Hi folks

Had my IS250 for about 3 weeks now.

To ensure I keep the paintwork at it's best I'm looking at getting a machine to help with otherwise gruelling task of applying and removing buffing and polishing compounds.

They rave about a "PC" machine in the US forums, but appears to be unavailable here.

What are you guys using? and where do you then get the appropriate boots/bonnets to get the job done?

Thanks

I strongly do not recommend any buffer machines as they will easily create swirl marks. Can't vouch for any overseas products but what's available here are a no no.

If you value your car as much as me, we would only use good old fashion labour to clean/wax it.

I don't know, from what i heard from all, there is not a machine (and material used) that doesn't create swirl marks. Use at your own risk.

I don't know, from what i heard from all, there is not a machine (and material used) that doesn't create swirl marks. Use at your own risk.

I'm happy to use elbow grease a few times a year. But would be nice if it was easy and safe, to the finish, to use some extra help. The US sites rave about the random orbit polishing machines, and appropriate boots etc.

It seems the machines in US are about $US200 a pop (see meguiars and autopia-carcare). So I'm not in a hurry to import one of these, and I figured the $40 jobbies from Supercheap are unlikely to be built for performance.

I'll just stick to hand claying and then hand polishing with the Meguiars NXT tech wax.

I'm happy to just wash my car once a fortnight. I won't be waxing it cos it takes a good part of a whole day to do it (wash and wax) and that's to long for me. Rather spend the time watching tv and relaxing. Besides, i learnt from previous cars experience that the more i take care or the car the more *BLEEP* happens, eg. scratches, ding etc.

You're probably right.

My last car had a large ding in the rear passenger door for 3 years. I thought I'd get it fixed when something more worthy happened to the car. It never did, so I had to get it fixed to sell it when I got the new IS.

Oh well.

Trust me, sh.it will happen when you become over pedantic about things. Over worrying and over protecting your car will not save it from fate. I mean how often have you washed your car and the next day it rained?

Trust me, sh.it will happen when you become over pedantic about things. Over worrying and over protecting your car will not save it from fate. I mean how often have you washed your car and the next day it rained?

tell me about it!!!

washed my car and rained for 1 entire week

At least it started clean.

If you use that logic then theres no point washing the dishes, or changing your sheets.

I love driving a newly cleaned car, even if I'm the only one that knows it's been recently done. It also makes sure the finish keeps looking fresh and the nasties don't take hold to dull the paintwork, and gets rid of brake dust.......but that's another topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Some color have a shinnier finish to them than others. This is given, and no matter how much you wax your car (if you do have that dull color finish), it will at best shine to the same degree as another car with shinny paint with just a wash.

I left my wheels dusty as i couldnt see any point of washing them when they take only 2-3 days to go all dusty again. i'm getting new wheels and when i do i will want to wash them everyday i recon. :)

I can't see the point in having a car look lovely and clean and then not washing the rims. It takes bugger all time to do and really sets the car off properly when you clean it. :P

Have fun keeping your new wheels clean when you do get them ldc. BTW the black on my car looks superb when clean and polished, but doesn't look clean as long as the white and red cars I've had before ;)

My rims are the 16" and are not what i would want to showcase if u know what i mean? It they were the 18" then i would feel differently.

I like my car as much as everyone like theirs don't get me wrong. I just want to give it the right level of love that it deserves at this stage (stock Prestige) cos i know i will want to like it more and more when i get wheels and other stuff. If my car was a luxury sports, i recon i would not be saying all this lol!!!

I strongly do not recommend any buffer machines as they will easily create swirl marks. Can't vouch for any overseas products but what's available here are a no no.

If you value your car as much as me, we would only use good old fashion labour to clean/wax it.

agree totally.

I bought one of those Supercheap buffers thinking it would be a labour saving device. I used it one, and then threw it in the corner of the garage never to be used again. What a piece of *BLEEP*, and it's cover was lambswool.

Any good detailer doesn't use machines, so why would you?

• 1 year later...

agree totally.

I bought one of those Super cheap buffers thinking it would be a labour saving device. I used it one, and then threw it in the corner of the garage never to be used again. What a piece of *BLEEP*, and it's cover was lambswool.

Any good detail doesn't use machines, so why would you?

Sorry Buddy but i disagree !

I am a professional detailer and a member of this forum, i have been polishing top end cars for fourteen years and if you know what you are doing you can achieve excellent results with rotary polishers and other machines !

And i know that there are thousands of variables when it comes

to paint correction ( Machine Polishing ) to further prove my point check out these links.

http://www.detailparadise.com.au/modules.p...opic&t=3092

http://www.detailparadise.com.au/modules.p...opic&t=3087

http://www.detailparadise.com.au/modules.p...opic&t=2943

http://www.detailparadise.com.au/modules.p...opic&t=3003

http://www.detailparadise.com.au/modules.p...opic&t=2959

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=70660

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=58306

Thank you !

Regards Mario :D