Does anyone ordered their car with this option? I just want to know how it compare to non paint protection.

Also you can get it applied at anytime but i'm not sure how much it costs? is it worth it?

hey mate,

I haven't done it before, but I've been investigating a heap of options. I'm very tempted by:

http://www.paintprotectiondirect.com.au/index.html

I might try their DIY kit in the next couple (2-3) of weeks. I'll post results on the forum.

I would love to hear about other people's experience or recommendations on paint protection as well.

I'm not sure if the PP that you can get thru the dealers when you buy a new car is the same as what you are thinking of?

Some makes like Honda/Toyota do have this as an option before they handled the car over to you.

• 3 months later...

I'm kinda interested but i'm not sure about applying it now (6 months on) as apposed to having it done before i took delivery

Send me some info juxtintt@hotmail.com

• 2 months later...
hey mate,

I haven't done it before, but I've been investigating a heap of options. I'm very tempted by:

http://www.paintprotectiondirect.com.au/index.html

I might try their DIY kit in the next couple (2-3) of weeks. I'll post results on the forum.

After reading every page on the website you mention, I have ordered the DIY kit. I just picked up my black IS250 X today so I will apply it as soon as it arrives. I will also post up how things go. Thanks for the link kinjiru.

The sites looks very tempting i must say.

For those in Syndey that are doing it, i wouldnt mind having a close up inspection if you wouldnt mind having me over :)?

My DIY kit arrived last Tuesday. Ordered it Saturday night, got a call on Monday to say it was being processed and it was delivered on Tuesday, so we were off to a good start.

I spent about 5 hours today applying it. The new car kit has a car wash, a pre cleaner, and the actual paint sealant. It also has a sponge, 2 microfiber cloths, a chamois and 2 applicator pads. You start by using the wash. I didn't use the supplied sponge, but used a Meguiars lamb wool wash mitt. I used 2 buckets one with the wash/water and the 2nd with clean water. After cleaning each panel, I rinsed the wash mitt.

Next it's time to chamois it dry, using the supplied chamois. After just a wash the car wash looking much better then when I picked it up, which was not a clean as I would have expected. It had a number of marks, and you could see where the dealer removed the protective plastic that was stuck on some panels when the car was shipped.

Next you apply the micro pre-cleaner, which prepares the paint for the sealant. You apply then buff it with the supplied microfiber cloth. This removed a few marks that the dealer had kindly placed on my new black paint as mentioned above. At this stage I was already getting a bit tired (although that may have been due to having had about 2 hours sleep), however there were still 2 steps to go.

Next the actual sealant was applied. Initially applied to one panel at a time then buffed with another supplied (larger) micro-fibre cloth, you then re-apply and leave it for 10-15 minutes and buff it yet again. So the whole car ends up getting buffed 3 times, 1 time with pre cleaner and 2 times with sealant. So by the end my arms had well and truly had enough.

Now I am sure you are wondering how it looks. Well... I did the whole thing in my garage with 2 fluorescent lights above and natural light through an open panel lift door (none of the application should be done in sun light, so I chose to do it all in the garage). By the time I was finished it was already getting a little dark outside. So I haven't seen it totally in good light, but in my garage with fluorescent lights it does look exceptionally good. If you see photos (after photos that is) on any of the sites mentioned above, you will see they all are extremely reflective, wet looking, which my car is. However to be honest, after just the wash it was already very reflective (it is only a week old). I did take some photos as I was going but they are when the car is in the garage, so I am not sure if they will be much of a guide, and I haven't looked at the photos as yet.

One thing I liked a lot was that the pre cleaner and the sealant don't leave white marks or dust everywhere (when buffed) like when I use a normal wax. There is really very little at all, which would be noticeable on a black car. Also the products buff off relatively easily. Previously I had only used Meguriars products (not on this car as this was its first wash)which I find leave quite a lot of white dust and also get into gaps in panels leaving a white paste behind.

What the test will be is when I wash it next time and then time and time after that. If it stays anything like it is now, then I will be very happy. It is supposed to make regular washing easier and dirt is not supposed to stick as well to the sealant, and also the sealant repels water which will make drying it easier.

It is probably too early for me to give a good recommendation. But so far I am very impressed. It is time consuming but hopefully worth it.

I will post again tomorrow time permitting after I have a good look over it.

Thanks for the post steven250.

So how much did the kit costed?

Also, see if you can video the spashing of water on the car. Just want to see how the wax works.

The kit is $172.95 delivered or $194 in an aluminium case delivered.

When I had just washed the car, I poured clean water from a bucket over the boot and it pretty much already did what the videos show, and that was before I applied the sealant. I guess the paint is very smooth being so new, but I will see when I wash it on the weekend if it is as good as the videos look on the rest of the car.

I took it out and had a good look at it today. It does look stunning. It definitely looks better then when I picked it up. At the moment I would certainly recommend it to somebody with a new car. I just hope it lasts a while.

Here are 2 of many pics I took.

post-1773-1190630914_thumb.jpg

post-1773-1190630936_thumb.jpg