• 4 weeks later...

theres a heap of other pads available that dont produce dust like the factory ones. just go into repco or where ever and explain to them your situation and they will set you up with decent pads, providing u get a staff member that has half a brain.

Beware though, I had Bendix ultimates on my other car, even though the pads produced less dust they ate into the rotor.

I'm assuming it's the hard compound in the pads themselves.

I'm not sure about the IS250, but the pads might be of soft compound material. I rather replace pads than rotors. Unless you want to upgrade to something to DBA or slotted types.

Beware though, I had Bendix ultimates on my other car, even though the pads produced less dust they ate into the rotor.

I'm not sure about the IS250, but the pads might be of soft compound material. I rather replace pads than rotors. Unless you want to upgrade to something to DBA or slotted types.

Im with you on that one jomster!!! Although I do think that there might be a slightly better compromise then we currently have on as standard!!

Im with you on that one jomster!!! Although I do think that there might be a slightly better compromise then we currently have on as standard!!

Hmm sio are bendix bad for the IS200? I got my back brake pads changed and the guy recommended Bendix. Hmmm I wouldnt have a clue as i dont know much about cars.

Hmm sio are bendix bad for the IS200? I got my back brake pads changed and the guy recommended Bendix. Hmmm I wouldnt have a clue as i dont know much about cars.

No. Bendix make very good pads, it's just that the material they are made from may be a different composition to the ones on our Lexus' as OEM. Lexus will have spent some time matching the pads composition with the discs/rotors composition for the performance they were looking for. By changing one or the other you affect the original performance. Usually it's pretty minor and most people wont pick the difference.

I'm sure your new pads will be fine.

i tried using some polish on the wheels today.. like polish for the paint. maybe that will stop it sticking?

Nope. Tried that. It makes it a little easier to remove but certainly did not stop it collecting on the wheels.

Maybe it's just me, but I see lots of people driving their new BMW, Merc, alfa, Audi etc with black front wheels, obviously never washed, and appearing to be happy to do so, I just don't get it. :blink:

This is what I have in mind, what do you guys think?

http://www.project-mu.com.au/en/products/pad_ns.php

Hey Akuma, I read some of the reviews, and they sound awesome. They all say that there is no brake fade, minimal dust (the dust that does come off doesn't tend to stick), and the stopping is awesome!! By them saying that, im assuming that it would be softer compound and thus hopefully not eat to quickly into the oem rotors!!

This is one of the reviews I read!

So I go do the proper bed in procedure and then I go do some high speed braking. First I get to about 120 and come down to 90 and then speed up again, then slow down to 60. There is no fade, the brakes are very grabby and must I say better than stock. These pads haev lots of bite and dont give up. I never got one squeal out of them.

These pads are an ideal track setup and will keep your wheels clean everyday. These pads emit brake dust that will not stick to your wheels. This makes them better than an EBC pad with all the performance of stock and then some. I recommend these brake pads. I will post reviews after AutoX and road racing. So far so good, get the MU!

Tell you what, i'm keen to give them a go. I have only had the car for one afternoon yesterday, and the amount of dust on the front wheels was rediculous. Anything to stop that. But may have to wait a bit, the cash is tight now and still need to tint.

Tell you what, i'm keen to give them a go. I have only had the car for one afternoon yesterday, and the amount of dust on the front wheels was rediculous. Anything to stop that. But may have to wait a bit, the cash is tight now and still need to tint.

i'd love too but my pads still have plenty of life left in them. i will try them out as soon as i need new pads.

• 4 weeks later...

From the day I picked up my new IS, I couldn't believe the amount of brake dust being built up on the wheels. I was cleaning it every 3rd day and it was starting to really sh*t me. I requested that Lexus change the pads under warranty but they acknowledged that it is a known issue (just thought I'd try my luck ;) ).

Anyway, I thought I'd do a little experiment. On Monday, I purchased some Armor All Wheel Protectant from Super Cheap Auto and thought I'd give it a go, but was quite sceptical. Monday night, I washed the two front wheels and treated the left wheel only to see what difference, if any, it would actually make. I knew that people had tried it before and hadn't had success. 2 days later and I'm really impressed with how clean the treated wheel is. I have included photos below to show the difference between the two and the amount of dirt wiped off by my finger. While there was still a tiny amount of surface dust on the treated wheel, it is obvious to see that it worked.

No, I DO NOT work for Armor All, just another IS driver frustrated with the constant dirty rims with a clean car. I don't know how long it will last or if I will need to re-apply when I give the wheels a good clean; I'll just have to see how it goes over the next few weeks and will update then.

Here's to cleaner rims!

Armor All Wheel Protectant

DSCN3701.jpg

Untreated right wheel

DSCN3699.jpg

Treated left wheel

DSCN3700.jpg

I noticed today that after the rain in Sydney and a few more days of driving, it is still pretty damn clean, quite impressive. Although, I can see that dust is starting to build up on where I wiped my finger. So it would seem that once they are cleaned or wiped, that it would need to be re-applied. I'll see how it goes when I wash it on the week end.