I am about to replace speakers in car.

I am trying to start the ball rolling before it goes in to get professionally done.

Does any1 know what size speakers are mounted in the rear? Are they 6x9's or 5x7's?

How do you actually get to them?

Thanx

Stephen.

Get to them from underneath in the boot, afaik. But then again, I'm a dubious source as mine have mysteriously been removed.

About to be replaced with Soundstream XTS6.9s though - so I hope the holes are 6x9! :D

the rear speakers are 7x10. You have to make up an adapter plate to properly fit 6x9's. I can email you pix of mine...i cant put any up as ive run out of space on my host

You have to take out the rear seats and rear deck then you can use a 10mm socket...the smallest one you can find prefferably and take out the speakers. Add about 2-3hours labour to take out the seats and make up the adapter plates.

SirNixAlot is correct,

The seats shouldnt take that long to get out, you will need to cut the wires close to the speaker as you can as the wires are soldered to the speaker, unless you are going to replace the whole wiring?

let us know how you get on, what are you puttting in?

Ben

I stand wholly corrected! Will aftermarket 7x10s fit straight in (with appropriate hole drilling)? I shall have to change to another speaker perhaps.... Woo, even more midbass :P

I'm definitely replacing all the wiring as the rears are gonna have 100W RMS going through 'em. :-)

I stand wholly corrected! Will aftermarket 7x10s fit straight in (with appropriate hole drilling)? I shall have to change to another speaker perhaps.... Woo, even more midbass :P

I'm definitely replacing all the wiring as the rears are gonna have 100W RMS going through 'em. :-)

i dont think anyone makes a 7x10.....the adapter plate isnt that hard to make...just get a sheet of aluminum and make an outline of the stock speakers...cut that out then use the cut out shape for the 6x9's...voila adapter plates.

If you use metal to make the plates line one side with dynamat ...the side that will contact the rear deck. This is to prevent rattling.

I had a look at replacing rear speakers last nite, gave that a miss and looked at the front. It is all to time consuming and at 9pm especially when you dont have any tools to make any adaptors anyway.

I have given it a miss, as I was only trying to speed things up. It's goes in the morning to Installer Services New Market to get all fitted anyway.

You can get to rear speakers, just the plastic moulding (top plate) does have to be broken from the secured platform.

I have a CQ-C9800U head unit (70W x 4)

and then have some cheap speakers to run just so that i dont blow the factory ones. Don't have any money for the real stuff yet.

Will let you know how it all goes.

Stephen.

I just fitted Panasonic 3-Way 6x9's to the rear and they seemed to fit straight in with no need to fit a spacer :huh:

I also fitted Soundstream SPL 60 components to the front......they did need a spacer.....however if you dont want to keep your factory speakers at all you can use these as spacers with a small modification..... :D

hi

im new to owning an altezza

and want to get a new head deck so whats the jist ?

has anyone here got an aftermkt head deck and if yes what did u use as a surround the new head deck when replacing the old one ?

its just that i want to put in my sub and amp and im guessing the standard head unit doesnt have rca outs ?

That there would be correct. The factory unit does not have RCA outs so it a lil more fun to add amps and subs.

There are a couple places you can get dash adaptors for the head unit. Matt Lai can get you one at factory colour, or othewise I got mine thru Installer Services New Market. It not factory coloue but it works fine.

Stephen.

hi

im new to owning an altezza

and want to get a new head deck so whats the jist ?

has anyone here got an aftermkt head deck and if yes what did u use as a surround the new head deck when replacing the old one ?

its just that i want to put in my sub and amp and im guessing the standard head unit doesnt have rca outs ?

hey, welcome to the club

you can get a JDM Altezza DIN Faceplate, available through frylai

it goes around the standard head unit size, also fits the double din size

altezzadin.jpg

cheers for the replies guys

yeah those are wht i want but yeah wat price am i looking at and i had a quick look and noticed i couldnt find any screw holes ?

so how hard is it to get stnadard headunit out ?

It's a piece of cake to get the OEM headunit out... all you need to do is uninstall the parts from the top of the dash, I can hook you up with the din if you want as I got them in stock at a discounted price.

Matt :)

hey there vertex.. i havent installed this.. however, a few in this forum have and you will need to relocate the buttons elsewhere..

i'm sure it's mentioned in one of the threads where they ended up relocating the buttons..

also not that some ppl have turned trc off by default so do not need the button anymore as well. or they may have swapped out the factory seats so do not use the heat warmer button anymore.

In regard the rear speakers. I have the install all complete now! Nice tidy job and sounds not to bad. Lil more intense than the factory, hehehe.

The 6x9 basically bolted straight in from what i can tell. Just the screws are in dif location now . The factory grill and all are still in place also.

I don't believe all cars will have the heat button for the seats. Isnt this just a Lexus option?

Matt...How much are we looking at, for the DIN ?

Also, has any members done this? and where did they put the heated seats and TRAC buttons?

Not sure how much they cost now, but I recently got mine and it was $115 shipped. This was a special price as I got it with my eyelids though.

The DIN unit that frylai can source has room for two buttons to be mounted, i.e. TRC and Snow normally, although TRC and heated seats would work.

Instead of having the factory head unit, and then the separate plastic clipped in bit that holds the buttons, you have a single plastic unit.

One thing to be wary of is that even with the double DIN surround in place, you will likely end up with a 3-4mm gap between the faceplate of your aftermarket head unit and the surround - it's not generally possible to fit the surround that comes with your aftermarket head unit into this gap between the faceplate and surround.

Talking to the guys at Streetsoundz, they said that Matt's surround was much better than the one they sourced locally though, so probably the best you can do. :-)

I'll post pics of what I mean regarding the gap this weekend if I can borrow a digicam. :]

And incidentally, heated seats were an L-edition and/or Lexus option afaik. Do the L-editions then not have the SNOW button, or is it mounted elsewhere?

The 6x9s bolted straight into mine too, couple of new screw holes. Plenty of room under the passenger seats for amps too. :D