I would say so!! I have similar (and are looking to sell towards the end of the year, probably to update and get another is250!) As a result, I've been keeping an eye on the market, and provided is all in good condition blah blah blah - and for those kms, they are about 43-48 at a dealer, and about 40-45 privately. I noticed a sudden rush of is250's on the market just before Xmas (whether that be the economic downturn, even '08 models were coming on the market) which caused the 2nd hand price to drop about $5-7k in just a few months!

If it has the enhancement pack, then that is a brilliant deal. Given there is still balance of new car warranty, the current owner would have nothing to hide, and Lexus' warranty and after-sales service is as comprehensive and inclusive as you can get. I would check tyre condition though - original factory fitted Bridgestone Potenzas rarely last past 50k, and a set of 4 fitted and balanced is about $1k. Depending on how hard the vehicle has been driven, front brakes will be due for a refit/machine soon (about 60k usually).

Don't get hung up too much on kms with this model, or any Lexus for that matter. I'd be focusing more on brakes/tyres and cosmetics (paintwork, interior - how well the car has been looked after). Good luck.

Spend $30 and do a vCheck. That will show if it has been in a prang or stolen and if is under finance etc. A good report.

I saved my ass when I was looking to buy. I found a 2007 Sports MT with EMV, 20000km for under $50k; thought, too good to be true - it was. It had been written off but was fixed.

FrankyX and Bluey make good points - perhaps it is a bit too cheap? If you are in Melbourne, I would highly recommend 'Melbourne Auto Check'. I'm sure there would be equivalents in other capital cities. These guys are independent of the automotive clubs (RACV, NRMA, RACQ etc.) and give you a full 12 page report on the prospective vehicle.

For about $180, you get a full comprehensive 2 hr inspection of a vehicle, including x-raying duco thickness to work out if a panel has been resprayed, compression testing of the cylinders, drive test, full check of all panels, mechanics and electrics. Also each panel on the is250 has a unique panel identification tag to work out if a panel has been replaced.

There are 'sharks' out there that go to auction houses to purchase written off vehicles and then re-build illegally. Lets just say, avoid at all costs car yards that are linked to a panel beater!

the price is cheap, but i don't believe it is that cheap to be too concerned about (still get proper checks done though)

the private going price is at around 40k for that package...

i just picked up mine

05 sports model

no emv or leather (didn't care for these two points)

45k on the road with extended 3 year warranty (so 4 more years from nowish)

45k on the clock

from a dealer with all dealer benefits...dealer benefits usually expire after standard warranty if you purchase privately, but all my benefits have been extended.

free vaccum and wash, another car if car is getting fixed under warranty, service lloan car, free usuage of snow chains and other snow equip, free hilux loan car whenever i need it.

Akuma and Franky - the IS is actually holding its value as well as any car in its class. Its all relative - and its just the nature of the new and used car market over the past year, and the 2009 update to the IS hasnt helped that much. I did a bit of a check on-line (as Im planning to sell my 2006 IS later this year) and in this class, the IS is probably equal second-best with a comparable 3-series in terms of depreciation. The C-class just leads, the IS and comparable 3-series are joint second, the Alfa 159 is 3rd and the Audi A4 is fourth with the local luxury specced vehicles further behind.

And by nature (in every model of every car), the gap between the base and optioned-up models always shrinks over time. That's why you'll see a greater % depreciation in the SL than the P, also in the fact that many of the features in a 2006 SL which were new technology in that class at the time, are now a bit more commonplace in other brands and therefore dont have the selling potential they once did.

• 2 weeks later...

lexlex. Didyou end up buying the one you were asking about, here.

If the seller had nothing to worry about, I am sure he would have sent you to his Lexus dealer where he has it serviced where they can give you a rundown on the car's history.

I did that for my previous IS200 when I sold it privately and the buyer was very happy to be able to do that.

Sounds like a reasonable price to me. I bought my 06 IS250 Prestige with EMV and sunroof, and 38K kays on the clock back in November 08 for $43K from a private seller. At the time the Lexus dealer was selling an identical car with same kays except for different colour for 53K, which seemed way overpriced for me. The seller was desperate due to share margin calls at the time. I'd imagine there would be plenty of people in similar boat. Given the car you are thinking about has no sunroof or EMV, high 30K doesn't sound dodgy to me. I've seen Prestige models with no extras on carsales listed for high 40s, being advertised for good 4 months if not more, so I'd think you'd be paying a fair price there.

• 4 weeks later...

You can probably try the Lexus dealers if they have any old stock available. I was about to put in my deposit for a WRX and walked into the local dealership and found they had the MY08 IS250 on sale. $51,500 for a brand new prestige with moonroof and reverse sensor, bargin isn't it?

You can probably try the Lexus dealers if they have any old stock available. I was about to put in my deposit for a WRX and walked into the local dealership and found they had the MY08 IS250 on sale. $51,500 for a brand new prestige with moonroof and reverse sensor, bargin isn't it?

I didn't realise that they would do the sunroof without the EMV pack. I would check the the sunroof was oem!!!

The EMV pack in the prestige is what costs the $$$$$$!!