been back to the dealer twice to fix a squeeky seat..which by the way, the service manager said was comon with the is250..

Recently my moonroof has started squeeking and there is a slight rattle coming from the passenger side of the car..I can't locate it and it is driving me crazy./..

Pretty disappointing considering the price of the car and the amount of competition out there..I could have purchased a beemer, merc, audi, alfa or saab for approximately the same money..I hope I don;t regret buying the is250.

I think most IS250's have problems, I have the moonroof/sunroof rattle, a rattle in the driver side pillar, and also a clunking sound when I am turning and braking at the same time, which does tend to happen a lot. It will be going back to the dealer for the second time to fix rattle on the drivers side pillar and the clunking sound again next week.

The sunroof rattle is a new one since I don't use the sunroof a lot I only heard it recently and it cannot be heard unless you have the sunroof open.

Hopefully next week I will be writing in to say everything has been fixed otherwise I might just consider following leeman's lead and see how I can go about recovering some of my money because at 85K for the sports luxury, I don't want any bloody rattles. I would have bought a 20K car had I wanted rattles.

Well i got my car back from the dealer this arvo and the buzzling sound is still there. Before i take it bad a second time i will try and fix it myself this Holiday Friday.

Somehow i didnt think the dealer did a good enough job. I am not keen in handing in my car unecessarily.

Keep you posted on the DIY fix.