Upgrading Brakes!

I am aware of the "green stuff" brake pads but do they really work.

It is possible to upgrade with vented disc's etc, but do just the pads really make a difference?

My car will be due for a service at Toyota shortly, and I am about to head to Sydney in couple weeks and plan to do a bit of shopping! Would there be a moral problem for Toyota to install after market pads? And if not is it really worth while looking at "green stuff"?

I may be interested in upgrading pads but dont wanna spend mega bucks doing it. Does any1 have any ideas?

Thanx

Stephen.

I am aware of the "green stuff" brake pads but do they really work.

It is possible to upgrade with vented disc's etc, but do just the pads really make a difference?

My car will be due for a service at Toyota shortly, and I am about to head to Sydney in couple weeks and plan to do a bit of shopping! Would there be a moral problem for Toyota to install after market pads? And if not is it really worth while looking at "green stuff"?

I may be interested in upgrading pads but dont wanna spend mega bucks doing it. Does any1 have any ideas?

Thanx

Stephen.

i had tried green stuff~~ you can only feel it work better than normal pads after race your tezza few laps~~ otherwise you cant feel much difference.

in my opinion, only thing make those pads better than others is their working temp higher.

Those slotted discs are expensive~~My friend bought two front discs from EBC(slotted and holes) cost him 1000nzd~

dont buy green stuff~~ i think TRD, TOMS, or other JDM pads are far better than the ebc *BLEEP*~

So it ISN'T just my driving!!!

That would certainly be worth the price of addmission.. IMHO the standard brakes do an exceptional job, they are far better than most other stock braking setups. I am thinking about braided lines though, as i would like to improve the braking feel under my foot. Has anyone done this?

DBA make exceptional brakes, at least the cars i have come across with them fitted really stopped in a hurry! And they are local product which generally = good bang for your buck.

Things to consider though

- better pads often wear your discs out faster

- better (slotted) discs wear your pads out faster

Also - HAS anyone experimented with different braking fluid?

Mr 2JZ-GTE-IS200, i expect you contribute to this discussion???

matt

Ok - first things first. The IS200 uses the same brake set-up as the GS range - and therefore is an excellent standard setup for most drivers.

Unless you are planning on doing 1/4 miles or trackdays, leave them standard.

Grooved and vented are good (NOT EBC - I warped my set in 2 months) but DBA or Black Diamond.

Pads - EBC are good for less brake dust, but Mintex race pads come highly reccomended.

I am having braided brake lines and 5.1 fluid put in soon, so will let you know if that helps improve the braking performance on a track...

Zee.

Theres many ways of going about this and many reasons for poor brakes. The most common reason for bad/poor brakes is because people play around with a pretty good set up in the first place.

1. Too harder compound which normally requires higher temps to work effectively.

2. Too softer compound which throw brake dust every where and wear parts away quicker.

Braided lines will give you a harder pedal but you must make sure that the braided lines you are using are certified otherwise they could fail vehicle inspection. Check that they have the correct cert numbers attached.

There are a number of good quality pads brands around like PAGID etc, but the Altezza come with a pretty good set up factory standard, ie; good diameter (296mm) and thickness disc (32mm) and a twin 45mm calliper each side, on the SXE10 model.

Just be carefull and check with your local Toyota dealer as they also can offer you a better pad choice.

Boothy :)